Bus from Chiang Mai to Vientiane

MickeyMaow

1 hour ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Get some fresh USD...but that trip sucks....the bar scene is dead in Vientiane so you will be used to that coming from cm.  BeerLaos from the mini markets are fun.

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

Fly!

Bus is hell.

Google how many accidents, deaths C.M. to Nong Khai.

Is everything in dollars in there? 

Yes I may fly I just want to get some feed back on the bus trip, if it's an ok journey I think I'll bus over and fly back.

you can a;so take a city bus from the border to central Vientiane for about 30 thb.  But if you are in a mad rush to file paperwork after the overnight bus, that would not be an option...also look out for Holidays...last time, I carried a box of wine for a Swede for a ride to UTH, but I had to listen to his motorbike crash horror story...

I've found bus travel in Thailand to be very uncomfortable, depending on the distance, of course.  But anything over a couple or three hours will tax your body.  Also, larger people, whether taller or otherwise bigger will be even more uncomfortable.  The headrest, cushioning, arm room and all just are suited for non-Asian bodies.

And then there's the crash factor to consider.

2 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

I've found bus travel in Thailand to be very uncomfortable, depending on the distance, of course.  But anything over a couple or three hours will tax your body.  Also, larger people, whether taller or otherwise bigger will be even more uncomfortable.  The headrest, cushioning, arm room and all just are suited for non-Asian bodies.

And then there's the crash factor to consider.

I concur with MrBrad.

I haven't ridden a bus in Thailand in perhaps 7 years and never will again. The last time I took a bus, the driver drove so dangerously that I was so nervous the entire time and couldn't get a wink of sleep. I arrived at my destination feeling absolutely exhausted. Same with mini-vans. The last time I took a minivan from BKK to Trat, people in the van were pleading with the driver to slow down and not get so close to other cars. He was driving 120-140 Km/h most of the time, with one hand, arguing with someone on his mobile that he held with his other hand. One lady couldn't take it and asked to get off only an hour out of BKK. I arrived soaked from perspiration and was shaken. I thought the whole family would die that day. Never again. Flying is so cheap these days and is the safest way to travel.

And to piss everyone off...

Nok Air has a "fly-n-ride" booking for about 5,000baht... death trap plane ride from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani... high speed bus to the boarder... and then overcrowded minivan from border to Vientiane -  :shock1:

I took the bus to Udon a long time ago. Overnight 10-12 hours. The bus was not quite as good as the buses that go to Bangkok. Rainy season and the bus had to drive through a few flooded roads that were as deep as the wheels. Arrived in Udonthani early morning feeling like you would after all night on a bus. Buses leave Udon to Nongkhai all the time, 1 hour. Over the bridge and into Lao. 

The Nok Air flight is the way to go. You don't need to book Nok Air all the way VTE. Minibuses are waiting outside for the Nok flight. 100, 150 baht to the bridge? I can't remember. Overnight in Nongkhai and go over the bridge the next morning and straight to the consulate is another way to do It. 

16 minutes ago, MickeyMaow said:

Flying looks like the way to go, though the earliest flight from CNX is at 16:20. What time does the border close?

Also coming back from udon Thani the fligh is around 14:00 could you get from Vientiane to udon airport on time?

There's a flight at 18.20

55 minutes ago, MickeyMaow said:

Yes I know.

Well excuse me....I don't understand why you are asking if you can rush back for the 14.00 flight if you already know there is another one 4 hours later? You haven't said what you're doing in Vientiane either so it's a little difficult for anyone to tell you if you can make it to Udon Thani airport by 14.00. Kinda depends on what time you leave Vientiane.

If you are going there to get a Thai visa then of course you can't make it back to Udon Thani in time for a 14.00 flight: the consulate doesn't open for people to collect their passports until 13.00

Archived