7-Eleven dumps AIS services

snoop1130

7-Eleven dumps AIS services

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

collage.jpg

BANGKOK — Those looking to top up their 1-2-Call cards and other AIS services will need to be more creative than walking into 7-Eleven.

The convenience store giant has stopped offering all services nationwide related to the mobile phone operator, Advanced Info Service PCL announced Thursday.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2016/10/27/7-eleven-dumps-ais-services/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-10-27

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Hard to imagine why the CP group don't welcome the 35 million AIS users anymore?

Just because they have an interest in True?

Because they wanted a higher percent of the sales it seems. Hard to say who will lose more money out of this. 711 doesn't get the 4% but AIS loses an insane amount of locations. I am on True but given the location of a 711 to my condo and nothing else very close I would switch to True based on just that. 

On the other hand I usually top on online so I guess it doesn't matter. I don't really see a winner here.

The essential of the report:

AIS services remain available at several locations: its retail storefronts; Boonterm top-up machines (often found outside 7-Eleven); ATMs; and markets such as Tops, Big C, Tesco Lotus and Family Mart.

So instead of walking in to the 7/11 use the little orange self-service machines at about every shop (is there one without?).

No fee from 100 Baht upward.

Somewhat inconsistent.

I wonder how long it will take 7/11 to cancel this contract too?

But even then thousands of locations for the self-service remain (for those who have no better alternative).

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Hard to imagine why the CP group don't welcome the 35 million AIS users anymore?

Just because they have an interest in True?

ExpatoilWorker: 'Just because they have an interest in True?': Why would you need another reason for the most wealthy clan in Thailand (yes, even more than ... it seems) to go on playing its monopolistic, controling, games? This family, of 'Chinese descent', like all the others in the league, has a strong grip on the 'food chain' here, from rice (would over 500,000Rai be true?), corn, and other crops., over eggs, chicken and pork (cheptel, feeders, production, processing and distribution), and prepared food, to the distribution of their stuff via their(!) ...7-Eleven, Tesco, and Makro, even present in what's left of competition Family Marts and Big C...

CP has been very briefly, softly and reverently, pointed a (little) finger at, a few times, by the anti-monopolistic instance (yes, there is one, but since it exists, for, erm, 'some reasons', it did not proceed on one, single, case yet, go figure why...).

CP is a powerhouse, owning so much in Thailand, and abroad, it has become a-state-in-the-state, and I alas, sadly, doubt even the NCPO, when it would be busy with essential stuff for the population, would dare to start, though long overdue, any bit of a fight with CP group.

So yes, IMO, because of True, and more coming, wait, in insurance and banking, more about (land-) communication too, just considering the 'positions' the group has more recently taken in, locally, in P.R. China (big!), and elsewhere. One thing you can trust these 'people' about, is never to do anything that does not make them richer, more powerfull and dominant. Basic Chinese familial logic...

How could the Thai people ever get control over their country again when there is no 'r' in front of evolution, I really don't see in anymore for quite some time...  

16 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Because they wanted a higher percent of the sales it seems. Hard to say who will lose more money out of this. 711 doesn't get the 4% but AIS loses an insane amount of locations. I am on True but given the location of a 711 to my condo and nothing else very close I would switch to True based on just that.

On the other hand I usually top on online so I guess it doesn't matter. I don't really see a winner here.

I used to have True, but switched to AIS due to overall crappy service from True.  So no way would I switch back to True.

You can use your Bank to top up.  I do it online via Bangkok Bank.  Not sure, but maybe you can top up via ATM too.  If so, no shortage of ATMs nationwide.  555555 Just about every 7/11 also has an ATM, so maybe 7/11 (CPAll) will end up being the big loser here.

In my rural neighborhood this will be tough as AIS is the only service available and the local 7-11 is the only convenient place to top off minutes. Hopefully they will install one of these kiosks others talk about.

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The essential of the report:

So instead of walking in to the 7/11 use the little orange self-service machines at about every shop (is there one without?).

No fee from 100 Baht upward.

Somewhat inconsistent.

I wonder how long it will take 7/11 to cancel this contract too?

But even then thousands of locations for the self-service remain (for those who have no better alternative).

I used one in Pattaya a while ago, it wanted 105 Baht for 100 Baht credit. (Something I didn't realize until after I'd inserted the 100 Baht note).

Edited by Andrew65

4 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Ban 7/11's full stop. Let the local shops and markets thrive. Empower the hard working small businesses, stop feeding the Fat Cat.

no thanks i dont like unhygenic crap

7 hours ago, lust said:

Why do people use pay/talk? Why not go on a monthly plan if you live here?

I tried to swap over to post pay a few years back, the red tape was off the charts so just stayed pre-paid.

1st of every month I log into my internet banking to pay rent/make car payments so the extra 30 seconds to throw some money on the phone is just the same as paying a phone bill anyways.

12 hours ago, anotheruser said:

From your point off vieuw yes, but many dont use cards even as internet Banking or online payments.

They will change provider and as for CP is just a small calculation, get 5% from AIS switch to TRUE and they better off.

That this is unthinkable business in other parts off the world yes, but this is Thailand and for the True chare holders good news as the share price below 7 Baht at this time while last year around 14 Baht.

9 hours ago, Johpa said:

In my rural neighborhood this will be tough as AIS is the only service available and the local 7-11 is the only convenient place to top off minutes. Hopefully they will install one of these kiosks others talk about.

Just top up online. Easy.

7 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I used one in Pattaya a while ago, it wanted 105 Baht for 100 Baht credit. (Something I didn't realize until after I'd inserted the 100 Baht note).

I went to top up at my local 7/11 yesterday and was told no have. The lady took me outside and showed me the machine and what to do - 100 baht in and added to my credit....

As far as I can see no fee.

first thing I did when I got my new AIS SIM card this month was to register the new number at my bank to get SMS transaction notifications and OTPs and then to top up online and now I'm good until June 2017...if ye got that facility anything else don't make no sense...

12 hours ago, bangrak said:

ExpatoilWorker: 'Just because they have an interest in True?': Why would you need another reason for the most wealthy clan in Thailand (yes, even more than ... it seems) to go on playing its monopolistic, controling, games? This family, of 'Chinese descent', like all the others in the league, has a strong grip on the 'food chain' here, from rice (would over 500,000Rai be true?), corn, and other crops., over eggs, chicken and pork (cheptel, feeders, production, processing and distribution), and prepared food, to the distribution of their stuff via their(!) ...7-Eleven, Tesco, and Makro, even present in what's left of competition Family Marts and Big C...

CP has been very briefly, softly and reverently, pointed a (little) finger at, a few times, by the anti-monopolistic instance (yes, there is one, but since it exists, for, erm, 'some reasons', it did not proceed on one, single, case yet, go figure why...).

CP is a powerhouse, owning so much in Thailand, and abroad, it has become a-state-in-the-state, and I alas, sadly, doubt even the NCPO, when it would be busy with essential stuff for the population, would dare to start, though long overdue, any bit of a fight with CP group.

So yes, IMO, because of True, and more coming, wait, in insurance and banking, more about (land-) communication too, just considering the 'positions' the group has more recently taken in, locally, in P.R. China (big!), and elsewhere. One thing you can trust these 'people' about, is never to do anything that does not make them richer, more powerfull and dominant. Basic Chinese familial logic...

How could the Thai people ever get control over their country again when there is no 'r' in front of evolution, I really don't see in anymore for quite some time...  

Who sponsored the 2013/14 protests ?

I just top up at the K bank ATM no problem. Just change my habit of buying at 711. In the end they will not only loose the 4% but also all the walkin ad hoc purchases of AIS clients. For example in the past I bought my top up at 7 and the bread and milk, now I top up at Makro's ATM and buy my bread and milk there.