7-Eleven dumps AIS services

snoop1130

Innit! Although, the walk to my PC is a little shorter than the walk to my scooter, so I would obviously have preferred to knuckle a few keys than wobble my way to Tops, especially as the staff there are like extras in an effin zombie film.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

Try using your Visa card. That's how I do it and don't ge hit with a service fee.

Yes...just topped up with MasterCard and NO processing fee. Seems direct credit card purchases get what you pay for. ß300 on the CC got me ß300 on the phone! 

This seems like a logical step for 7-Eleven to take after they started selling True-branded phones a few years ago. I'll wager that many people simply switch to True as they can keep their same number. This will only affect people in a few locations where only AIS is available and in those cases, they'll probably be one of those little orange machines to top up places outside a local shop. 

23 hours ago, Johpa said:

In my rural neighborhood this will be tough as AIS is the only service available and the local 7-11 is the only convenient place to top off minutes. Hopefully they will install one of these kiosks others talk about.

14 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Just top up online. Easy.

Easy for those with a credit card and online banking but not so easy for my neighbors in the rural villages where those are not an option and AIS is pretty much a monopoly for local cell service. In many of the more mountainous regions up north AIS is the only service and the local 7/11 was the only nearby location to top off.

13 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

What is the reason for 7/11 stopping the sale of AIS top up cards. Is it Taksin related?

Big business is big business. Most people are unaware of the connection. If you can still associate AIS with Thaksin then not too difficult to associate True with his counterpart....previously Orange.

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Big business is big business. Most people are unaware of the connection. If you can still associate AIS with Thaksin then not too difficult to associate True with his counterpart....previously Orange.

Remember what the General said about CAT vs AIS.one has 22000 employees and loses money every quarter...the other has 10000 employees and does five times the revenue...also makes money...who cares who owns it really.

15 hours ago, Rob13 said:

I use it because it's cheap and easy. And i can do it when I'm not in Thailand to keep my sim active.

I wouldn't trust some funky third-party website with my financial information. Why not just use the AIS app or website to top-up. If you have a thai bank account, just top up online.

13 hours ago, tropo said:

Everyone is going on about using online banking to top up SIMs as though it's some sort of hidden secret that only the very technologically advanced can achieve.

It's not relevant to the topic. Percentage wise a very small number of people can just go online to top up through mobile or PC banking. A lot of people wouldn't even know how to do it, and most tourists certainly don't bother.

It's a huge problem for AIS and a chance for CP to increase True market share.

Can also just use AIS's own app...asumming these folks have joined the 10 year old smartphone revolution. 

8 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I wouldn't trust some funky third-party website with my financial information. Why not just use the AIS app or website to top-up. If you have a thai bank account

I've been using them over a year and haven't had any problems. I know a few others doing the same ; they haven't had any problems.

No sense in fixing what isn't broke.

12 hours ago, MaiDong said:

It's a bit odd that you would quote my real name, I'm not sure that's listed anywhere on this site is it? But anyhow, having credit on my phone isn't a priority, I use WiFi mostly anyway, so don't feel sorry for me. My UK bank account, on the other hand, looks fine thank you very much.

Unless you're a friend and I simply don't know your thaivisa name, I would assume that you're coming over as a bit of a ****

Must be creepy knowing one of your "friends" is an a-hole and trolling you online ?

6 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

I've been using them over a year and haven't had any problems. I know a few others doing the same ; they haven't had any problems.

No sense in fixing what isn't broke.

If you trust it fine...I'm assuming you have to provide them with a credit or debit card number to facilitate the transaction. Therefore, your information resides on their server...big companies like Target and Sony get hacked so what's the security of some website nobody's really heard of? Topping up a mobile phone is no so important to me to use such a service.

14 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

If you trust it fine.

I trust this service  as much as anyything I do online. It's not so much the company as the hackers trying to get to thier servers that's a problem. I doubt any online company can offer 100% protection.  Plus, the AIS site a pain in the arse to navigate.

Edited by Rob13

4 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

I trust this service  as much as anyything I do online. It's not so much the company as the hackers trying to get to thier servers that's a problem. I doubt any online company can offer 100% protection.  

Of course it's the hacker's that are the problem...I'm just saying it's moe likely that multi-billion dollar multinational corporations are likely to have better IT security departments than so little website and even they get hacked. I wouldn't give that little website a chance...your infos probably already fore sale on the Dark Web ?

2 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Of course it's the hacker's that are the problem...I'm just saying it's moe likely that multi-billion dollar multinational corporations are likely to have better IT security departments than so little website and even they get hacked. I wouldn't give that little website a chance...your infos probably already fore sale on the Dark Web ?

My number got hacked from Amazon last year. If you think you're safe cuz you're using a big company; you're only fooling yourself. Buy  enough stuff online eventually you'll get hacked,. IME so far the card companies have picked up the tab for any problems with not much inconvenience to me.

On 10/28/2016 at 10:03 AM, 55Jay said:

Looked at that posted link to Mobile Top Up dot com....

AIS website has its own top up options instead of using 3rd party.

http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/topup.aspx

Will try their online/iBanking payment method here in a minute.  First time, it's all so new and exciting!  

caveman-cell-phone-01.jpg

Logged into Bangkok Bank iBanking, clicked on Transfers/TopUps and there was a list of service providers.  Clicked on AIS 12Calltopup, did the OTP, then a 100 Baht top up.  No fee.  Too easy. 

I had to laugh at myself, again, as usual, for not thinking outside the box.  Until this article was posted on TV, topping up the phone any other way besides physically going to 7-11 (or whatever), just never occurred to me.   Even more embarrassing,  the number of times my wife has gone out shopping, always reminds me to turn my phone on, but I tell her she would have to call me because I have no phone credit.  Said whilst sitting at my desk in front of the computer.... Jeezzz!  :blush:

7 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Can also just use AIS's own app...asumming these folks have joined the 10 year old smartphone revolution. 

Yes, yes, yes... there are still plenty of ways to load an AIS SIM. This report is about losing over 8000 ways to do it.  

18 hours ago, Johpa said:

Easy for those with a credit card and online banking but not so easy for my neighbors in the rural villages where those are not an option and AIS is pretty much a monopoly for local cell service. In many of the more mountainous regions up north AIS is the only service and the local 7/11 was the only nearby location to top off.

No need for a credit card. Top ups can be done via a smart phone app from any ordinary savings account. Most rural Thais have smart phones and savings accounts these days. Enrollment in online banking is easy for anyone with a savings account and the smart phone app uses the same system . Takes seconds to top up . 

Edited by dbrenn

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:16 PM, lust said:
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:16 PM, lust said:

Why do people use pay/talk? Why not go on a monthly plan if you live here?

Why do people use pay/talk? Why not go on a monthly plan if you live here?

Because not everyone spends all day whapping on the phone is why. My phone costs me around 50 THB a month. Find a monthly plan that cheap if you can.

On October 27, 2016 at 11:14 PM, tukkytuktuk said:

Ban 7/11's full stop. Let the local shops and markets thrive. Empower the hard working small businesses, stop feeding the Fat Cat.

7/11 stores are the most consistent store available and I never stop for gas or rest unless 7/11 is there with proper toilets and very consistent service, with many items I cannot find at any other stores. I may miss this phone service a bit, but I can get over that. I would love to help the little guy if he would only learn to help himself. Having this or that sometimes if open at all is not going to fly with me.

On October 28, 2016 at 10:50 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I will say this about 711...never seen them implicated in the counterfeit liquor scandals , which are rampant.  As far as my Citi card being denied..got an email from Citii asking if it was OK, and also go one from mobiletopup checking on the transaction.

It is also the only store with consistently fresh ice cream, Tesco and Mackro cannot be trusted I found. Not much selection but always good.

Some details about the MobileTopup.com service:

• There is a fee for Paypal, see below for explanation.  
  • There is no fee for Credit / Debit.  
  • Credit cards are processed using the Thai company Omise.co - who tokenizes the card details for merchants and stores them on their PCI compliant servers.  Likely the most secure CC processing in Thailand.  
  • Omise uses transactions with 3D Secure ( no chargebacks), and clear via Bangkok Bank in Thai Baht.
  • A credit / debit must work with 3D Secure ( most do) and be able to make a payment in Thailand to work.
  • Fees explained:  Profit on 100 topup is 4 Baht, and Paypal charges about 5-6 Baht, not including cost of chargebacks / fraud, so more like a cost of about 20 Baht.  Therefore, a premium is charged for using Paypal.
  • Designed to help the debit/ credit card using foreign market who want a simple top up solution.