Why so much criticism of Thailand?

joeyg

There are v few posters that criticise everything Thai - although a number will criticise various things that annoy them.  This is a largely expat forum, so posters will ask or receive advice/criticise some aspects of living in Thailand/praise the things they like.

Unfortunately, its human nature that on the whole we only praise when somebody has done something wonderful - but criticise far more easily.

Edit - Something along the lines of 'bad news has gone round the world whilst good news is still putting on its boots'.  Apologies for slightly changing an old 'saying'.

Edited by dick dasterdly

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand is a great country, maybe you would prefer Alaska?
people are broke in the Stated, they vote Hillary so they can keep their door wide open with the ac running on freezing cold . they don't care, they got free money with their ebt card. they don't want go work even if jobs pay well. they prefer stay miserably at home sitting on a rocking chair with a fridge full of beers and smoke pots twice a day(it's called the American dream LOL)

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-americans-have-less-than-1000-in-savings-2015-10-06

20 minutes ago, Strange said:

But you don't have a lot of choice, and you don't know sometimes when you are getting gouged. Buy an air-con at a "shop" and while it may have a listed price, we both know that its a numbers game and the discount favors what they believe you can afford. Its not like US or AU where we can research an item online and get a baseline of the actual cost, or see online what people pay for a certain product. Or word of mouth on where to go for a certain price because what you pay, what a Thai pays, or what I pay, in the end, is going to be different. 

I don't really complain about this, I just pay most of the time. Ill pay a little extra to avoid the hassle or drive blindly to 4-5-6 shops to save 1K baht. But Im very aware of it and don't agree with it. I also think its a shit business plan to gouge, lie, and scam to sell a product for maximum profit to 1 customer when you can sell 10 for cheaper and keep customers but hey, its their house & their rules. 

You say I can't change they way they view me as rich, well, I can. I don't associate with anyone that views me like that, just like I don't hang out in a trailer park in the US. 

I play the game to save myself the hassle but I don't agree with it. 

I hear yah.

I am fortunate enough to have a street wise wife who is sharp as a razor when it comes to being ripped off.

I will deliberately do not go into a shop every now and again, because we all know they will hit you with the numbers game, however this is seldom, wife stands tall enough to serve it to them, e.g. you want the business or we give it to someone else, in a nice subtle way.

I am happy to pay the normal prices at for example, HomePro or index living and the majors, but the small retailers she hammers, although there was one who wouldn't drop a single baht for 3 air conditioners, suffice to say the local air conditioning guy dropped 5,000 baht for the same products, but when he came to install them, we noticed the one of the air conditioners had a smaller BTU to what we were quoted for, OMG I swear the whole village could hear my wife, she is usually a quiet and tame girl, the builders who were finishing off here and there looked at me making gestures with their hands, signals to say that my wife was cutting his throat, so he was caught out, his reason at 1st was it was a new model, well that didn't work because she Googled the model number, then he said; sister, I didn't check the order, he swore it was a mistake, suffice to say he constantly apologised to her, and she said NEVER call me sister, because brothers do not rob from their own (?) and he was forced to reduce his quoted price to reflect the products we purchased, and my wife made sure he would come back to do a free re-gas and clean on all 3 air conditioners when we required or she would let the village know of his F-up, he even came back after 4 weeks and put in an additional TV installation for us when called, he didn't want to charge us, but I couldn't have that, so we gave him 300 baht for his 2 hours of labour, cheap labour yes.

We had previously used him before to install a couple of TV's and an air conditioner, you would think he would know better, but as my wife says, you trust know one, so I agree with you, but its human nature and can happen anywhere, anybody without morals and principals will try you.

We have always had the understanding, that when she is in Australia she does as I do, when I am in Thailand I do as she does and it works.

I am also like you, I don't associate with anyone, language barrier, that and I have always liked to keep to myself.

Because it is the nature of Human beings to react to anything new with fear and distrust at first contact with a new situation.

And fear and distrust are more likely to generate criticisim which is an easy first reaction. requiring no serious thought.

Thinking about new and different things is not something humans do well..

We fear change and different ideas, but we like our old familiar ways.

Change can be dagerous so we ctiticise it at first hearing.

That is our human nature, though we don't like to admit it.

22 hours ago, wump said:

What really annoys me is that a large portion of Thais shows no care about people of foreign descent. They use slave ships for fishing and people get murdered on a regular basis. But nobody cares because it's just "dumb, dark-skinned Cambodians". Then there is refugee prison camps in the jungle where people are slaughtered and hold for ransom. Again the population won't care because it's foreigners.

What sickens me most is the face thing. Nobody dares to challenge authority and everyone is so proud of their country with all its shortcomings. Speak about any problem and the reply will be that you are free to leave if you don't like it. It's always face face face and never any problem-solving. Let's cover up everything and continue as usual, feeling damn proud in the process :sick:

So true....it's refreshing to read this !!! thx for posting.

5 hours ago, joeyg said:

On this happy note I will depart.  This thread has followed an extremely predictable course.  I prefer not to ride it into the gutter.  Thanks again for paying.  And remember only floss the teeth you want to keep.

Hi Joey

You know I have not read this thread but....

When I first saw the title & who started the thread I thought to myself wow...this thread has run many weeks.

Then I realized no it was other threads of yours.

Happy your happy really & there are many of us who are...........

But...it does appear many of your threads ( the ones not closed by a mod at least )

I really like Thailand!

Am I the only one that's tired of Thailand bashing?

Look at the "Train Wrecks" in Your own Countries

Will Thailand become more dangerous specifically for Americans?

are basically a form of fishing for reactions between your ragging on the USA or

proclaiming your love for your current squeeze country

But really...Am happy your happy but you should maybe just be happy

your happy too. Instead of trying to jerk chains for reactions.....

Enjoy :wink:

Edited by mania

10 minutes ago, Strange said:

No, no I don't. 

What is the question?

OK.  For the 3 rd and last time (And I never accused you of, as you said, of drug abuse or "mental illness", I can get the quote but) Are you under the influence of drugs or do you have a history of drug or alcohol abuse?

Edited by joeyg

Just now, Strange said:

Take it as a yes? 

I mean you can take it anyway you want. Lube it up though. HIV is contagious. 

I don't understand.  And my subspecialty is infectious disease. Lube what up?  Yes HIV is contagious. Where are you going with this?  Threats of physical violence?  Lubing up?