How much does 26 rai of rice fields yield per year?

ghworker2010

5 hours ago, somo said:

What variety of rice? There are many. Low yield, high price, high yield low price and everything in between.

Also depends on whether you use fertilizer?  Some do some don't.

You will NEVER be part of the family. Your farang tainted offspring will NEVER be part of the family. Get used to it.

-------------------------------

Seems you guys have had a hard time but to make generalisations claiming all Thais are totally xenophobic is over the top. I have a wonderful Thai family and many friends. I also successfully farm cassava and bamboo with them. Rice is probably the hardest of all crops to make a profit with and in my area is grown mostly for personal consumption. We have some paddy land and allow others to use it in return for a share of the crop. 

...............another old saying is "Trust but Verify"  even the happiest of Asian Families toward their foreign in-laws can and will turn evil if it involves "Family, Face or Money"  sorry lad, been living in SE Asia most of my life, well over forty years, speak Thai well, and more than a smattering of Vietnamese, Khmer, & Korean  -  I have seen it all.   contrary to your first sentence, I have not had a hard time - I base all my posts on first hand knowledge of what has happened to my friends and acquaintances .  I have had two Thai marraiges/divorces and both were amicable, not a cent lost, and I am still friends with one of them today............so talk about generalizing??  

Oh, I agree with the rice growing being the hardest, we have almost 2 sq kilometers of rice fields in the Mekong Delta, twenty five 100 sqmtr paddies.  we produce between 550-650kgs each, twice a year because we fertilize.  Have to employ 10 people for 7/8 months a year to take care of it - it is foolish to try to squeeze a third crop  - you can and most likely will, lose the profits you realized from the other two growing seasons - and we listen to the old folks, if they say the growing season will be short, we plant early.

Peace Brother/Sister

Edited by TunnelRat69

15 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

So True, So True       The OJ's said it right:  What they do!!"They Smile in your face., All the time they want to take your place...............they're back stabbers"    as Hairyharry says - you will never be a full part of the family, no matter what, and never will the Luk Krung   -  sorry, accept it and live  happy life.

Oh dear. Sorry for your hardship.

Are things that bad that you have to talk rubbish and generalise so much?

You haven't met me so you cannot include me in your sorry beliefs.

I've been here for over 18 years. Have a daughter. We are both accepted as full members of the family.

Shame you and others you have met have been unable to integrate. Probably their fault more, or at least as much, as their Thai families.

My grandniece is half farang, and is as much of the family as anyone else. For that matter so am I, however if push came to shove, I have no allusions of where my place would be, but not my half farang grandniece, she is family through and through.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

On 29.10.2016 at 4:17 AM, Hairyharry said:

You will NEVER be part of the family. Your farang tainted offspring will NEVER be part of the family. Get used to it.

Explain this.??..he married her have a child live there .... a good man thinking and planning about family matters (land etc ) otherwise he would not ask here....NEVER part of family.????..myself I married a thai lady and I feel very comforted by her mother and her father treat me as a good friend brother.....love me even I dont throw money around or at them...they often went out  of their way to help me w. hundret of things ....very touching for me at least...they want me desperately to learn thai to share the good times with them..but this is an area where I am realy weak....so a hard comment at least to say....but sure I dont understand a word tha t is spoken....

1 hour ago, free123 said:

Explain this.??..he married her have a child live there .... a good man thinking and planning about family matters (land etc ) otherwise he would not ask here....NEVER part of family.????..myself I married a thai lady and I feel very comforted by her mother and her father treat me as a good friend brother.....love me even I dont throw money around or at them...they often went out  of their way to help me w. hundret of things ....very touching for me at least...they want me desperately to learn thai to share the good times with them..but this is an area where I am realy weak....so a hard comment at least to say....but sure I dont understand a word tha t is spoken....

What you have to remember is some people can not stand the fact other people are happily married and have great relationships with there wifes and her extended family. it hurts them to see there misguided thoughts being shot to pieces and then they retaliate with posts like the one you quoted in your post. They feel it somehow vindicates them and puts them on a higher level. But those who know, know best.

2 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

As far as I understand there may be a kind of pledging scheme again. More news in one of the next days as decisions still need to be made. Ref: today's article in a big newspaper from Bangkok (not allowed to mention the link here).

Yes I've been told by head man just 5 mins ago not to take rice tomorow wait till next Monday.  he says there should be an announcement by Friday this week.

18 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Was on a source on wifes FB she is out now will get her to forward it to me when she comes in later. it's about an old man having a go at PM about rice being 5 bht per kg then yesterday pm says it's now 11 bht per kg

My wife was talking to a policeman, part-time farmer, this morning about rice. He was not a happy man. He said under Mr Thaksin he was getting 35,000 Baht a ton. Currently he got 3,000 Baht per ton.:shock1:

1 minute ago, sinbin said:

My wife was talking to a policeman, part-time farmer, this morning about rice. He was not a happy man. He said under Mr Thaksin he was getting 35,000 Baht a ton. Currently he got 3,000 Baht per ton.:shock1:

I little bit of exaggeration there, I fancy!

On 29/10/2016 at 10:12 PM, Deepinthailand said:

Conservatively say 450kg per rai at 5 bht per kg = 250bht x26 rai = 58000bht. take away labor costs for sewing rice then cutting rice at 300 bht per day per worker (can estimate as no idea how many he uses). then the cost of buying planting rice if he does not use a nursery growing field himself. cost of machine to turn land over before planting. fertiliser used during growing. then not much is the answer.

Not much is the answer indeed. This year our costs are 5.77 baht per kilo. So, a nett loss for the first time. I won't see the 70K cash I invested in the crop (not unusual). But the point is where to from here? The family will look at the cash in hand and kept over rice in the bahn and as always see another successful year. Economics have and never will be a strong point. Rice is life. So do I continue to fund it? The only alternative I can see is allow them to fall into debt. 

39 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

Not much is the answer indeed. This year our costs are 5.77 baht per kilo. So, a nett loss for the first time. I won't see the 70K cash I invested in the crop (not unusual). But the point is where to from here? The family will look at the cash in hand and kept over rice in the bahn and as always see another successful year. Economics have and never will be a strong point. Rice is life. So do I continue to fund it? The only alternative I can see is allow them to fall into debt. 

Same sort of thing happened two years ago and I decided enough was enough. Sat Mil  down and explained that although she has money in hand I was out of pocket again. So what I did was to buy the land wrong my mrs nought the land off her mother. now we plant enough rice for families needs for  year not to sell but to eat. and the rest of the land is planted out to sugar now we had our first sugar crop last year and a very healthy profit we had. any rice we have left over we sell on when new crop is cut. A happy outcome for all Mil has money in bank. We have land and now a profit.

53 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Same sort of thing happened two years ago and I decided enough was enough. Sat Mil  down and explained that although she has money in hand I was out of pocket again. So what I did was to buy the land wrong my mrs nought the land off her mother. now we plant enough rice for families needs for  year not to sell but to eat. and the rest of the land is planted out to sugar now we had our first sugar crop last year and a very healthy profit we had. any rice we have left over we sell on when new crop is cut. A happy outcome for all Mil has money in bank. We have land and now a profit.

Well done. Unfortunately not applicable as the land is inundated during the wet and unsuitable for other crops. I am addressing that by digging ponds and raising the level of the paddy fields so at least the soil can be improved and alternatives can be grown. However your statement "enough is enough" was echoed by me in respect to funding unsustainable rice farming. 

6 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

Well done. Unfortunately not applicable as the land is inundated during the wet and unsuitable for other crops. I am addressing that by digging ponds and raising the level of the paddy fields so at least the soil can be improved and alternatives can be grown. However your statement "enough is enough" was echoed by me in respect to funding unsustainable rice farming. 

All our land is rice paddies during wet season even where the sugar is is under water but it's not a problem sugar is cut by then and regrowing to use in next year's crop. we are just now cutting regrowth sugar after cutting main crop in may.. the regrowth is used in planting machine for this year's crop which will go in in a few days after land has been turned a few times.. water does not effect the sugar and by the time we go to cut next year ground will be hard again.

16 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

All our land is rice paddies during wet season even where the sugar is is under water but it's not a problem sugar is cut by then and regrowing to use in next year's crop. we are just now cutting regrowth sugar after cutting main crop in may.. the regrowth is used in planting machine for this year's crop which will go in in a few days after land has been turned a few times.. water does not effect the sugar and by the time we go to cut next year ground will be hard again.

I didn't know that, never looked at sugar really. In my case the water is often knee deep. Will sugar survive that depth for five odd months?

45 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

I didn't know that, never looked at sugar really. In my case the water is often knee deep. Will sugar survive that depth for five odd months?

Sugar hates being water logged for any time and will have its growth severely reduced, Ok for short period, best do as stated dig a few lakes and raise the paddy fields, also gives a good water supply to water the sugar during the dry season.