Drowning or murder? Farang found floating in the sea off Koh Phangan

rooster59

Drowning or murder? Farang found floating in the sea off Koh Phangan

EyWwB5WU57MYnKOurCh4wNyWYNzFnKQ4UIX5qlRuoc9owwKcvO2nHl.jpg
Image: Thairath

Police in Koh Phangan said they have found a male Caucasian tourist floating in the sea 500 yards off shore.

They are keeping an open mind about whether he drowned or was murdered while the body has been sent for autopsy to the Police Hospital.

A backpack was still attached to the naked body. In the bag were five large rocks as well as a long pair of trousers, some shorts and a phone charger.

The body was found by a member of the public off the coast at Ban Chalok Lam. Decomposition had set in and the face was unrecognizable.

He had been dead for at least five days.

Police hope the autopsy will determine whether the may died as a result of entering the water or was killed first then dumped. They are checking all resorts and bungalows in the area to see if anyone is missing.

The Thai Rath report further theorized that the victim may have been harpooning fish and used the rocks to weigh himself down but did not question why he would have clothes and a phone charger in the bag as well.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-29

The Thai Rath report further theorized that the victim may have been harpooning fish and used the rocks to weigh himself down but did not question why he would have clothes and a phone charger in the bag as well.

Clouseau eat your heart out. Looks like someone's after a job with the RTP 

7 minutes ago, bokningar said:

Harpooning fish naked with a phone charger in his backpack??

Who comes up with this stuff? :crazy:

Collecting Yaba rocks while harpooning fish appears to be a long standing practice among locals in some areas.

RIP lad, lets hope this is something that is gotten to the bottom of, but I have very little hope in that :/

On a side note, they actually used the word 'Caucasian' in the report! I have been here 7 years and 'farang' was the first word I learned in Thai lol, mainly because I heard it everywhere. My gf doesn't even know why Thai people refer to us whiteys with this word, foreigners who are of colour never get this treatment! 

I know when I went harpooning (?) fish, I always strapped on a backpack full of rocks to help keep me on the bottom.

And it makes sense to have some dry clothes in the pack to change into when/if you manage to get back to the surface.

Are these people for real? Almost certainly murder with a small chance of a weird suicide.

1 hour ago, Gjk7777 said:

Why would you have 5 large rocks in your bag? Unless he was a geologist,I think he died before entering the water.

" the victim may have been harpooning fish and used the rocks to weigh himself down"

1 hour ago, cumgranosalum said:

The sad thing is that whatever the conclusion, after all the previous publicity surrounding the island, one can never have complete confidence that the police and other authorities will do a proper professional job on the matter.

I think by now we can all agree that, they just don't care. Everything disappears in time.

12 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I know when I went harpooning (?) fish, I always strapped on a backpack full of rocks to help keep me on the bottom.

And it makes sense to have some dry clothes in the pack to change into when/if you manage to get back to the surface.

Are these people for real? Almost certainly murder with a small chance of a weird suicide.

I agree with you. However I'm thinking the Thais are thinking from their perspective of maybe what they see dirt poor Burmese men doing to catch fish as compared to a cashed up Western person who would be wearing a weight belt and proper gear for spear fishing, and hopefully not doing it alone, etc.

32 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

My God.  unbelievable.  speechless.

Young People like adventure and living dangerously . did you work as a  traffic warden  or something,?

This Island did have it's own law,  back in the late 80's  when the  full moon parties started  but still with less than 100 people,  there were gruesome  murders  like  beheadings. I lived there for 6 months  and  it was paradise.  still is for some

But If it weren't for  young adventurous  travellers all the old farts  would still be retiring to Malta  or a  trailer park in Florida.

I agree. Posts like canceraid's should be removed!

1 hour ago, Gjk7777 said:

Why would you have 5 large rocks in your bag? Unless he was a geologist,I think he died before entering the water.

Yes but he had to bash his face in first then put the rocks into the bag and drown himself, these suiciders are getting very clever.

RIP but hope they find the perps , or just another keystone investigation.

1 hour ago, Canceraid said:

No sympathies for foreigners or their families who die in whatever ways in the resort areas of the Southern Provinces. Despite all the past incidences and reports and negative news in the media about these Southern areas, , they still come , so its their own fault when something happens.

So I should pretty much not visit any country on this planet according to your skewed logic; lets take the US for example, I have read reports there of muggings, violent homicide, terrorist attacks and a murder rate that matches that of many third world countries, should I stay away? 

1 hour ago, JustNo said:

RIP lad, lets hope this is something that is gotten to the bottom of, but I have very little hope in that :/

On a side note, they actually used the word 'Caucasian' in the report! I have been here 7 years and 'farang' was the first word I learned in Thai lol, mainly because I heard it everywhere. My gf doesn't even know why Thai people refer to us whiteys with this word, foreigners who are of colour never get this treatment! 

Yes this term is offensive especially when referring to a tragedy. Foreigner would have been sufficient and not have the racist connatation of ' farang' which is thought, lazy and dismissive.

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

5 large rocks in backpack. Suicide obviously or is this a Thai version of concrete shoes?

Why obviously?

2 hours ago, bokningar said:

Harpooning fish naked with a phone charger in his backpack??

Who comes up with this stuff? :crazy:

He wasn't naked. Interesting you find it funny though.

RIP - another sad story :( I hope that we can all have some respect for this young mans family and friends.

1 hour ago, JustNo said:

Wikipedia has a big long page on the etymology of the word 'farang' - although my husband is adamant it derives from the work 'farangsayt' (French)

1 hour ago, Canceraid said:

No sympathies for foreigners or their families who die in whatever ways in the resort areas of the Southern Provinces. Despite all the past incidences and reports and negative news in the media about these Southern areas, , they still come , so its their own fault when something happens.

All of Southern Thailand!? Seriously? What about the incidences, reports & bad news from the rest of the country - or world? Comparatively Southern Thailand is pretty darned safe I would say.

Archived