Drowning or murder? Farang found floating in the sea off Koh Phangan

rooster59

There will likely be other information to add to this. Where was he staying? Where was he heading when last seen? When? Was he with someone? Did someone report him missing? Might he have been suicidal? Had he just been in a fight with someone? Etc...

RIP. 

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:
A backpack was still attached to the naked body. In the bag were five large rocks as well as a long pair of trousers, some shorts and a phone charger.

52 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Why obviously?

He wasn't naked. Interesting you find it funny though.

Call me silly but the sentence in the OP saying

"A backpack was still attached to the naked body" 

gives me the impression he was NAKED.

But feel free to inform me how you understand that part of the OP. 

If there was a boat found missing or floating around I would go for suicide .

Know of a guy who killed himself in uk by filling rucksack with rocks , rowed out into middle of the loch and jumped off the boat with the backpack on.

Couldn't think of worse way to go.

16 minutes ago, bokningar said:

Call me silly but the sentence in the OP saying

"A backpack was still attached to the naked body" 

gives me the impression he was NAKED.

But feel free to inform me how you understand that part of the OP. 

Yes, you are right it says that. I just checked BP and it says he was wearing blue shorts so some people may have read that.

I am thinking that the manner in which the backpack was attached would seem important. As one diver here has stated he has used rocks. So if you are alive and swimming, walking along the bottom,  how strongly would you attach that to yourself ...vs if you are tying this to a dead body or intend to kill yourself and don't want the ability to be able to get it off once you begin to panic.  If you are a diver, you do want to be able to get if off, right?  Can the diver comment please?

3 hours ago, JustNo said:

RIP lad, lets hope this is something that is gotten to the bottom of, but I have very little hope in that :/

On a side note, they actually used the word 'Caucasian' in the report! I have been here 7 years and 'farang' was the first word I learned in Thai lol, mainly because I heard it everywhere. My gf doesn't even know why Thai people refer to us whiteys with this word, foreigners who are of colour never get this treatment! 

They are just called black people,no matter where they come from.Same as farang,all lumped into the one basket.Thais got the message from me ages ago when i called them Khon Asian.They asked me why and i told them why you call me farang.Now they refer to me by my name,or Loong.

How about purging and locking this until confirmation emerges re notification of his family?  How would your (any muppet posting so far with one or two exceptions) families feel if they were seeking further info re yourselves and stumbled onto this thread?

Rocks in a backpack does sound unusual, and in this case, not enough to keep him down, or it may have been the decomposition process that caused him to foat in spite of the rocks?

I recall wreck diving years ago, at a depty marginal for air diving, and when minimal bottom time was critical, using a bucket of rocks to express to the bottom. It was left there and hauled up on a rope after surfacing.  It seems quite silly now, but it was done using dive tables.

I think how the backpack was 'fixed' to the body may give crucial clues.

12 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

There is no need to call yourself a muppet you can't help it.

Humour is fine but it's the timing in this technological era that is often overlooked with disasterous consequences for the families concerned.

11 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

But the next guy wouldn't know him or probably even read of his demise anyway. So he wouldn't do anything different now would he. 

I may very well be that next guy.  Any of us may.

Consciously or unconsciously, there are quite a few things I do or don't do in Thailand, directly as a result of reading about what happened to other people who did them.  And if we ever find out what this guy did- that will probably go on my list.

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

I may very well be that next guy.  Any of us may.

Consciously or unconsciously, there are quite a few things I do or don't do in Thailand, directly as a result of reading about what happened to other people who did them.  And if we ever find out what this guy did- that will probably go on my list.

Far to deep for me I'm afraid if your going to waste yourself you will not be researching how other people did it. Especially not on here as you would never know if it was suicide/murder/hitman/jealous gay lover/jealous wife/in laws/pissed off thai man. Mr and Mrs average holiday makers comming for a few weeks would never bother even looking for a thailand forum  or read Thailand's news.. plus I hope you don't base your do or do not list on things read on Thai Visa  you would lead a very boring non married, non beer drinking non driving rent for life existence.  just saying?

6 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I hope you don't base your do or do not list on things read on Thai Visa  you would lead a very boring non married, non beer drinking non driving rent for life existence.  just saying

That lifestyle has suited me quite well for decades, long before I ever read ThaiVisa. I do miss driving though, and do several thousand miles each time I return to the USA.  But driving in Asia isn't my cuppa.   So the pickup stays parked for months at a time.

4 hours ago, JustNo said:

RIP lad, lets hope this is something that is gotten to the bottom of, but I have very little hope in that :/

On a side note, they actually used the word 'Caucasian' in the report! I have been here 7 years and 'farang' was the first word I learned in Thai lol, mainly because I heard it everywhere. My gf doesn't even know why Thai people refer to us whiteys with this word, foreigners who are of colour never get this treatment! 

I think it's up to Thairath and ThaiVisa Media what word they use to address us...they do like to be divisive at times.

I was told Farang only applies to White Westerners. a follow on from the Viet word Farang set..a word for a French person who colonized them. Hence, Asians, Afros etc are excluded.

Archived