Thai man who carried out brutal sex attack on American tourist has sentence slashed

rooster59

9 minutes ago, ukrules said:

This is Thailand, the place where you get 10 years for murder, and 20-100+ years for what would be considered comparatively minor crimes elsewhere. Just look at the Dutch guy who got 103 years for 'annoying some Thai officials'.

Did he wear clogs in a temple? Got a link?

Edited by lostinisaan

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

I can respect your point of view but no matter how long the sentence is, if he gets out chances are he will do it again. Why keep trash like this, they are a blight on society.

You are correct in some respects with this view and I can see the thinking behind it,  even if I don't fully share it.

The argument over the purpose of prison (rehabilitation or punishment) is a different one to sentencing guidelines. 

As for blights on society...society produces it's own blights and simply exterminating them won't stop more of them being produced...again just my view. 

While I wouldn't shed any tears if this scumbag met a brutal ending, I can't support vigilante/vengeance justice.

It's the easy way out for a society that doesn't want to admit it has problems and doesn't want to do anything to solve them. 

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Disgusting.  The value they put on farangs is appalling.  You get more for kicking a soi dog.

The value put on any violation against another is appalling, unless clothing is covered in brass and ribbons.... this one is getting kicked around the globe as well

yes... perhaps no one can effect this outrageous outcome may be true.... but, unless circulated, the truth will not be out there

and it really needs to be.

In any other country,in the west,this cretin would suffer from mob justice inside.

But we are in Thailand,and in his new place of stay,he will be treated,by the general population,in his new home as a hero.As said,it was only a ferang and all his inmates will be very curious to know,what it was like with a ferang woman.

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Disgusting.  The value they put on farangs is appalling.  You get more for kicking a soi dog.

I say this is a load of BS. If it had been a Thai girl he probably would have just left her there to die and not even have been arrested.

But having been caught, he would not have been sentenced to ten years. He got a heavier sentence because she was a farang and the press kicked up a stink.

This is not to say that I don't think he deserved more; I think he is obviously mentally disturbed and should be locked away for life. But don't confuse the issue with anti-farang nonsense.

The poor girl has suffered terribly and it will not make her feel better to read the rubbish being posted here today. Its almost as bad as the crap that was posted on TV before about it being her fault.

I don't know if you can ever fully recover from such a nightmare, but I hope that she is getting better, does make a full physical recovery and time works it healing magic to reduce her pain.

9 minutes ago, MiKT said:

I say this is a load of BS. If it had been a Thai girl he probably would have just left her there to die and not even have been arrested.

But having been caught, he would not have been sentenced to ten years. He got a heavier sentence because she was a farang and the press kicked up a stink.

This is not to say that I don't think he deserved more; I think he is obviously mentally disturbed and should be locked away for life. But don't confuse the issue with anti-farang nonsense.

The poor girl has suffered terribly and it will not make her feel better to read the rubbish being posted here today. Its almost as bad as the crap that was posted on TV before about it being her fault.

I don't know if you can ever fully recover from such a nightmare, but I hope that she is getting better, does make a full physical recovery and time works it healing magic to reduce her pain.

Well spoken and not biased.  Thank you. 

15 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

In any other country,in the west,this cretin would suffer from mob justice inside.

But we are in Thailand,and in his new place of stay,he will be treated,by the general population,in his new home as a hero.As said,it was only a ferang and all his inmates will be very curious to know,what it was like with a ferang woman.

I'd love to be part of the mob. 

30 minutes ago, performance said:

As each day passes I grow more hatred to these people. I try so hard to accept. But no I do accept and they need to invaded to be cleaned up. LOL A big land sweep. There's so much trash built up.

And that sort of attitude is how national atrocities occur.

Please try to take each person as you find them - there are good and bad in all societies.

I'm not trying to defend this clearly mentally deficient offender by any means - he clearly needs to be locked up until he is incapable of causing further harm - but hating all Thais???

I live a quiet life but even so, on a few occasions when I was 'stuck' in an unfortunate situation - was offered help by as many (in some cases more, i.e. bike had broken down and so was standing by the road waiting for the repair man to arrive) as would do so in my home country.

Yes, I've also had to deal with my share of locals that care about nothing other than money.

Which brings me back to there are good and bad in all societies.

Jesus,

how long have some of you been living here?

Can you not wake up and realize that it is totally her fault, her bad karma!

If she hadn't been born in the first place she would never have been here on holiday and tempting some poor Thai who was minding his own business.

Some people just don't understand reality.

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

If it were a Thai and there was no press coverage, he would have made a deal to pay 100-200K to the parents ( less a brokering fee to the police ) and after a percentage paid would been back walking the streets - the family would at a later date claim poverty and a lower settlement monthly payment negotiated that will never be honored.

Just like the railway signalman who lured my 14 year old Thai niece into his box, raped her and left her stumbling along the train tracks trying to kill herself. The guy is still in the same job.

As wrong as it sounds, he didn't get an easy ride because the girl was a westerner, it's just a twisted system.

53 minutes ago, performance said:

As each day passes I grow more hatred to these people. I try so hard to accept. But no I do accept and they need to invaded to be cleaned up. LOL A big land sweep. There's so much trash built up.

"these people" is an utmost silly generalisation because your perhaps friendly and helpful Thai neighbour belongs to "these people" too.

1 hour ago, jamesbrock said:

Section 78 of the Criminal Code.

Just one of the many terrible laws in the land - Some of which are enshrined with the sole purpose of maintaining the socio-political status quo, some more recent ones appear to be simply made up on a whim, and some often wildly misinterpreted...

Note how the Criminal Code, by saying "the Court may, if it is suitable, reduce the punishment to be inflicted on the offender by not more than one-half" is interpreted in a way that the sentence must, suitable or not, reduce the punishment by exactly half.

I always assumed this admission of guilt was used to avoid a trial and having to prove guilt.  You are saying that after sentencing, admitting guilt is considered, repentance? If this is the standard usage, then it would take away any incentive for offenders to admit guilt before being found guilty.  What in your opinion, is the purpose?  I know what you wrote above but I am not understanding how the state benefits from this situation.  Or as usual, it isn't logical to us,  ...the state seems benevolent and sensitive to their "feelings"? (but not to the victim's or the future victims' feelings).  Can you comment further?

Edited by amykat

Gee look what I found helpless at 150 feet after I chased her.. Good time to sexually assault her helpless body. Maybe I'll notify authorities to find her (only redeeming factor). What if this woman was the daughter of these lenient "judges"?

Gee, look what I chased onto a 150 foot cliff drop. Now for a nice rape. Maybe I'll confess and get off with 5 years. What do these Thai Judges think if this victim was their wife, daughter, female relative? Oh yeah, Farang, she's not dead, just crippled and raped.

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

Don't You know Thailand had a  social hierarchy?  nothing to do with being farang.  there are some farang  well up the ladder.  most of us don't bother integrating  so remain at the bottom rung along with toilet cleaners and  roti  sellers.  it is  NOT a racial thing  but if the farang can't speak Thai,  didn't know their rights,  doesn't  have  any, "poo yai" and generally  wants  to pay off the system can't complain  if they are tarred as aliens. 

Many Men may girls half their age from low  class backgrounds  and complain about  how they are treated.

Wake Up.

On 29/10/2016 at 0:54 AM, Anthony5 said:

Misinterpretation of the writing in the OP on my part, or wrong formulation on  the part of the journalist, who will say.

The man, Apai Ruangwong, 28, was sentenced to 10 years in prison for the attack on Hannah Gavios in September.

Please excuse my ignorance, what is "OP" i see this all the time and couldn't figure out what it is. OMG or IMO or IMHO are easy to figure out, but this OP ? Almost a year now trying to figure out.

Just now, madusa said:

Please excuse my ignorance, what is "OP" i see this all the time and couldn't figure out what it is. OMG or IMO or IMHO are easy to figure out, but this OP ? Almost a year now trying to figure out.

Original Post or Poster.

On 29/10/2016 at 4:32 AM, Johnniey said:

Don't You know Thailand had a  social hierarchy?  nothing to do with being farang.  there are some farang  well up the ladder.  most of us don't bother integrating  so remain at the bottom rung along with toilet cleaners and  roti  sellers.  it is  NOT a racial thing  but if the farang can't speak Thai,  didn't know their rights,  doesn't  have  any, "poo yai" and generally  wants  to pay off the system can't complain  if they are tarred as aliens. 

Many Men may girls half their age from low  class backgrounds  and complain about  how they are treated.

Wake Up.

I guess you may be right "Johnniey". So these farangs are living next to the cesspool and complain the smell. Is the same in every country isn't it? If the Sultan in some small god-forsaken country like "Brunei" likes me and often invite me for tea, that would almost immediately remove me from the cesspool scenario , wouldn't it?