Life with the farang abroad - no bed of roses, says German's wife

webfact

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

She has to work to survive :clap2:

Welcome to the real world, too many Thai women think they can live of the backs of farangs.

I don't particularly like the tone of your message, but allow me to make clear that it is also, if not mainly, the fault of the Falang men. I used to live with my Thai wife at home  ( i met her there - she was studying there) and we met a number of Thai girls married to Falangs. Most, if not all, of them had to work, which is Ok -  a lot of European women do work for a living, but what was wrong is what the Thai ladies had been led to believe by their husbands before they went away from Thailand. We have been living here in Thailand for few years now (we find life here very pleasant) and have met a number of Falang men telling their Thai GF how rich they are and what a beautiful life they will have in Europe, Australia, US. etc. Looking at these men, all I can say with certainty is that if 25% of their stories is true, I would probably be exaggerating. What can one expect of a Thai young girl who has never been outside Thailand and who sees such men, whilst on holiday here spending money, as if it was going out of fashion, to believe? They realize when they get to Europe (Australia, US etc.), what life there is like. Most of them are not professionals, have no higher education, so they have to do menial jobs, and some of them even worse. Their "rich" husbands appear to be at best average earners. Knowing both sides (my wife used to be active looking after some of the Thai wives back home), I can say that quite a share of the blame lies with the Falang men.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I speak Isaan so I took the time to translate this.  Poor girl's getting ripped on in farang forums.  This is pretty much word for work.  the best I can do.  It should be spot on minus a couple sentences.

TRANSLATED:

Hello,  I just wanted to let you know what it is like to live in the west verses Thailand.  Living in the west is not as relaxed as living back home.  What we have, we eat together, all of us like family.  Whoever it is we call them uncle, aunty, brother and sister.  Everyone.  (some sentence I didn’t understand about getting food from the farm?)

We spend 100 or 200 baht back home and we get many things.  Back home if we spend 1000 baht the entire table is full.  Here is not the same.  If we walk anywhere all we can do is say hello to someone and smile.  That’s it.  If you want to buy anything it is not reasonable.  Expensive.  To go buy a handful of basil is 200 baht.  Little bit.  Why would you do that?  I want it but I do without.  It’s not like back home where we can go out to eat.  In our house we have 4 children.  Then me and my husband.  Together 5…6 of us.    We eat one time and it’s 5000-6000, maybe 4000-5000.  If we don’t eat very much maybe it is 2000 baht or more.  Why would we spend that much to eat?  Wouldn’t it be better to save that money? 

Why it is in the west we have to do for ourselves?  I thought that if I was a farang’s wife I could live relaxed.  Not true.  There isn’t a single farang wife living relaxed.  You have to make your own.  You cannot wait to use your husband’s money forever.  They do for themselves and find work for themselves.  It’s not like marrying a farang means you can be lazy.  You are thinking wrong.  You cannot rely on someone forever.   If you are looking for a rich farang it is dangerous thinking and you should look at yourself.    That’s why they relax so much in Thailand because here in the West they work very hard. 

Why do I have to work?  Why do I have to cook?  Why do I have to work so hard?  It’s not hard.  It is something we need to do.  Why is it that in Thailand we can just spend money?  Because it is cheaper.  100, 200, 1000 baht  is a lot but here it doesn’t buy anything.  Here you have to know what you are doing.  It’s not like you can use someone else forever.  You have to know how to live our life, know how to cook and take care of yourself, raise your children, take care of your husband , family, and yourself.  We stay together because of love, understanding, and trust.  If you think you’re going to find someone to take care of you, you are thinking wrong.   I just wanted to say this to share with you.  I want you to know so we understand each other.  Ok?  Understand.  Bye bye.

6 hours ago, ezflip said:

All I can say is 'Welcome to the real world!'.

all I see  is that some dreams and hopes are crushed....she dreams of the easy life in germany and maybe finds herself in a lidl shop as a counter clerk....and learning to save....there is love between them but the years can take over and I hope there love is still fresh in ten years from now....I met a Thai women here in Europe with a similar background but a broken marriage and several other disasters on her account...I could see the hope she had w. me and the hardness when she discovered that I am not another sugar daddy just like the guy before me that she left when sugar ran out....big madam found herself back in a kitchen job....what was left is sorrow a broken dream hers about the big and easy and mine about a soulmate when I disvovered a pack of lies done only with the goal to raise money out of me ...

Ive seen several examples of old Brit guys selling a story to some Young Thai girl and then she marries the old git and gets to the UK, she finds that he lives in a Council house, lives off his pension, lives in some seedy part of a town and hasn't got a pot to piss in. She can't go back and lose fa ce with her family, so she's stuck. IT happens a lot! 

Poor girl has to go to work.

When mybwife first came over she was excited. This quickly turned to horror when she realised that we would both need to work.

Now she has been happily working for twelve months she is a different person. She has confidence and enjoys spending her own money and contributing t the household.

It was just two weeks ago she mentioned to me that she was now more like a farang than Thai.

9 hours ago, JAFO said:

I can only laugh. 

When my wife(GF at the time) decided to go back to the US with me she was initially excited. After being there 3 months and me back at work full time she took it on herself to look for employment. At first she was happy as there wasn't any discrimination about her age. She went to work with a Thai we had met at a Temple in Fremont. She owned a restaurant/catering business. She worked a lot and her first check was crushed after she saw how much taxes they took. Then when she started to add it all up she found that after gas in car and other costs that she was taking home very little. She, like the gal in the OP, found it very hard to find certain spices and herbs and when she did had to pay a premium. She made due. 

In the end I am glad she had this experience. As she has told many of her friends while we were there, do not believe all of what you read on the internet or see in the news. Its very very expensive to live in America and you work a lot and make very little. She absolutely freaked when she saw what they took in my check. 

She is very happy to be here.

I know the temple in Fremont, Ca; I lived in Pleasanton the last eight years before coming to Thailand.  A lot of Filipinos and Vietnamese in Milpitas and San Jose as you well know.  I mention this because I was married to a Filipina and she worked very hard.  I believe, 100%, that if you marry a Filipina, for the marriage to work you must bring her to the West.  However, if you marry a Thai, and for the marriage to work you must keep her in Thailand.  She needs her family, friends, social life, and hot and humid weather to be happy. 

8 hours ago, Johnniey said:

She didn't go because she love Gunther?

Better than work bar. 

Better than servicing old Helmuts every night, surely.

Ungrateful "Ai dtua".

"

Better than servicing old Helmuts every night, surely.

or servicing old helmets    LMFAO

Just now, 212Roger said:

A fantasy land for men.  You betcha. 

Was thinking more about the atmosphere, the sense that nothing is urgent or serious. Complete lack of stress and every one living in the now. I didnt go half way across the world to get girls, dont need to, as of yet. 

Just now, Kaalle said:

Was thinking more about the atmosphere, the sense that nothing is urgent or serious. Complete lack of stress and every one living in the now. I didnt go half way across the world to get girls, dont need to, as of yet. 

Try getting a teenager when your 54 years old in the U.S.  Yeah, right.

8 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Not working in a post-office, but doing post-office jobs, with a sawn-off shotgun & a balaclava-hat ? :smile:

And no income-tax, either !

I worked for the Post Office in California for 22 years; $60,000 a year.  I retired with an "early out" at 50 years of age and received a  $15,000 bonus AND a pension for life.  

15 hours ago, thai3 said:

Trouble is a lot of them lie to save face and others believe them. My mrs keeps telling me her relative earns 100k baht a month working in a Post Office in the UK, every time I try to find out where this office is there is never any info. It's well known that waitresses earn even more!

1) Making a £37k salary and not joining the pension, 2) taking an ordinary job and doing a nightmare amount of overtime or 3) claiming a load of tax credits, can produce that figure. 

My pal worked in a sorting office near Glasgow. People with childcare responsibilities and/or lots of hours make surprising amounts. 

9 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

She married 45 year old "Shulz" who works in a Volkswagen factory down in Bavaria, he wights 140 kg and has problem with mobility so he have to work in the store where the salary is lower.

On Sundays he wears lederhosen and goes to the OlenHaus to drink Ol with his buddies.....

Is that irony, prejudice or do you really have no clue about Germany?

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

She has to work to survive :clap2:

Welcome to the real world, too many Thai women think they can live of the backs of farangs.

If i was rich or wealthy enough i wd be happy to support my wife and take care so she doesnt have to work. But in a way i am glad she works and earn her own living and have a social life of her own. She started to work from the first month she arrived here and never stopped since. She seems happy with it.

So slowly but surely the word is getting out that western guys are not millionaires - About time I think, I took my Mrs back to the UK for a month a couple of years ago, she was really surprised at a lot of things, for example the standard of driving, far superior, roadworks on rural roads controlled by temporary traffic lights which people actually obey unlike here where it's basically every man for himself.

Then the downside, the cost of eating out, hiring a car, fuel for the aforementioned vehicle, the cost of standard B & B accommodation, entry to places like Stonehenge or the Tower of London etc, the list goes on and on, she did say to me at one point in  conversation that she didn't realise just how much stuff cost in the UK and was I sure I could afford it.

The upshot is that she now has a firm grasp on why I came to live here, we can eat out and I can have a few beers for less than 700 baht, running the house is cheaper and the weather a lot kinder to my joints than England on a nasty wet February morning.

My life is good, I enjoy myself and I look after the most important person in my world, I feel sorry for the OP but the grass is never greener on the other side of the fence.

4 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

So slowly but surely the word is getting out that western guys are not millionaires - About time I think, I took my Mrs back to the UK for a month a couple of years ago, she was really surprised at a lot of things, for example the standard of driving, far superior, roadworks on rural roads controlled by temporary traffic lights which people actually obey unlike here where it's basically every man for himself.

Then the downside, the cost of eating out, hiring a car, fuel for the aforementioned vehicle, the cost of standard B & B accommodation, entry to places like Stonehenge or the Tower of London etc, the list goes on and on, she did say to me at one point in  conversation that she didn't realise just how much stuff cost in the UK and was I sure I could afford it.

The upshot is that she now has a firm grasp on why I came to live here, we can eat out and I can have a few beers for less than 700 baht, running the house is cheaper and the weather a lot kinder to my joints than England on a nasty wet February morning.

My life is good, I enjoy myself and I look after the most important person in my world, I feel sorry for the OP but the grass is never greener on the other side of the fence.

Happy wife, happy life

7 hours ago, mcfish said:

Apparently they do, how else can you explain all the old basterdes on TV married to 22 year old uni graduates? emoji23.png

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

22 was a fine age for me once,

God that was many moons past,  now I have no desire to be with someone the age of my grand daughter  :1zgarz5:

This is exactly the type who gives Thai Women a Bad Name.

My wife works her cute Butt off and always has in a food business we had here as well as looking after our daughter and our home.

She did the same when we lived abroad and has done the same again since we've been back... she NEVER stops

.The slack'o in the story is in need of a very strong WAKE UP Call. Suspect her husband would be far better off booting her out.