First Time - Problems Obtaining Non-imm B?

Hi,

Can anyone please help me with these questions -

Last year I overstayed for 4 days and paid the fine at Bangkok Airport.

Previously I stayed in Thailand for ten months, doing visa runs on a Tourist 30 day Visa, However this time I have managed to secure a job in Thailand working for an American Company.

So for me this will be the first time that I will have to go through the process of obtaining Non-immigrant B Visa and a Work Permit.

Question -

1, Will the previous overstay/fine cause me any problems securing either the Non-immigrant B Visa OR the Work Permit?

2, Will all the Visa stamps etc in my passport indicating that I have indeed done Visa runs previously to stay in Thailand cause me any problems in obtaining Non-Imm B and Work Permit?

3,How long does it take to get a Non-imm B Visa issued from a Thai Consulate in the U.K assuming all documentation is correct (company letter etc) ?

4, Assumming I have crossed above listed hurdles, once in Thailand with my Non-imm B Visa in hand, How long normally will it take to issue a Work permit?

Your help would be most appreciated.

Concerned.

I don't know the answers to 3 and 4. But as for 1 and 2, I can't imagine that you would have problems for a 4 day overstay and I can't imagine that immigration is going to begin examining stamps in the passport from years past. If I'm wrong on the latter, its time for a new passport, which is relatively simple. If I was a betting man (and I am), I would bet you have nothing too worry about.

1, Will the previous overstay/fine cause me any problems securing either the Non-immigrant B Visa OR the Work Permit?
4 days and it being your only overstay? i don't see them denying you for that
2, Will all the Visa stamps etc in my passport indicating that I have indeed done Visa runs previously to stay in Thailand cause me any problems in obtaining Non-Imm B and Work Permit?

no problem, they will probably appreciate you are NOW obtaining a non immigrant B instead of getting a bunch of tourist visas and staying in thailand.

3,How long does it take to get a Non-imm B Visa issued from a Thai Consulate in the U.K assuming all documentation is correct (company letter etc) ?
a member recently posted it took him 3 or 4 working days using the HULL thai consulate by mail.
4, Assumming I have crossed above listed hurdles, once in Thailand with my Non-imm B Visa in hand, How long normally will it take to issue a Work permit?

the time it takes varies depends on which area you are living in and what type of work you will be doing. maybe dr pat pong or lopburi3 can add more info...

Bud -

If employing company's papers are all in order, applicant brings documentation of university degree and obtains non-immigrant entry permit, and applicant promptly obtains photos and medical exam certificate once on the ground here, we could probably have work permit in hand for applicant on 10th day after touchdown in Thailand. The turn-around time for an application submitted in Bangkok is currently seven or eight days.

If company can supply paperwork (incorporation and tax documentation) in advance, and applicant can supply input for application form in advance (via e-mail) , it would be pretty easy to get application in within a couple of days after touchdown. Photos, medical exam, a few signatures - done.

Getting initial work permit is easy. Getting an entry permit extension to stay here longer than 90 days (and thus obtain work permit that is valid longer than 90 days) - that is MUCH harder. It currently takes 10-12 weeks in Bangkok, to obtain final approval of a one-year entry permit extension for a routinely qualified individual. And - that processsing period only begins after you have work permit, and you are within 30 days of expiration of your initial entry permit.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com