Thai govt to consider easing mourning restriction on entertainment venues

webfact

Government to consider easing mourning restriction on entertainment venues

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4Fs6QIPwZcyILgyxc2KC1cQZ

BANGKOK: -- The government is to consider within this week how to ease the restriction in order to allow entertainers and entertainment venues to resume operations.

Government spokesman Lt-Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Monday that although the country is observing mourning for the passing of HM the King, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha is concerned with the impacts of the mourning on entertainers and entertainment venues.

He said that prime minister had assigned one of his deputies, General Thanasak Patimaprakorn, to discuss authorities concerned, entertainers, operators of entertainment places and members of the public about how to ease the impacts.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/government-to-consider-easing-mourning-restriction-on-entertainment-venues/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-01

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cabinet may allow businesses to operate ‘close to normal’
By Sakda Samerpop 
The Nation 

0543778b09cb34bf4399c054482cfa11-sld.jpe

BANGKOK: -- THE government’s proposal that entertainment businesses could proceed during the national mourning period “as normal as possible while bearing in mind the appropriateness to situation” would be tabled at the Cabinet meeting today, Deputy Premier Tanasak Patimapragorn said yesterday.

Following a discussion over the issue with relevant sectors, Tanasak said all systems must proceed as normal but televised programmes and dramas must instil knowledge and information about HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s great merits and royal activities for their |audiences.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30298845

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-01

Friendly reminder

In using Thai Visa you agree to abide by the following terms:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Forum Rules: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/terms/

//Admin

10 minutes ago, harada said:

Back pockets are hurting. :crying:

After the initial 30 day period how many entertainment establishments will start operating as usual only to be visited and told that mourning restrictions are still in effect, however ... !

After the initial 30 day period how many entertainment establishments will start operating as usual only to be visited and told that mourning restrictions are still in effect, however ... !

Depends on which side of bed the local head honcho got out of on that particular morning.

Just now, JAG said:

Depends on which side of bed the local head honcho got out of on that particular morning.

This is it isn't it as so much can happen on a whim from the PM on downwards and the current national situation gives so much more room for maneuver.

the government had plenty of time to prepare for the sad passing of the King and have a clear operational plan and communication strategy in place to ensure clarity throughout the population and internationally, clearly they didn't think things through.

spare a thought for those involved in the entertainment industry, how would you feel if the government decreed your means of sustaining you and your family was to be taken away for a year. a huge amount of people will potentially be impoverished, how does this benefit the memory of the King? madness.

This depends on what 'entertainment' means. I'm sure bars and night clubs will have to stay the same with the neon lights turned off and activities moved indoors. As for other forms of 'entertainment' such as television, radio, Christmas, New Year and other festive fun, maybe this can go ahead as normal. I do hope so. I enjoy Christmas and New Year in Thailand and love to see all the decorations displayed in my local shopping malls and supermarkets. Festivals that are fun for children should be allowed. Imo.

I for one like the current state.

I do pity the businesses that are hurting from lack of customers but, I do like that it is far more quiet around my neighborhood. No blaring DJ-SR.com awful music or bad renditions of Hotel California until 2am...

That being said, bringing back big events that attract tourists is a good thing.

40 minutes ago, samsensam said:

the government had plenty of time to prepare for the sad passing of the King and have a clear operational plan and communication strategy in place to ensure clarity throughout the population and internationally, clearly they didn't think things through.

spare a thought for those involved in the entertainment industry, how would you feel if the government decreed your means of sustaining you and your family was to be taken away for a year. a huge amount of people will potentially be impoverished, how does this benefit the memory of the King? madness.

Great comment samsensam! 

34 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

I'm totally for keeping television locked down. There is education right there in not showing those ridiculous soaps.

You make a good point daveAustin. I would only politely request that there might be English sub-titles please on the supposed English channels.
After all Sophon Cable's so-called "Movie Channels" are currently plagued by ancient or direct to dvd movie runs and of course, ubiquitous airings of 'farang keenok tv' where "even their news is new" [sic] and English Premier League football fixtures - are a whole week late. Thank you Pattaya News and Inspire.

1 hour ago, Rorri said:

I don't disagree with the lifting of restrictions, but, it does  show when it comes to baht v respect, baht wins.

IMHO I disagree that the baht wins.  Respect is something that is earned not given, and the King has definitely earned that respect not only by Thai's  but many others worldwide including me.  But that respect is in one's  heart and how a person shows that respect should be that person's choice and not mandated by others. I don't think that closing businesses and putting people out of work so that their entire family suffers is how someone that earned that respect would want it shown.

Just prior to reading this thread I was having chat with the tgf about the musicians that play at various venues. We often go to ratchada night train market (great music)......anyway they are still open and serve alcohol but no music. The musicians that usually get paid every night on the spot and rush off to their next gig are currently not earning income. Tough job and much harder when you don't get any money for over a month. Most if not all expats here are in full support for this sad time for Thai people. Seems tougher for some that cannot work

Edited by jacksam