Thai ID for a thai who doesnt have one

Billy Bloggs

Hi, Sorry if this isnt the right place for this but could not find an easy place to start(Mods move it if required).

My Friends daughter is going out with a boy who does not have a thai ID card(this causes major problems in employment alone plus many other parts of life, he is exploited by employers because of it, he is however a very hard worker from what I  have seen).

What Im looking for is the first steps to take to get him one, is there a department that he must go and see to apply for one etc.(his mother who is thai has a new partner who has told her to have nothing to do with the boy, his father may not have been thai but maybe from Myanmar.) 

I know its a plot for a segment in a thai soapie.

So any steering in the right direction would be gratefully appreciated. 

Are you certain his mother has a Thai ID card? Is she Tai Yai or part of another group without a direct claim to Thai citizenship?

Assuming the mother is a Thai citizen, the first thing he will need is a birth certificate. Does he have one?

If he does, he can be entered into any blue book and then get a Thai ID. That's a simple process.

If his birth wasn't registered, however, he doesn't exist as far as the Thailand authorities are concerned. He would need his mother and other witnesses from his village to go to the District Office and make statements that they have known the boy for many years as knew him when he was a baby.

With enough villagers to vouch for him he can get an ID card.

Archived