Tourism minister in PR exercise at Temple of the Emerald Buddha

webfact

Tourism minister in PR exercise at Temple of the Emerald Buddha

p1.jpg

Image: Video screenshot

BANGKOK: -- The tourism and sports  minister took an Australian camera crew around the recently reopened Temple of the Emerald Buddha yesterday.

Kobkarn Wattanavarangkul dressed in black morning clothes was seen on the PR exercise chatting to foreign tourists about their experiences and understanding of the situation in the country, reports Thairath.

The temple was reopened on Tuesday after closure during the bathing rites after the death of His Majesty Bhumibol Adulyadej on October 13th.

Khun Kobkarn said that it was clear that tourists understood the very strong and fundamental relationship that the Thai people have with their royal family and this came across in many conversations that she had had.

There was also a good understanding of the situation in the country following the death of His Majesty, she said.

The tourism and sports ministry has made efforts to inform tourists of customs and correct behavior and dress by opening a booth at Sanam Luang near the site of the palace.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-03

Tourists are advised to dress appropriately while visiting Grand Palace

395_Tourist.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Tourist police will continue to explain foreign tourists visiting the Temple of the Emerald Buddha and the Grand Palace that they must dress appropriately, and follow the Thai culture and customs.

Advice by tourist police came after more tourists are expected to visit the two significant places of respects after the Bureau of the Royal Household announced to open the two places for visit again on November after over two week long closure after the passing of the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej on October 13.

Over 15,000 foreign tourists visited the temple and the palace in two days after opening on November 1.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tourists-are-advised-to-dress-appropriately-while-visiting-grand-palace/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-03

Friendly reminder

In using Thai Visa you agree to abide by the following terms:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Forum Rules: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/terms/

//Admin

Quite a lot of desperation on her part. Did she mention there won't be new years activities at many venues this year? I feel nervous walking anywhere without black or white on. People are increasing their black wardrobe and wearing it which can make you look ever more like an 'enemy' of the culture when you are out. I feel guilty about it anyways. The more people wear black the worse you feel if you don't. I wonder what a tourist feels when they walk around in their colors among a sea of black?

20 minutes ago, Alive said:

Quite a lot of desperation on her part. Did she mention there won't be new years activities at many venues this year? I feel nervous walking anywhere without black or white on. People are increasing their black wardrobe and wearing it which can make you look ever more like an 'enemy' of the culture when you are out. I feel guilty about it anyways. The more people wear black the worse you feel if you don't. I wonder what a tourist feels when they walk around in their colors among a sea of black?

Yes I wonder how she's handling questions about what's on and what's not or will she stick to the line that entertainment etc will be back to normal on 14 November whether or not it actually happens that way.

As for wearing black a friend of mine in Bkk got an earful from an old lady in a shop who was annoyed about his sombre but not black attire and even his black ribbon didn't save him.

However in my area I'm seeing less and less black and much of the clothing isn't what I'd call sombre.

Will the junta honestly insist on the full year black for government employees ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

As this topic is about tourist's and not expats living in LOS I do think all foreigner's should be allowed to wear normal attire. Who knows if your a tourist or an expat when out and about? The PM should inform the nation about this, that foreigner's although understand the mourning period and why Thai's wear black every day, why should foreigner's be judged.

The closest similar event I can think of would be the tragic passing of Princess Diana, but you weren't ordered to wear black, especially foreigner's. Where I live people are still in black and white, only when they return home from work will I see them dressed in another color. Maybe after the first 30 days regulations will be more relaxed. At the moment the fashion police are watching you.

38 minutes ago, Alive said:

Get out to the country. 

A lot more colourful here.

A lot less likelihood of denunciation.

Edited by Enoon

33 minutes ago, Alive said:

I feel nervous walking anywhere without black or white on. People are increasing their black wardrobe and wearing it which can make you look ever more like an 'enemy' of the culture when you are out. I feel guilty about it anyways.

eh? really? where are you living/hanging out?

i have no black clothes so have not worn black in or out of work. i live and work in central bangkok and have received no negativity at all. there are very few foreigners wearing black, again, with i have seen no negativity.

some thai's are stopping wearing black and just attaching a black ribbon your their sleeve, again, with no issues.

i very much doubt the problems you are experiencing are due to what you are wearing...

5 hours ago, Alive said:

you mean like the 2 tourists in the OP photo with the good minister?