Looking to buy a studio or 1 bedroom

Jhipo

After 17 years of traveling in and out of Thailand, I'm ready to buy a small place in Chiang Mai. (Keeping my apartment in in San Francisco.) My question(s) is, "Does one use an agent?" If so, where can I find one or do folks have a recommendation? Will be spending 6 to 8 months of the year there so I don't want to rent. I enjoy have a small place that it all my own. I would also like to get folks suggestions for neighborhoods to look in. Right now I own a place in the heart of Chinatown in SF, so you can imagine I like city living, city noise, and everything urban. 

You know if you see a condo you like go in & look at their bulletin board

Usually a unit or two advertised for sale right there.

If it is part of foreign owned quota you can deal direct if the owner is

agreeable etc.

Price I don't agree with previous as being 4mil min

Have seen all price ranges & some very decent places for under 2 mill

or as high as you like

Just depends on what you want/need & how much you want invested here.

Good Luck

I tend to agree when it comes to Chang Mai better to rent but if a few million baht is not a dent in your savings then he'll yeah buy a place, do it up with real furniture and and a 50 inch TV, stereo leather lounge etcetc the rentals are usually garbage furniture and the worst part are all the thai mattresses are made from concrete!! .. and when your not there rent it out on air bnb but not less than 30 days at a time or its illegal

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

it sounds cheaper to rent even if you don't spend 4 months living there.

once you buy a place it seems they are impossible to sell….which many eventually do at a loss.

ridiculous advice on everything you said. I've bought and sold numerous condominiums and each time it's been a rewarding experience

23 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

it sounds cheaper to rent even if you don't spend 4 months living there.

once you buy a place it seems they are impossible to sell….which many eventually do at a loss.

If you bought something more expensive than it's really worth - then you will have problem to sell it.

If you do your homework and find a good deal - you should not have any problems to sell also.

Recently sold 2 condo rooms in 2 different buildings, with a profit, and it was on the market less than 1 months.

Since you currently live in the heart of Chinatown I would recommend you pick a neighbourhood near one of the bigger markets.

My favorite would probably be the Thanin market and the area south/west of there.

The only neighbourhood I will warn against is Nimmanhaemin. It might look interesting with the proximity to the mountain and the buzzing nightlife, but you’ll have noisy planes flying overhead, and if you go by car or motorbike, you’ll probably get tired of the traffic.

Thanks Ikn. I was also thinking about Thanin Market area. Busy and noisy like i like it. Although I have to say I do like the sois in and out of  Siri Mankalajarn Road. I've had a scooter in her in San Francisco for the last 10 years so I rather used to zig-zagging in and out of traffic jams.

We rented every year for awhile, but it was really a pain trying to find a place to store our stuff when we were not here.  So we ended up buying a condo and happy that we did.  We just happened to see a posting in a restaurant and checked it out.  We lucked out.  Agree with what mania said, many condo buildings have a posting board that lists condos for sale so I think if we were looking for a place now, we would be doing that.  Also, it might be better to rent initially until you find an area that you like before you buy.

You hit the nail on the head. I also don't like the ideas of trying to find a place to store stuff, that's why having a permanent place is my preference. Thanks for the advice on where to start looking. 

On November 3, 2559 BE at 7:11 PM, JHolmesJr said:

just stating what i observe

what you observe or what you experience. If you have no first hand knowledge of the real estate market, perhaps you should refrain from giving advice

22 hours ago, Jhipo said:

You hit the nail on the head. I also don't like the ideas of trying to find a place to store stuff, that's why having a permanent place is my preference. Thanks for the advice on where to start looking. 

If you need a realtor to help show you and take care of all the procedures, Simon from perfecthomes.co.th is the guy I'd recommend. He has a number of listings on that website. So far a good experience with him, a stand up guy. A lot of expats have used him, I believe. Can tell him Thomas sent you.