Bollywood Kurry -- Sophisticated, Delicious, and Well Priced Indian food

Jingthing

Just tried the place again.  It was good.  I ordered  aloo paratha, chicken butter masala, and plain bismati rice.   Suggestions:  spend extra money for the bismati rice with fragrant spices (several rice choices), avoid the thali and order one or more of the main dishes.  I am looking forward to trying their palak paneer on my next visit.  The nice and helpful staff made food suggestions and changed my order to "chicken breast only" when I told the waiter I did not want thighs or legs in the chicken masala.  Everything is fresh, so be prepared to wait a bit.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an Alibaba (delivery) fan but the prices are extremely expensive. The other small Indian restaurants (you know, the brown square tables, with the white table cloths with the fat managers sitting  behind the cashier while the poorly paid nephew works for him as a waiter...) located every 5 blocks in Pattaya are "same-same" -not enough volume to have fresh, delicious cuisine. I will try Bollywood and hope I do not see the standard interior of brown wooden chairs and stained white table cloths.

I ate at Bollywood restaurant tonight (Nov 9)-reminded me of a ma & pa family run restaurant that wants you to be pleased. (Not looking at you as a one time tourist "drop in".)  Nice selection on menu, and just as good as Alibaba restaurant. It is located toward soi Marina on 2nd Rd. I took a Songtaew so I had not no problems with parking.

49 minutes ago, toenail said:

I ate at Bollywood restaurant tonight (Nov 9)-reminded me of a ma & pa family run restaurant that wants you to be pleased. (Not looking at you as a one time tourist "drop in".)  Nice selection on menu, and just as good as Alibaba restaurant. It is located toward soi Marina on 2nd Rd. I took a Songtaew so I had not no problems with parking.

That's great feedback for them considering so many people think highly of Alibaba! :cowboy:

I always get a laugh at the way some people throw around words so as to sound knowledgeable. For example, calling food "sophisticated",  

Sophisticate as a verb means 1: to alter deceptively, esp. adulterate; 2: to deprive of genuineness, naturalness, or simplicity; 3: to make complicated or complex.  Just calling the food nice  would more than suffice.

14 minutes ago, sandgroper2 said:

I always get a laugh at the way some people throw around words so as to sound knowledgeable. For example, calling food "sophisticated",  

Sophisticate as a verb means 1: to alter deceptively, esp. adulterate; 2: to deprive of genuineness, naturalness, or simplicity; 3: to make complicated or complex.  Just calling the food nice  would more than suffice.

Jingthing used the adjective "sophisticated" which in his opinion applies to the food.

3 hours ago, Naam said:

Jingthing used the adjective "sophisticated" which in his opinion applies to the food.

The focus of this thread is about the food at BOLLYWOOD KURRY restaurant and not really how perfect my writing skills are. 

Anyway, to explain why I used the word sophisticated about this restaurant, I'll refer to the definition.

My impression of the restaurant is that the business owners there show "a lot of experience and knowledge" about the world of  Indian food.

As I said before the chef there is Indian. Many people over the years have complained that most of the Indian restaurants here don't actually have Indian chefs. While I'm not so narrow minded to think it's impossible for people of different cultures to cook food, it does help a lot to know what a nationalities food is supposed to taste like. One reason there is pretty much no Mexican food on offer in town that Mexicans would accept as decent.

As far as their food being "attractive to fashionable or sophisticated people" well, probably in some cases that would be so, but I wasn't really thinking about that secondary meaning.

As far as their food being "highly developed and complex" I reckon probably not so much. Those words imply to me a world class INNOVATIVE Indian restaurant like RASIKA in Washington, D.C. but this place is of course not nearly that ambitious (and many of us couldn't afford to eat there if it was!).

http://www.rasikarestaurant.com/

It's also not as sophisticated as our local most sophisticated Indian restaurant in town, Indian by Nature, though of course not as expensive either.

So in that sense of that part of the definition, the word sophisticated would not fit.

Another aspect of the place that I feel is "sophisticated" is their menu. Have a look and see if you don't agree. 

Overall, while I acknowledge that my use of the word sophisticated here wasn't perfect, after writing this post and referring to the definition, I would use it again about this place and others with similar qualities.

Cheers.

"sophisticated

adjective  so·phis·ti·cat·ed \sə-ˈfis-tə-ˌkā-təd\

Popularity: Top 20% of words

Simple Definition of sophisticated

: having or showing a lot of experience and knowledge about the world and about culture, art, literature, etc.

: attractive to fashionable or sophisticated people

: highly developed and complex"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sophisticated

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The focus of this thread is about the food at BOLLYWOOD KURRY restaurant and not really how perfect my writing skills are.

selecting the expression "sophisticated" was clearly warranted. i confirmed that and wonder whether you expect a certificate stating "...clearly possesses not only sophisticated indepth knowledge of food but also admirable writing skills."

:smile:

1 minute ago, Naam said:

selecting the expression "sophisticated" was clearly warranted. i confirmed that and wonder whether you expect a certificate stating "...clearly possesses not only sophisticated indepth knowledge of food but also admirable writing skills."

:smile:

Thanks, but given nobody is paying me, I'd rather not have the pressure of having to try to keep living up to that level of praise. 

On 11/11/2016 at 2:51 PM, Jingthing said:

Thanks, but given nobody is paying me, I'd rather not have the pressure of having to try to keep living up to that level of praise. 

On 11/11/2016 at 2:51 PM, Jingthing said:

Not doubting ;for one moment that you are not getting paid for writing the superlative plug. Strange that you would put so much time into it though.

8 minutes ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

There is absolutely nothing strange about a person pursuing a passion. 

This is nothing new for me. I was the same way when I lived in the USA. When I see a small food business, especially a new one, doing good things, I like to share that information. I feel strongly that such business owners deserve the exposure of people trying them at least once (to check for themselves) and even though I've never even worked in a restaurant, I appreciate how challenging and competitive a business it is. Often it's not nearly enough just to have a good product. 

One thing that is crystal clear about BOLLYWOOD KURRY, even though they are right in the middle of a mass tourism area is that their business intention is not about the ONE OFF trade. It's a place that wants to deserve repeat customers. Keep in mind many south Asian tourists do visit their favorite Pattaya Indian restaurants multiple times when on holiday. 

Edited by Jingthing

I for one appreciate JT`s  comprehenisve review of the place.

I will go there, either later this month or early next month.

Maybe I will like it ( think so ) maybe not but at least I am pre informed as to menu, pricing and target.

I`ll have to stop being lazy and report back when I do.

I`ve had some decent leads from the Hit & Run thread.

Yeah I don't expect everyone to like it as tastes are subjective but I do feel it's at least worthy of a check it out for people that like Indian food. It's quite remarkable how many Indian restaurants there are in Pattaya these days. I doubt I've even been to a quarter of them.

On 11/4/2016 at 4:23 PM, Jingthing said:

Also yes I was kind of joking about the chicken tikka masala but there's no denying the popularity of that dish in the U.K.

Brits may be curious about the English food options on their menu. I'm not but I was amused to see it on an Indian menu. Similarly the Italian.

JT -any chance you could change your avatar, it's quite putting me off my chicken tikka and milk stout.

On 11/13/2016 at 8:49 PM, chickenslegs said:

JT -any chance you could change your avatar, it's quite putting me off my chicken tikka and milk stout.

Change my avatar? 
I couldn't do that!

Tradition!

Anyway, speaking of chicken legs.

Some more delicious dishes at BOLLYWOOD KURRY.

Deboned chicken legs stuffed with spiced paneer cheese TANDOORI

310 on menu

bollychickenlegs (1).jpg

Mixed dal (three kinds)

170 on menu

Also giving a flavor of the restaurant's fun theme

bollydalmixed.jpg

As always, mention THAIVISA for your 10 percent discount any time off your entire bill including drinks.

))))))))))))))))))))))))))

But wait, there's more 

))))))))))))))))))))))))))

The kitchen there offers some OFF MENU dishes (how mysterious) and of course if there's a special dish you want, you can ask and see if they can do it.

Likely more OFF MENU dishes happening there later.

Not on menu but you can order (have not tried yet myself) --

Biryani with fish 220

Hakka chicken noodles (Chinese), reportedly spicy 180

Edited by Jingthing

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:03 AM, Jingthing said:

Actual pictures of food from Bollywood Kurry:

Pindi dry dal (black chickpeas, so cool)

0bollchana.jpg

Potato chaat, see how fancy

0bollpotchaat.jpg

Potato curry w/ fenugreek w/ crispy naan

0bollpot.jpg

Chili baby corn (Chinese Indian fusion)

Ask for as hot and spicy as you want 

0bollcorn.jpg

Chicken biryani (actually tastes like biryani)

0bollbir.jpg

I eat Indian food weekly and il be honest, if anything like that turned up id refuse it.

5 minutes ago, manxninja said:

I eat Indian food weekly and il be honest, if anything like that turned up id refuse it.

Thanks for sharing. :stoner::partytime2:

Here's an idea.

If you'd like to share information about the Indian food restaurants in Pattaya where you don't refuse the food , please post about them on the following thread (as this thread is dedicated to BOLLYWOOD KURRY):

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, manxninja said:

Cool Jing, anytime.

Try a nice chicken phall, chilli cheese naan and keema pilau rice, washed down with half a douzen kingfisher beers.

That's how I roll in the Indian.

Sounds nice, and sounds like you're talking about Indian food in the U.K. 

Cheers.

54 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

Bollywood kurry is not on tripadvisor and Facebook ?

Cannot find it anywhere on Google !

That is correct. They are very new, about a month old.

I agree with you it would do them well to start a facebook page.  I recall I was told they're going to do that later. Not sure what's involved in getting a tripadvisor listing. I don't post there and I don't very much value that site. Unfortunately for Pattaya, there isn't much better. There's no yelp or chowhound here.

Edited by Jingthing

52 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That is correct. They are very new, about a month old.

I agree with you it would do them well to start a facebook page.  I recall I was told they're going to do that later. Not sure what's involved in getting a tripadvisor listing. I don't post there and I don't very much value that site. Unfortunately for Pattaya, there isn't much better. There's no yelp or chowhound here.

This is the problem of so many pretended business owners in this country, in 2017 they still do not understand that without Internet market they will die. How ridiculous is that !

It is not a good start for this place in my opinion, because someone who is not able to show on Facebook, Google and Trip even before opening their restaurants are not people who will succeed in anything...

Anyway I will try it and report, thanks again.

On 11/4/2016 at 7:49 AM, SidJames said:

Nice one JT, I will have a go when I get a chance but do you know if they have a policy on bringing your own wine?

Hi

I posed that question last night on my first visit there.

Answer was yes, OK, I asked about corkage charge, fully expecting them to ask for anywhere between 100 to 300 baht.

No, clearly stated , free.

I mentioned TV, received my 10 % discount, will do a review later.