200-year old Makamong tree felled by illegal loggers

rooster59

200-year old Makamong tree felled by illegal loggers

0411002.jpg

Illegal loggers have felled a huge 200-year old Makamong tree in Mae Ngao national park in Ngao district of Lampang.

It was not known when the tree was chopped off, but forest officials were despatched to the scene after they were alerted by villagers.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/200-year-old-makamong-tree-felled-by-illegal-loggers/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-05

5 hours ago, Chicog said:

They really should be authorised just to shoot them on sight.

Nothing else will stop them.

And this kind of shooting happen ever so often. This guys is armed and dangerous.

Forest rangers get killed every year protecting Thailand's forest and wild life . And poachers get killed as well by the rangers.

But the forest rangers can't be everywhere at the same time. Poachers just have to wait till it is clear.

If no one would buy illegal wood or animals. Then the problem would go away.

Until then money will rule :angry:

On 2016-11-04 at 5:17 PM, taichiplanet said:

what is the sound of a 200 year old being chopped down if no one hears it?

Please excuse the repeated quotes...my mistake.

I have dropped 'many 'big sticks' on several continents. The sound they make is actually quite terrifying as we never know what will happen in the next 5 seconds. . A good fall is a good fall, but, if you are selectively harvesting , which most 'high graders' /selective loggers are; it is highly dangerous. The tree may fall and become wedged between two close trees and then bounce back with tons of weight passing wind upon your face; if you are lucky. Dropping a big stick where you want them to go while it leans otherwise  ...you have to assess the lean and  undercut it so it will pivot on it's axis and against it's natural fall to land where you want it to go. Limbs can break and fall directly upon the faller. The faller may not know how to read his tree or file his saw, which will influence his demise.They do die quicker. Tough and dangerous occupation, but never one to be disrespected.

I have killed enough trees in my time, for my lifetime....aye, but the sound of an awkward, big stick crashing down within 2 feet of your selected spot for it. Damn...not socially correct anymore....but, a worthy skill.

Should we stop logging old growth .....of course.      ....Ken