Thailand still expects 32.4 million tourist arrivals this year

rooster59

Thailand still expects 32.4 million tourist arrivals this year

tour_0.jpg

Photo: Lawrence Goh/Flickr

BANGKOK:-- Thailand still expects to reach its forecast of 32.4 million visitors this year, the tourism and sports minister said on Friday, a target that was revised lower in early October.

The military government declared a year-long period of mourning to mark the death of King Bhumibol Adulyadej who died on Oct. 13 at the age of 88, after 70 years on the throne. It advised festivities be curtailed for the first 30 days of the king's death, although it also urged businesses to stay active.

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul told reporters that visitor arrivals rose 1.8 percent in October from a year earlier, or about 1.9 million.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/11/04/thailand-still-expects-324-million-tourist-arrivals-year

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-11-05

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

:cheesy: Right on cue, she just never gives up !

I wish she would. But as one poster said elsewhere, she may have her long-term sights set on the 'premiership'. 

May God protect us all. Get your garlic and crucifixes out!

I think the tourism minister and people at tat live in la-la land.

All the time they say tourism numbers up, yet people working in the industry say numbers are down.

If the figures are to be believed the country would be over run with tourists.

Just silly statements to make them look good.

11 minutes ago, kalbo123 said:

Working in the tourism industry in Chiang Mai, I notice a significant drop in tourists and talking with my competitors they al say the same, worst then last year.

She's a Buddhist I presume, would a crucifix work and she'd used the garlic for cooking.

We can't scare her off by showing her a reflection of herself because she may not have one.

I think we're doomed.

The extent of the damage that tourism does as opposed to the benefits is staggering.  Environmentally, Thailand is a mess.  Millions still want to cross off Thailand on their bucket list, meanwhile the country has stooped to selling rotten fruit to the fools who visit. Amazing...not quite. 

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

What they expect, and what actually happens are two completely different things.

Precisely. I expect to make $5 million dollars this year. Will that happen? Unlikely. Dreaming and creating a scenario that allows the dream to come to fruition are two completely separate realities. The TAT continues to dream. No reality on the ground could possibly interrupt nor negatively effect their dream. 

Then Immigration Dept is going to have to sit up and start treating tourists and retirees as if we were welcome.  The long queues at international airports are ridiculous.

If Malaysia can process overseas passengers in less than half a minute, then Immigration officials should make a trip over the border and see how they do it.

Came in yesterday afternoon.  Was the busiest I've ever seen it.  Could have been just a one off, but it was a zoo getting through immigration.  The driver said he heard some were in line for almost 2 hours. It was close to an hour for me.  Ridiculous.

1 hour ago, kalbo123 said:

Working in the tourism industry in Chiang Mai, I notice a significant drop in tourists and talking with my competitors they al say the same, worst then last year.

Same here but in Udon-Thani..yesterday a THAI asked me how my wifes Resturant is going,and that have NEVER happened in 15 years a Thai asking me this...Answer,it's slower and getting slower by the year.And mostly we serve/cater towards Farrangs..TAT...and what about this i read on TV today:

"Thailand's growth highest for 3 years

You only have to visit Thailand to appreciate that the country is going through a period of growth and this has been confirmed by figures that have recently been released. Thailand’s GDP grew by 3.5% from the previous year in the second quarter of 2016. This was an increase on the first quarter of the year which saw a 3.2% expansion and surpassed expectations of a 3.2% increase. This was the strongest recorded growth since the first quarter of 2013.

The reason for this growth was largely due to a risen in private consumption that rose by 3.8%, compared with 2.3% in the previous quarter. A significant increase was recorded in the purchase of new vehicles which rose by an impressive 13.1%, especially after a contraction of 2.4% in the previous quarter. Income from the farming sector also rose and did the income from the fishing industry and this in conjunction with fiscal stimulus packages during the Songkran festival also helped.

Export of goods and services continued to rise, rising by 0.6% even with the Thai Baht continuing to strengthen. Imports again decreased as they did in the first quarter helping with the Balance of Payments as well as confirming the confidence and sustainability of the economy.

Hotels and restaurants also reported increases with this sector growing 12.7% proving that the country is still attracting an increasing number of visitors from overseas as well as suggesting that Thai nationals now have greater disposable income. This confirms information previously reported by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) that tourist arrivals were predicted to be around 32 million for 2016. This news will be welcomed in cities such as Pattaya where tourism makes up a huge percentage of the local economy. Investors will also be happy with the news.

The projected growth for 2016 as a whole is still predicted to be between 3% and 3.5%, unchanged from previous forecasts. Exports are still expected to decline although this may be a prudent prediction. If greater analysis is carried out on the period from January to June 2016, the economy grew by 3.4%, a significant increase on the 2.8% expansion the previous year.

Once again, all the news coming out about the financial performance of the Thai economy is very positive. Business and private investors will be looking with intrigue and anticipation for what 2017 holds but predictions are once again very positive.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

If it's any indication....I along with 2 of my family sat on a plane 7 days ago from Australia . after the door closed we were able to change seats so we had a row by ourselves. Most of the people in the last 20 rows (3×3) could do the same. 

IF the planes aren't full they won't get anywhere near the estimate . 

Those numbers (as always) are for domestic consumption to reassure the locals that life in Juntaland is all smiles and happiness and that they'll all be rich soon, just like the top cats are.

Are they still claiming tourism only contributes (roughly) 5-6% to GDP too?

10 minutes ago, tonywillo said:

If it's any indication....I along with 2 of my family sat on a plane 7 days ago from Australia . after the door closed we were able to change seats so we had a row by ourselves. Most of the people in the last 20 rows (3×3) could do the same. 

IF the planes aren't full they won't get anywhere near the estimate . 

I just got off the phone with the Tourism Authority of Thailand about your story above.  The TAT said you were on the 11th plane that had just left Oz for Thailand.   The first 10 planes were jammed-packed full...but your plane, the 11th plane, which they also called the overflow plane was indeed not full.

43 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Came in yesterday afternoon.  Was the busiest I've ever seen it.  Could have been just a one off, but it was a zoo getting through immigration.  The driver said he heard some were in line for almost 2 hours. It was close to an hour for me.  Ridiculous.

i came in last sunday and it was a good run. when the lines are long it tends to be because there are not enough officials checking passports, or most of them are on the lanes checking only thai passports.  2 hours is a disgraceful.

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

where the hell are they all staying? because it certainly isn't Hua Hin

You've hit on one of the most common refrains in LoS.

i have a couple of friends who own bar/restaurant businesses in different parts of the country and they're always asking where all the supposed tourists are.

If it wasn't for their regulars, all resident foreigners, they'd have to close down.

to be 'enhanced' by a new international airport in Lumphun. oh yeah!  in the up and coming new Aviation Hub of the AEC..... except that the AEC already has some hubs... including one in the demographic center of the AEC.... where they are converting an even bigger former US military air base into a new airport 'hub'... and were also nearby there are more than 20 universities and schools offering a degree in aerospace engineering... all of which schools specialize in aerospace.. while in Thailand... the future Hub of Aviation.... has only one or two programs in it and those at universities that 'offer' degrees in just about everything under the sun.... with that epicenter place, the one I was just eluding to, just happening to be one of those places most local folks can't even seem to recall is even a member of ASEAN when in fact it's not only one of the 2 most important ones.. it's the fastest growing market for... you guessed it.... everything under the sun.... the.......Philippines.     

Edited by maewang99