Thailand still expects 32.4 million tourist arrivals this year

rooster59

Transit passengers who dont have to collect luggage  wouldnt go thru immigration, just security and go to departure lounge, so no. If your journey out is on an airline where you have to get your luggage first then you will exit via immig, get your bags and check in again, so yes. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the reason why hotels are offering rates at less than half compared to last year and still have more than 50% of their rooms empty. Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul has not understood the basics of quality tourism by price and goes for quantity tourism by numbers. This ignorance, combined with the weed-smoking Somchai down at the TAT, are a deadly cocktail. 

There is a reason why hotels in all other neighbouring hotels are not only much better occupied but also get much higher average room rates. But as long as they powers-to-be run after the Zero-Dollarist .......... oh, well! 

I am coming to Thailand to visit again, simply because I have my Thai family in BKK and will have

a few more trips to avoid some of the Canadian Winter.  Next trip I take will be a combo of

Thailand, Australia, Vietnam and maybe one other place.  I will have to see how the world

is, before I plan too far ahead.  I to think that TAT tourism is very optimistic.

Geezer

2 hours ago, Tatsujin said:

Those numbers (as always) are for domestic consumption to reassure the locals that life in Juntaland is all smiles and happiness and that they'll all be rich soon, just like the top cats are.

Are they still claiming tourism only contributes (roughly) 5-6% to GDP too?

Isn't it amazing the approach to tourism when it suits ?

Sometimes it's all important but when there's any complaints the chest gets puffed out and the ' we don't rely on tourism ' response is trotted out.

3 hours ago, kalbo123 said:

Working in the tourism industry in Chiang Mai, I notice a significant drop in tourists and talking with my competitors they al say the same, worst then last year.

Hi Kalbo, you are working in the tourist industry in Chiangmai, so I'd really like to hear your informed opinion on the following points :

- When you say there is a significant drop, are you talking about Chinese tourists or all the tourists ?

- Has tourism in CM completely changed in the past 3/4 years, shifting rapidly from mostly European tourists to Chinese tourists, or is it just an urban legend ?

- If the answer to the second question is yes, then :

1/ do you feel that Chinese tourists have somehow 'chased' the other ones ?

2/ would you say that Chinese tourists spend as much as the others and in the same places ?

Thank you very much in advance for your input.

WOW I think the TAT lady deserves a 30% raise due to the fact that she claims tourism is up by roughly that amount over last year. Pay her in Monopoly money which all world currencies are getting close to in value. 

Edited by elgordo38

10 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

Hi Kalbo, you are working in the tourist industry in Chiangmai, so I'd really like to hear your informed opinion on the following points :

- When you say there is a significant drop, are you talking about Chinese tourists or all the tourists ?

- Has tourism in CM completely changed in the past 3/4 years, shifting rapidly from mostly European tourists to Chinese tourists, or is it just an urban legend ?

- If the answer to the second question is yes, then :

1/ do you feel that Chinese tourists have somehow 'chased' the other ones ?

2/ would you say that Chinese tourists spend as much as the others and in the same places ?

Thank you very much in advance for your input.

I don't know whether Chinese tourists outspend others but they sure outshout them. 

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I am coming to Thailand to visit again, simply because I have my Thai family in BKK and will have

a few more trips to avoid some of the Canadian Winter.  Next trip I take will be a combo of

Thailand, Australia, Vietnam and maybe one other place.  I will have to see how the world

is, before I plan too far ahead.  I to think that TAT tourism is very optimistic.

Geezer

Not to worry Geezer you will be counted entering and maybe leaving as well. I think these stats are figured out by some government flunky who stands right on the border line between Thailand and some other neighboring country and has someone hop back and forth constantly day and night and he has one of those clock counters in his hand and he pushes it each time the person jumps into the Thailand part. Limbers one up. 

Edited by elgordo38

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I am about to head out to the local shopping mall for a few things and a visit to the food court for a quick snack.  I expect to meet that lovely girlfriend that has a good paying job.  I will let you know how that turns out.

Didn't find that lovely girlfriend that had a good paying job.  What's up with that?  I had to settle for a decent shrimp and chicken teriyaki stir fry.

4 hours ago, Eligius said:

I wish she would. But as one poster said elsewhere, she may have her long-term sights set on the 'premiership'. 

May God protect us all. Get your garlic and crucifixes out!

I think your onto something. She definitely has her sights set on something higher up the junta/political ladder. With her deftness with numbers she would make a great head of the BofT if his job is open. She should get her bags packed along with her abacus and be ready for "The Call To Duty"

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

That's the reason why hotels are offering rates at less than half compared to last year and still have more than 50% of their rooms empty. Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul has not understood the basics of quality tourism by price and goes for quantity tourism by numbers. This ignorance, combined with the weed-smoking Somchai down at the TAT, are a deadly cocktail. 

There is a reason why hotels in all other neighbouring hotels are not only much better occupied but also get much higher average room rates. But as long as they powers-to-be run after the Zero-Dollarist .......... oh, well! 

You have to spend money to spruce things up to make money.

4 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Didn't find that lovely girlfriend that had a good paying job.  What's up with that?  I had to settle for a decent shrimp and chicken teriyaki stir fry.

After each divorce(3) I always said the next one better have money. Here I am stuck in Thailand with a g/f 50 years younger than me. Woe is me.  

Just now, elgordo38 said:

After each divorce(3) I always said the next one better have money. Here I am stuck in Thailand with a g/f 50 years younger than me. Woe is me.  

Haha. Yeah.  I understand.  This year I came close to punching out and coasting to my social security just 3 years away.  I have plenty of dividend and interest income, etc.  But I got a direct salary job offer I really couldn't refuse here in Southern California.  So that young Thai wife or GF is on hold for awhile.   I would be a bit bored doing nothing and while I still have some engineering brains yet, I decided to keep the paychecks coming.  So Cal is an OK place to hang out and you never really know how much money you may need in retirement.

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

Haha. Yeah.  I understand.  This year I came close to punching out and coasting to my social security just 3 years away.  I have plenty of dividend and interest income, etc.  But I got a direct salary job offer I really couldn't refuse here in Southern California.  So that young Thai wife or GF is on hold for awhile.   I would be a bit bored doing nothing and while I still have some engineering brains yet, I decided to keep the paychecks coming.  So Cal is an OK place to hang out and you never really know how much money you may need in retirement.

Yes your correct and employers are always on the lookout for "seasoned" workers as the young ones have to high expectations. Guys come here and dump money like a drunken sailor and then suddenly get sick. You better plan like your going to live to a 150 and in actuality if you make it to 80 praise the Gods. 

3 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes your correct and employers are always on the lookout for "seasoned" workers as the young ones have to high expectations. Guys come here and dump money like a drunken sailor and then suddenly get sick. You better plan like your going to live to a 150 and in actuality if you make it to 80 praise the Gods. 

Genetically speaking, I have good age potential.  Great aunts and uncles all made it to late 80s.  No family medical histories, no drug or drinking or smoking habits.   So I figure 3.5 more years of work are a fair compromise.  The work is up my alley and not too stressful.  I have been on the job there as a contractor for 5 years on and off.   They made an offer well north of 150k, and the medical is so much cheaper than what I was paying on my own (100 versus 340) per month 3+ weeks vacation plus holidays and a week plant shutdown.  Freaking California taxes suck and I doubt I will pick up a home here north of San Diego because I just don't want to commit to a 600K liability!    But the weather is nice, I am pretty sure I will be able to work a transfer in my last year over to Florida (tax free for retirement setup).  But I sure miss Thailand.  12 great holidays there, some of one and two months length.  But who knows, maybe this job situation won't work out and next year I will cut out, live overseas for a few years and avoid obamacare

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

Genetically speaking, I have good age potential.  Great aunts and uncles all made it to late 80s.  No family medical histories, no drug or drinking or smoking habits.   So I figure 3.5 more years of work are a fair compromise.  The work is up my alley and not too stressful.  I have been on the job there as a contractor for 5 years on and off.   They made an offer well north of 150k, and the medical is so much cheaper than what I was paying on my own (100 versus 340) per month 3+ weeks vacation plus holidays and a week plant shutdown.  Freaking California taxes suck and I doubt I will pick up a home here north of San Diego because I just don't want to commit to a 600K liability!    But the weather is nice, I am pretty sure I will be able to work a transfer in my last year over to Florida (tax free for retirement setup).  But I sure miss Thailand.  12 great holidays there, some of one and two months length.  But who knows, maybe this job situation won't work out and next year I will cut out, live overseas for a few years and avoid obamacare

If your looking for a good lady start shopping now. It takes a while to sort through the chaff. 

A few weeks ago when the immigration computers were down for a day and the report said, that at Swampy alone there were nearly 10,000 arrivals/departures unrecorded, i was thinking that TAT's numbers for tourists visiting Thailand each year can not be correct?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/950514-immigration-system-down-thousands-of-tourist-arrivalsdepartures-not-recorded/#comment-11269809

But then i didn't have me Thai calculator at hand and also forgot that Chiang Mai and Phuket must be getting the majority of all the tourists. :whistling: 

Edited by Boycie
Spelling

Been in the field of Horica in Thailand for years myself, they are truly kidding them self and giving the tourist industry false expectations, considering the government is destroying the tourist industry by it's own situation, sanctions and restrictions.
I wish and hope it's true but Thailand has a long way to go to reach where it was a long time ago.

9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

A few weeks ago when the immigration computers were down for a day and the report said, that at Swampy alone there were nearly 10,000 arrivals unrecorded, i was thinking that TAT's numbers for tourists visiting Thailand each year can not be correct?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/950514-immigration-system-down-thousands-of-tourist-arrivalsdepartures-not-recorded/#comment-11269809

But then i didn't have me Thai calculator at hand and also forgot that Chiang Mai and Phuket must be getting the majority of all the tourists. :whistling: 

14 minutes ago, Boycie said:

A few weeks ago when the immigration computers were down for a day and the report said, that at Swampy alone there were nearly 10,000 arrivals unrecorded, i was thinking that TAT's numbers for tourists visiting Thailand each year can not be correct?

I'm sure the Minister added the 10,000 to her totals but just to be sure of accuracy called it 20,000.

1 minute ago, stockdesigns said:

Been in the field of Horica in Thailand for years myself, they are truly kidding them self and giving the tourist industry false expectations, considering the government is destroying the tourist industry by it's own situation, sanctions and restrictions.
I wish and hope it's true but Thailand has a long way to go to reach where it was a long time ago.

I am convinced it peaked in 2004.  Good bad or indifferent the political situation was fairly stable, there seemed to be an actual legal election, etc.  Things really started downhill after the thaksin overthrow.  Regardless of the reasons, you can't have things like that in a "civilized" country.  constantly changing regimes, throwing out constitutions, reducing civilian police and courts to what some consider at the very least walking on egg shells or completely bowing to whatever the military says, just isn't good for business.  Straight up people will only take so much or be willing to only risk so much.   I believe so much russian bad or mob money moved in after russian negotiated favorable and special immigration rules for Russians, that it really helped put things in a worst state.  Now, well, look around.  Businesses being hassled.  People being detained for whatever reason the military wants, visa crackdowns are making all the straight up people endure more and more challenges.  Pattaya construction went crazy and now is over sold.  Massive condo in Jomtien in limbo.  So many rules and regulations were broken, bribes were paid, work not completed.  Laws and law suits and behind the scene agreements in limbo.  But, things rarely stay simple. Word gets out and people flock to good deals and abuse happens.  will be interesting to see how things shake out if and after the next election, new monarchy structure, etc