Marriage Proposal Ideas

gjta12

I will be proposing to my Thai girlfriend in 2 weeks and I'm looking for help and ideas about how to propose.  

She was meant to be coming to England for Christmas  but a change of jobs has meant she can't come so I'm going there instead.   I'm not confident of what to do and how to plan, I would like somewhere romantic and would a restaurant, cruise etc be willing to help with arrangements, flowers, capturing the moment etc.

Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After I lived with my now wife for over a year, I asked her if she wanted to get married. I got a strange look from her and she asked, "Why". Not very romantic for sure. I told her there were certain US tax advantages for married people. That made sense to her and she said "Up to you". We got married.

really??i  cant  remember how  i  asked  my Wife but  i  do  know  it  cost  me about  500 baht  for  the  slap up meal for us and  two friends who were witnesses.in their  lunch  hour. 10 years  ago  now

4 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

My first question of concern would be. Where did you meet her?  How long have you known her? And did you ever bother to learn Thai?

Why not ask him his Mother's maiden name while you're at it. He is simply looking for ideas, not a "third degree" session that doesn't have any bearing on the advice he is looking for. 

We got to about 2 months before my son was born and we were talking on a chat program one night. I mentioned it would be the right thing to do if we got married before he was born.

She agreed as her dad had been on her about paperwork.

On my arrival back to bangkok we went down and registered our marriage for 20 baht. Paid the 500 baht bribe that was requested.

We then went to Pizza company for lunch as I loved the salad bar.

Her dad then went about spending a small fortune changing ownership structure on properities they had so there was no chance of the farang getting any.

We have now been happily married for 8 years (detect sarcaism).

How do I know this? Well we were walking past a jewellery shop today and my wife mentioned to me that if we make ten years then I'm to buy her another ring. Looking already i mentioned, a lot can happen in 2 years.

2 hours ago, geronimo said:

One could always present one's ATM card on a silver tray and go down on one knee.

Good idea, you could be a fat ugly old git with facial hair and tattoos, your proposal will be accepted, unless of course she is hi so.

If you are in BKK then IF YOU ARE SURE SHE WILL SY YES I would take her out for a lovely dinner on New Years at one of the better hotels. 

During dinner I would ask if the hotel could help me and explain to them what you want to do.

Then during a break in the dancing or in between songs ask her.

It makes it memorable.  Easy to celebrate every year.  You will get a lot of appreciation not just form her but all Thais there.

She will be the spectacle (in a good way) of all the people congratulating her.  

I would have said do it at midnight but no fireworks this year so you willhave to make them in your room LOL

5 hours ago, geronimo said:

If you're asking TV members, don't be surprised if they all advise against it. Miserable bunch.

I was with my Thai girlfriend fourteen years before i married her. She was never a bar girl and barely spoke English when i met her.  Seen too many foreign idiots get married off to women i would not touch with a ten foot pole. The most recent one has H.I.V.. Did you think she bothered to tell the alcoholic brain soaked toothless moron ? No! So of course she is now covered in gold married and the new house mansion compared to the broken down shack is being built. He lives out of country and will for the next fourteen before he retires.  Every time he leaves she is back in the bar in Pattaya. How many times have we heard this story? I give him less than two years before his bank account  runs dry unless the disease kills him first. Just a nice warning.

57 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Why not ask him his Mother's maiden name while you're at it. He is simply looking for ideas, not a "third degree" session that doesn't have any bearing on the advice he is looking for. 

2 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

I was with my Thai girlfriend fourteen years before i married her. She was never a bar girl and barely spoke English when i met her.  Seen too many foreign idiots get married off to women i would not touch with a ten foot pole. The most recent one has H.I.V.. Did you think she bothered to tell the alcoholic brain soaked toothless moron ? No! So of course she is now covered in gold married and the new house mansion compared to the broken down shack is being built. He lives out of country and will for the next fourteen before he retires.  Every time he leaves she is back in the bar in Pattaya. How many times have we heard this story? I give him less than two years before his bank account  runs dry unless the disease kills him first. Just a nice warning.

5555 maybe it was the girls who wouldn't be seen dead with you. so you know of a bar girl with HIV who is plying her work when her boyfriend goes home but you keep this little revelation to yourself untill such time you can roll it out on TV. No thought of telling the now what was it you called him!!!! oh yes

"alcoholic brain soaked toothless moron".

WHAT an absolute pathetic work of Fiction.

47 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Good idea, you could be a fat ugly old git with facial hair and tattoos, if you have a bulging wallet, your proposal will be accepted, unless of course she is hi so.

Edited by possum1931
typo

3 hours ago, Gary A said:

After I lived with my now wife for over a year, I asked her if she wanted to get married. I got a strange look from her and she asked, "Why". Not very romantic for sure. I told her there were certain US tax advantages for married people. That made sense to her and she said "Up to you". We got married.

This illustrates a good point. How you ask a lady to marry you really depends on the context of the existing relationship. If you have been living together for a while, and are completely comfortable in each other's company, proposals can be informal to satisfy administrative requirements like the one that Gary A describes. If, on the other hand, the relationship is still formal, then a more formal, dating rather than cohabitation, then a more formal proposal is appropriate.

Basically, before you propose, be sure that she loves you and that her family like you. If so, then a simple proposal over dinner or while on holiday will suffice. If she is traditional, she may also ask that you get her parent's permission before accepting, but they will accept if they like you.

Edited by dbrenn

why are you getting married, or why do you want too ?

what benefits are there ?

if there are none, then why marry someone when its obvious your miles apart

at least LIVE WITH EACH OTHER FIRST for at least a few years

have you met ALL her family ?

have you met them enough to make a firm opinion about them ?

just from reading your post, it sounds like you are in la la land (no offense)

she changes job preventing her to visit you

you want something all romantic.............

sounds like you need to be a bit more seasoned here mate

and you at least need to be here living with her for at least of couple of years

or she needs to be living with you in your home for a good while

otherwise you may soon learn a bit about about some thai culture

My instance was pretty much as Gary A described his, but we had been together for three years at the time. Yes, she did ask "why". I explained the difference in bank deposit requirement for married extension at Immigration. That made sense so she said OK. Now together for 14 years and married for 11 of those. Up and down times but mostly very much up per my POV, not sure about hers.

My wife and I married in Bangkok. Her sister and brother in law were our witnesses. There was no sinsot and the wedding party consisted of dinner with our witnesses. It was a decent restaurant. We have been legally married for more than ten years. Her mother and father may have known we got married but I don't remember. My wife is quite independent.

I was on Koh Samet recently (Ao Prao beach). During the evening one of the resorts had roped off a small section of the beach and set up a decorated canvas "sala". Inside was a table, 2 chairs, and champagne cooler - all lit by candles.

I think the couple dining there were celebrating an anniversary. Mrs Chickenslegs was impressed - quite gooey in fact (leading to questions about my own lack of romantic gestures:whistling:).

I expect that many resorts, on many islands, could set up something like this. You could tell her you have booked a few days holiday on an island, then spring this as a surprise and make your proposal.

Also, you could add to the surprise by having friends/family hidden away, to join the celebration (assuming she says yes). But this would take a greater degree of organisation.

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

5555 maybe it was the girls who wouldn't be seen dead with you. so you know of a bar girl with HIV who is plying her work when her boyfriend goes home but you keep this little revelation to yourself untill such time you can roll it out on TV. No thought of telling the now what was it you called him!!!! oh yes

"alcoholic brain soaked toothless moron".

WHAT an absolute pathetic work of Fiction.

As i already mentioned the guy is dumber than a brick. Tried warning him numerous times and got the typical cooked brain look. Work of fiction ?  Let me guess you have never heard this common story before? What universe do you live in ? As for your other comments it seems like i hit a nerve that reminded you of your own nightmare.