Old passport with O-A visa lost, replaced with new passport

Hello,

I had a retirement visa (O-A) valid until 3 Dec 2016 in my passport. This was  issued to my husband and I together in India on the same date. Unfortunately, I returned to India and misplaced this passport. Subsequently, I reported to police etc and got a new passport issued in India. Questions: 1) Can I request the Thai embassy in India to give me a copy of the stamp from my lost passport from their records, and then renew my retirement visa in Bangkok, before 3 Dec 2016?   2) If not, and I take a 60 day tourist visa to return to Thailand, can I renew my old retirement visa there, or must I start completely afresh?    3)  Can starting afresh be done in Thailand or does it only need to be done in India?

Grateful for your help.  

If you have a visa from an embassy or consulate it is lost along with the passport. The only thing that can be done is to get a new visa.

If you had an extension of stay issued by immigration here it would be possible to have it re-instated. If you only have a visa there is nothing that can be done here.

Starting afresh from within Thailand certainly used to be possible.  You could arrive on a Permit to Enter or VoA and then convert that to an O-visa at your local immigration office, and that would be the basis of your extensions from then on.  I believe that not all immigration offices can do it now, so maybe a call or visit to your local one would clarify what they can do, or how this can be done perhaps in Bangkok. 

If your visa was just that, and not an extension, then the issuing office might be persuaded to put a stamp in your new passport, but that would probably need a personal visit to them.

6 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Starting afresh from within Thailand certainly used to be possible.  You could arrive on a Permit to Enter or VoA and then convert that to an O-visa at your local immigration office, and that would be the basis of your extensions from then on.  I believe that not all immigration offices can do it now, so maybe a call or visit to your local one would clarify what they can do, or how this can be done perhaps in Bangkok. 

If your visa was just that, and not an extension, then the issuing office might be persuaded to put a stamp in your new passport, but that would probably need a personal visit to them.

Wrong - As has been said, if it was a visa, it is lost,gone and over.

Edited by muzmurray
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, muzmurray said:

Wrong - As has been said, if it was a visa, it is lost,gone and over.

One assumes that such a pedantic reply comes from first-hand personal experience with that particular embassy?  Other people's experiences have been successful in replacing a visa

24 minutes ago, jpinx said:

One assumes that such a pedantic reply comes from first-hand personal experience with that particular embassy?  Other people's experiences have been successful in replacing a visa

I stand to be corrected - please just lead me to the page that tells such a story.  :-)

12 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Your reference to arriving with a "Permit to Enter"  sort of undercuts your credibility. If she had been given an extension of permission to stay by immigrations and had a re--entry permit (nothing to do with the embassy). immigrations would have a record of such in their computer system, but that information would not be available to any embassy. 

Even if she were in Thailand and had both the old and new passport, visas are never transferred or renewed although immigration information regarding permission/extension of stay, re-entry permits, and most recent entry to country would be.

2 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Your reference to arriving with a "Permit to Enter"  sort of undercuts your credibility. If she had been given an extension of permission to stay by immigrations and had a re--entry permit (nothing to do with the embassy). immigrations would have a record of such in their computer system, but that information would not be available to any embassy. 

Even if she were in Thailand and had both the old and new passport, visas are never transferred or renewed although immigration information regarding permission/extension of stay, re-entry permits, and most recent entry to country would be.

13 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

I stand to be corrected - please just lead me to the page that tells such a story.  :-)

The reference to the Permit to Enter was part of the explanation of how to get a retirement extension without leaving Thailand.  The explanation was generic. I daresay if I had not mentioned it I would have been chastised by the usual TV vigilantes for my omission ;) 

The reference to getting a visa transferred was because i had to have that done, admittedly some years ago and not in Thailand, hence my comment suggesting a personal visit in order to get the best chance of a good result.

Posters in here generally are trying to help, but the amount of attempted slapping down discourages postings, reduces page visits and hence reduces TV's access to advertising revenues.  It's a bit of a mud-wallow at the best of times, but there's no need to nit-pick like an egret on a hippos rump ;)

I don't recall any report of somebody being able to get a visa replaced when the passport it is in is lost. Thai embassy and consulates will not do it.

The only location I can recall that would transfer a visa to a new passport was at one of the consulates in the UK. It is not something that is routinely done. 

28 minutes ago, hakancnx said:

But if a person who lost his passport have copies of it. Could that help in any way?

No it would not help since they will not issue a replacement visa.

From MFA website FAQ (last question on page). http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15380-Questions-&-Answers-on-Thai-Visa.html

Q:    I have been in Thailand since last week with a multiple-entry business visa.

I happened to lose my passport yesterday. What should I do?

A:    First, you need to go to a police station for a report of the loss.

Then you need to go to your Embassy in Bangkok for an issuance of new passport.........

You need to apply for a new visa on your new passport before coming to Thailand next time.

I got the impression that the OP lost their passport outside of Thailand, in India.  I have made an assumption that the passport is Indian and the replacement was obtained within India.. I also assumed that the OP is not yet in Thailand - hence the suggestion of how to get the retirement extension from scratch, which might be the easiest option.  If my assumptions are incorrect, then my commentary is not applicable, but not incorrect.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 8:48 AM, ubonjoe said:

I don't recall any report of somebody being able to get a visa replaced when the passport it is in is lost. Thai embassy and consulates will not do it.

The only location I can recall that would transfer a visa to a new passport was at one of the consulates in the UK. It is not something that is routinely done. 

This is a little OT re the OP's situation but just for informational purposes.

I lost my passport while in Thailand about eight years ago.  With a police report, copies of my passport, a trip to Immigration in BKK, and a  little tea money, I was able to get a replacement Non-Im O in my new passport.  It is a bastardized stamp that still drives Immigration officials crazy.

With respect.

1 hour ago, ellobo said:

This is a little OT re the OP's situation but just for informational purposes.

I lost my passport while in Thailand about eight years ago.  With a police report, copies of my passport, a trip to Immigration in BKK, and a  little tea money, I was able to get a replacement Non-Im O in my new passport.  It is a bastardized stamp that still drives Immigration officials crazy.

With respect.

One suspects that what you actually got was a replacement of an extension of stay, not a visa.