Android phones slowing down or "getting full"

Seriously, these "cleaner apps" cause more slowdowns than they fix, think about it, an app running continuously monitoring everything. Best thing you can do is clear all cache files on a regular basis, app by app or via system, and kill off apps when not using them. That said depending on your version of Android lollipop and marshmallow have a lot more efficiency than jellybean and KitKat.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Yes TouchWiz is not the best launcher, personally I use Nova launcher. Batteries die, you'll notice when they are going, longer charge times and limited hours of use. It's quickly downhill from there. Apps that you have created widgets for will also affect performance. Weather apps, news feed apps etc. Widgets will affect performance. Don't load them and just open the particular app if you want it's info.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Lots of interesting stuff there, Mikey.  Please see my #29 post. And yes I use neither Line or FB and have no problems but Wifey uses Line all day.  I am sure it is RAM getting cluttered with loading and shuffling unnecessary stuff somehow.

I would think that Google 's system checks and would not load a version of Android that the phone cannot cope with.

2 things

1) Cleaner / Monitoring Apps - Many of them will definitely reduce battery life. I always have Virus scan turned on but turn off all other checks. It is IMO better to turn on once a week or so, execute and then turn off again

2) The "*#9900#" doesn't work on all Android versions. It's a very strong command actually. Will work very well if it works and will do nothing if it is executed on a non supported Android version. That's what Android programmed it to do anyway... You would end up with a very dead phone if somehow this command goes wrong. Hard reset only option

Backup first, then try it

Sent from my Nokia 3315

Edited by MikeyIdea

I am a bit wary of using that "9900" command without knowing more about it.  Mentioning Widgets, we are farmers & both of us have a weather widget running most of the time every day.  We live in an area with a very sensitive micro climate & forecasts the day before can radically change on the day and even during the day.  This affects spraying & fertilizing regimes.   Very regularly, predicted heavy rain comes to our area but stops 2 km away from us at the same place, time after time.   We only know about it probably NOT reaching us when the forecast alters on the day.  Interesting but problematical to plan with.

359 Security has sped up my wifes phone again a bit but I wish Android was a bit tidier with loading unnecessary things into RAM.  (Or perhaps, that Line was.!!!!!!)

11 hours ago, raro said:

I'm tempted to try the  *#9900#  command on my zenfone 2 as it became very sluggish. 

What are the consequences? 

If it's not compatible then it won't hurt. 999,999,999 of the times :)

I think that Androids bought with subscription from AIS will not work, perhaps some smartie turned it off when they loaded their useless extra software, it is possible to do

Should be no harm in trying. It doesn't work on my Grand 2

Mikey

Edited by MikeyIdea

A friend of mine had very similar problems with the S4 and was on the verge of ditching it. The TouchWiz UI seems to really slow down Samsung phones after a time. Her eventual solution was to root the phone, she said the difference was like night and day.

Forget all the useless apps that supposedly help you to get rid of junk. 

Just keep it as clean as possible, meaning only necessary apps. 

I used to have that Galaxy s3 and I can say that for some reason it slows down and lags more than other android phones. 

Because of that I changed it. 

It's not necessary to change it but then you have to pay attention to keeping it organized. Only apps that you really need and not loaded with photos videos etc. 

And don't install dumb memory heavy apps like facebook. Line is perfectly fine. 

19 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

If it's not compatible then it won't hurt. 999,999,999 of the times :)

I think that Androids bought with subscription from AIS will not work, perhaps some smartie turned it off when they loaded their useless extra software, it is possible to do

Should be no harm in trying. It doesn't work on my Grand 2

Mikey

hmm...my question was rather....IF it work, what will it do to my phone? Apps all gone? Log in to a number of apps again after? Chat history in LINE messenger gone (one of the big drawbacks of LINE....) 

13 hours ago, raro said:

hmm...my question was rather....IF it work, what will it do to my phone? Apps all gone? Log in to a number of apps again after? Chat history in LINE messenger gone (one of the big drawbacks of LINE....)

Oh, sorry for that misunderstanding

If it works, then it will clear the Data\log directory and other temp files too = it cleans up at system level. The Data/Log directory is normally very big after a few years so it clears a lot of internal memory that cannot be cleared by apps that are not rooted

It does not clear chat history, apps will not disappear and you will not have to log in again

Edited by MikeyIdea

You should not click dial, just enter *#9900# on the keypad as if you were to dial a number and a menu should come up automatically.

There you click on Delete DumpStat/Logcat . If it takes many seconds for the phone to wake up, then it is actually deleting, if it is very quick, then command is most likely disabled and it does nothing

Edited by MikeyIdea

On 11/8/2016 at 1:37 PM, JaseTheBass said:

Once you've cleared out all the crap from the memory try the Greenify app which prevents apps running in the background if you're not using them. If you're not sure, read up on it first - it's highly recommended.

Some of the later Samsung S3's are able to use 4G. My old S3 cannot. That's not a big deal for me because my area has no 4G coverage. My old S3 is rooted and using Omega operating system. Greenify on a rooted phone is a great app. For a phone that is not rooted, not so great. Too much tinkering required. My luck with top of the line Samsung phones has been sad. I had two S4's and an S5 that suffered main board failures. The S5 died shortly after the warranty expired. The old S3 has been and still is a great phone. It even looks like a new phone because I had to replace the touch screen and it came with a partially new case. The S4's and the S5 were not worth repairing.

Had a problem with my S5 - no WiFi. Next day got a message - System UI has stopped working, making the fone useless. Took the plunge - moved contacts to SIM card - did a factory reset. Amazing difference. Way Way faster, all the trash gone, everything works. Spent yesterday driving in the car, fone not used much. Turned on 0530 turned off 2130 - battery at 91%. will do now every 6 months. Re: Line - why would you want conversations from a month - or 6 months ago. Ditch them and save the space

Edited by canthai55

On 19/11/2016 at 1:06 AM, canthai55 said:

Had a problem with my S5 - no WiFi. Next day got a message - System UI has stopped working, making the fone useless. Took the plunge - moved contacts to SIM card - did a factory reset. Amazing difference. Way Way faster, all the trash gone, everything works. Spent yesterday driving in the car, fone not used much. Turned on 0530 turned off 2130 - battery at 91%. will do now every 6 months. Re: Line - why would you want conversations from a month - or 6 months ago. Ditch them and save the space

For LINE addicts, they can run the pc version on their laptop and save everything there - and then reset the phone.  Handy for saving the photos :)

While I remember -- LINE has a "Keep" function to save your photos and other stuff on the LINE servers, so it's immune to resetting your phone.  Just make sure your account has a password set, and that the sim card is the same as the one you used to start your account -- then it *should* allow you to log in with the password after a verification code confirmation.  There's "how-to's" on the LINE website help pages.  I've not had to do that, but I've not heard of any failures -- apart from the usual tearing-your-hair-out frustration with these circuitous "security" systems that any wannabie hacker can get around. ;)

Today I opened LINE on my PC to try to get a picture that I had stored in KEEP via my phone.

Could not find any options on my PC that would access KEEP.

Typed KEEP into the help search box and it returned everything about LINE ,nothing about KEEP.

Just saying

1 hour ago, norbra said:

Today I opened LINE on my PC to try to get a picture that I had stored in KEEP via my phone.

Could not find any options on my PC that would access KEEP.

Typed KEEP into the help search box and it returned everything about LINE ,nothing about KEEP.

Just saying

You have to click on the "system" icon up on the far left top of the LINE, window in order to open Keep

Nothing to do with Android,  just saying 

line keep.png

On 22/11/2016 at 1:20 AM, norbra said:

Been there ,done that, but no Keep option in drop down menu

You need to keep Apps and PC versions up to date for these new features to work.  "Keep" in LINE is relatively new in the PC version. .  There is a debate about whether updating to the latest all-singing and dancing version is a good idea on an older device. I've certainly experienced a situation where the latest version of something has been so "feature-full" that it completely stalled the device.