Video of farang involved in Bangkok road rage incident goes viral

webfact

11 hours ago, tifino said:

the moment the falang actually laid his hands on the thai, and pushed...

and all those thais around him

Need to teach these Ignorant Thais how to Drive !!!!  They will take it out on you if you let them. had a bunch of Thais tried to play games with me in the 70's at Ubon.  after i cracked a cinder block wall they all ran. Took Tai Kwon Do from a Korean on base. Did not touch anyone, but the wall was enough for them to flee !!!  Never used it in a fight !!!!   :wai:

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, fruitman said:

Is he a real Brit? I mean one of those Brittish "gentlemen" who are always polite and well mannered?

Then why the <deleted> does he speak this way? I understand his anger but he should have stayed calm. He gives all of us farlang a bad name.

There are too many low class farangs like him here in Thailand unfortunately. No longer do Thais respect us as they used to

4 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

No he`s not, he`s from England. I am an Englishman myself and came to Thailand to get away from those types, but it seems they are following me here.

social media is a big deal in thai. this kinda stuff doesnt help us falangs. buckle down fellas

2 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

First of all, we don't know this guy. As someone mentioned, how long has he been in LOS? I am amazed at how some people believe foreigners should flip a switch, erase x years of their cultures, and, experiencing incredible odd driving behaviour, expect foreigners, all people to know how to behave in Thailand. Thai people and expats living here should be a bit more forgiving. What about the Mai Pen Rai? True, shoving and shouting are not acceptable. I have noticed the same kind of expectations directed at anyone who comes to Thailand: Chinese visiting Thailand. Do Thai people magically expect all people from outside Thailand to be Thais, to behave like Thais? As we have seen, no culture is exempt from blowing fuses at times. In defense of Thai airport immigration, they do have some info on this as one enters the country, but I wish they had a website that would attempt to educate. Still, like I said, can we really expect all people to turn the switch off? Do people honestly believe all people on Earth should know what it is like to be behaving as Thais? In fairness, it might be a bit odd for Thais to face this, although the mini-cooper incident seems to invalidate this as well. Keep in mind that I find (and I am sure many would or do find) that looking at a stoic face, non-apologetic face can be destabilizing for some. Not saying that Thais, that all people, have been taught, know, or that this would have diffused the situation, but, when cultures clashes and ... crashes, sh*t happens! Clearly, we do not know the full story too. Was this a retaliation for an earlier mistake that the foreigner was indignant about: as in scooter chases car, after near miss, kick the car, or .... We don't know. No one has mentioned that he was traveling with 2 kids and a wife and that --in and of itself-- can be a recipe for losing a few neurons as well! We don;t know the full story! It is easy to jump to conclusion. As far as "assault" is concerned. Come on! Yes! Legally, as in US legally, extending a gaze towards someone could be construed as murder, especially if it is a woman, but, as others have mentioned, no blood, no injury! It is likely that the "recipient" will amplify things to exculpate himself. Still, as others have mentioned, it looks like this was not unprovoked. It looks like the other party messed up. But, we don;t know. Lastly, the cool and collected guys on this forum would never lose their cool, I know, but suppose you kill the scooter driver or both, as they both swerve into your car without warning. Still, cool and collected seeing the prospect of time spend in a jail for a few years become a reality? Imagine that the scooter drivers who were playing games on their smartphones service and as you start talking to them, continue playing! You would not lose it? Your wife is bloodied. You would not lose it? IN other words, you never, ever lose it? Come on! Are you human or are you so stoic, you could be labelled psychopathic? LOL As another poster mentioned, there is no information about when this took place. Could this be posted as a way to deflect or be a revenge for the critical words expressed to the HI-SO drivers of the mini (and all of thai people, by extension) a few days ago? This --in more that one way-- shows that owning one of those dash cams is crucial here. I would recommend spending the one with the rear view as well, for $2000. It works well. It is clear enough. This event could have happened outside of Thailand as well. Personally, I find that foreigners are ways too rigid when they drive here (I guess that comes with experience). YOu have to go with the flow. That is how Thais drive. I feel North-Americans especially see that line and stick to it. Go with the flow a little and you will be better off (and yes be a defensive driver, but don't drive 5 km/h either.)

That's my take. I hope I did not offend anyone. I certainly did not mean to.

Safe driving.

Personally.... I'm thinking that having developed Thai driving habits.... when / if I go "home" my driving license will be suspended pretty damn quick!

3 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Errr- because it could have been more than a sideswipe- just because it wasn't in THIS case doesn't mean it could not have been far worse. I had a guy swerve right in front of me this morning; you guessed it- he was playing with his phone. If I hadn't had space beside me he would have hit me. He was most indignant when I hit the horn though.

The guy over-reacted but if I had kids I would probably feel the same- too many ignorant drivers on the road.

'Could haves' or 'ifs' should never evoke a reaction like this. That is a very slippery slope to start going down.

Any number of us could have been killed today if we were in the wrong place at the wrong time - should we all be sitting quietly processing this near miss? One could go mad contemplating all the could haves and ifs that might have happened, but didn't. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Just a spot of road rage, and the instinct to protect his child, nothing wrong in that. He could however buy a bigger vehicle, no way I would drive here in anything smaller than my Vigo 4 by 4, and quite slowly at that. I don't know why so many posters are always 'falang this' and 'falang that' and/or 'farlang' what the hell is that? When was the last time you heard a Chinese person living in England or the States refer to themselves as a 'chink', or an Italian say, 'well, me and my wop friends...................'   

Italians in Australia took back the derogatory slur '&lt;deleted&gt;' decades ago, a growing number of Chinese people have started using 'chink' amongst their peers, and african americans took back their racial slur (almost always rendered as nigga) - in these instances the taken back terms become neutral in terms of their inherent meaning to the group that has taken them back; they may express positive, neutral or negative attitudes.

While some of us—especially those who understand the etymology of the word farang, and also understand who Thais even refer to themselves and each other in the third person—don't find its use offensive in the slightest, what is wrong with those who do find it offensive 'taking it back'?

Edited by jamesbrock
Damn autocorrect

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

Ya not wrong muka!

Lol.... it's all good

regardless of the first hand account from post 75, saying the guy was a personal friend and not a Brit.... they are blaming themselves again....

and thats how the the empire collapsed. ?????

2 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

First of all, we don't know this guy. As someone mentioned, how long has he been in LOS? I am amazed at how some people believe foreigners should flip a switch, erase x years of their cultures, and, experiencing incredible odd driving behaviour, expect foreigners, all people to know how to behave in Thailand. Thai people and expats living here should be a bit more forgiving. What about the Mai Pen Rai? True, shoving and shouting are not acceptable. I have noticed the same kind of expectations directed at anyone who comes to Thailand: Chinese visiting Thailand. Do Thai people magically expect all people from outside Thailand to be Thais, to behave like Thais? As we have seen, no culture is exempt from blowing fuses at times. In defense of Thai airport immigration, they do have some info on this as one enters the country, but I wish they had a website that would attempt to educate. Still, like I said, can we really expect all people to turn the switch off? Do people honestly believe all people on Earth should know what it is like to be behaving as Thais? In fairness, it might be a bit odd for Thais to face this, although the mini-cooper incident seems to invalidate this as well. Keep in mind that I find (and I am sure many would or do find) that looking at a stoic face, non-apologetic face can be destabilizing for some. Not saying that Thais, that all people, have been taught, know, or that this would have diffused the situation, but, when cultures clashes and ... crashes, sh*t happens! Clearly, we do not know the full story too. Was this a retaliation for an earlier mistake that the foreigner was indignant about: as in scooter chases car, after near miss, kick the car, or .... We don't know. No one has mentioned that he was traveling with 2 kids and a wife and that --in and of itself-- can be a recipe for losing a few neurons as well! We don;t know the full story! It is easy to jump to conclusion. As far as "assault" is concerned. Come on! Yes! Legally, as in US legally, extending a gaze towards someone could be construed as murder, especially if it is a woman, but, as others have mentioned, no blood, no injury! It is likely that the "recipient" will amplify things to exculpate himself. Still, as others have mentioned, it looks like this was not unprovoked. It looks like the other party messed up. But, we don;t know. Lastly, the cool and collected guys on this forum would never lose their cool, I know, but suppose you kill the scooter driver or both, as they both swerve into your car without warning. Still, cool and collected seeing the prospect of time spend in a jail for a few years become a reality? Imagine that the scooter drivers who were playing games on their smartphones service and as you start talking to them, continue playing! You would not lose it? Your wife is bloodied. You would not lose it? IN other words, you never, ever lose it? Come on! Are you human or are you so stoic, you could be labelled psychopathic? LOL As another poster mentioned, there is no information about when this took place. Could this be posted as a way to deflect or be a revenge for the critical words expressed to the HI-SO drivers of the mini (and all of thai people, by extension) a few days ago? This --in more that one way-- shows that owning one of those dash cams is crucial here. I would recommend spending the one with the rear view as well, for $2000. It works well. It is clear enough. This event could have happened outside of Thailand as well. Personally, I find that foreigners are ways too rigid when they drive here (I guess that comes with experience). YOu have to go with the flow. That is how Thais drive. I feel North-Americans especially see that line and stick to it. Go with the flow a little and you will be better off (and yes be a defensive driver, but don't drive 5 km/h either.)

That's my take. I hope I did not offend anyone. I certainly did not mean to.

Safe driving.

i think u have valid points, but what everyone should learn from this.. is u have way too much to lose in this situation to losue ur cool.. yea, ur kids, wife almost.. almost got hurt badly.. but him acting a fool like this,, would almost confirm that he is putting his family in harm.  I am sorry to say it, but yes, TIT.. you are 1 against 30.  he is lucky he did not get him and his family in danger.. yes, we all have fuse blowns but u have to realize what is the most prob outcome.. just my 2 cents.. yell, and get back in car.. and go.. no reason to puff out ur chest

Edited by bkkrooftop

2 hours ago, sabaii69 said:

Idiot doesn't know this is Thailand. Can you do this in Lon Don Jerkov?

Yep - if somebody endangered your kid with crap driving- they may well get a slap - or worse. There is a reason ' Road Rage' is an English phrase- it is however American in origin. Road rage is much more common in the US and UK than Thailand.

At the end of the day, this guy got carried away, saw the regret/fear in the young Thai guys eyes and decided to go full mental! Was his kid killed? No! Was his kid even injured? No! Total over reaction from a british &lt;deleted&gt; who feels entitled and superior because he is married to a hiso Thai lady. Seriously this guy is so lucky that he didn't get the shit kicked out of him by the bystanders!

25 minutes ago, midasthailand said:

At the end of the day, this guy got carried away, saw the regret/fear in the young Thai guys eyes and decided to go full mental! Was his kid killed? No! Was his kid even injured? No! Total over reaction from a british &lt;deleted&gt; who feels entitled and superior because he is married to a hiso Thai lady. Seriously this guy is so lucky that he didn't get the shit kicked out of him by the bystanders!

Where is it implied that he's married, or that his wife is hi-so?

Hi Guys, MY 2 CENTS----

let accept one fact.. 4/10 guys on the roads here dont even deserve a "L" plate. What with the constant mobiles clutched in one hand, shooting guys across the street with handguns from Vios.(Thai Visa news)., and bikies hitting your side mirrors at every opportunity, and last but not the least people cutting lanes as if they just weren't drunk but nearly drowned in a pool of Khao lao..so lets accept a spade for what it is..a spade.

Now if  this guy (forget if he's white, brown or any other shade of the rainbow British or who ever) is angry and its about his kid..its not a matter of being a Thai or a foreigner.. Think of it this way-if he is upset and these uni kids who were rash and reckless ( and one kid wai's to him-being here a long time I know which wai is for genuine reason)-means the uni kid accepts his driving as improper and not because the farang forced him..(.rest of the translation is actually bu***t)  but guys THINK--- it cld be your wife or son who could have been a victim of these drivers....so he is doing all of us a good turn by scolding these kids...being their father for a change..

so lets not get racist...(i had an encounter on Ratchadapisek road with a gang of teens in  a red plate Prius  ) Friday night while returning back from a meeting---- as if cutting my lane was not enough the girl sitting in the back seat pushed down her window and stuck out her middle finger-!! an we are to believe in the myth of decent and polite gentle beings abt to inherit the "world of 21st century".Needless to say i stopped their car and had a small chat which did seem to sober these slightly tipsy kids..!! be safe guys..god bless 

1 minute ago, Sirbergan said:

Where is it implied that he's married, or that his wife is hi-so?

It is not, but I saw her very calm on the phone, well dressed and with more sense than her husband, she put a calming hand on his arm. If she was from a bar she woud have been doing the ranting and pushing!

1 minute ago, midasthailand said:

It is not, but I saw her very calm on the phone, well dressed and with more sense than her husband, she put a calming hand on his arm. If she was from a bar she woud have been doing the ranting and pushing!

My wife is neither from a bar nor hi-so, but she would definitely have done more than his wife to stop me from being a complete a-hole.

4 minutes ago, sadinc said:

Hi Guys, MY 2 CENTS----

let accept one fact.. 4/10 guys on the roads here dont even deserve a "L" plate. What with the constant mobiles clutched in one hand, shooting guys across the street with handguns from Vios.(Thai Visa news)., and bikies hitting your side mirrors at every opportunity, and last but not the least people cutting lanes as if they just weren't drunk but nearly drowned in a pool of Khao lao..so lets accept a spade for what it is..a spade.

Now if  this guy (forget if he's white, brown or any other shade of the rainbow British or who ever) is angry and its about his kid..its not a matter of being a Thai or a foreigner.. Think of it this way-if he is upset and these uni kids who were rash and reckless ( and one kid wai's to him-being here a long time I know which wai is for genuine reason)-means the uni kid accepts his driving as improper and not because the farang forced him..(.rest of the translation is actually bu***t)  but guys THINK--- it cld be your wife or son who could have been a victim of these drivers....so he is doing all of us a good turn by scolding these kids...being their father for a change..

so lets not get racist...(i had an encounter on Ratchadapisek road with a gang of teens in  a red plate Prius  ) Friday night while returning back from a meeting---- as if cutting my lane was not enough the girl sitting in the back seat pushed down her window and stuck out her middle finger-!! an we are to believe in the myth of decent and polite gentle beings abt to inherit the "world of 21st century".Needless to say i stopped their car and had a small chat which did seem to sober these slightly tipsy kids..!! be safe guys..god bless 

i would say u if u did this same scenario a couple more times.. u would not have the same outcome.. my 2 cents

13 hours ago, webfact said:

'... one man reassuring the students in Thai language: "This is Thailand brother - you don't need to worry".'

'Kung Sirin was cross: "Leave Thailand you mean farang," he yelled.'

And they both presumably know the whole story? The way Thais drive, they cause issues time and again, and that's accidents (incidents) notwithstanding.

Some years ago, some moron (Thai) turned off of Sukhumvit into Soi 11 with no concern whatever for the toddler in the pushchair who was about to be pushed across from one side to the other He had his car slapped with a hand, and then had the gall to complain bitterly about his car being 'banged', and that he had right of way.

18 hours ago, elliss said:

Farlangs  ,     from the Western   Civilised    World .  ??

Don't be so <deleted> arrogant. Yes, farang culture has it's dark side, but so does yours and everyone else's. It's not a matter of civilized or uncivilized.  Human beings get upset and lose their tempers and it's part of human nature. It's hard wired into the DNA and the amygdala deep inside the brai. There was no harm done, no crime committed. The farang had a legitimate concern of the safety of his child. He was responding in an emotional state being protective of his child. That would make anyone upset. I suspect that the Thai driver was careless and perhaps even reckless, fully culpable for the situation, so there is plenty of culpability to go around. And I have seen more stories of Thai men committing violence, taxi drivers committing crimes including road rage etc., more stories of Thai violent actions than farang. Right here in Thai visa. You know it. So point the finger at yourself as well, because it's a sure thing that you have lost your temper at someone in the course of your own life, don't be a hypocrite

He probably forgot to take his medication that day.

Never lose your temper in Thailand , he was lucky to walk away from it , trying to beat up a Thai is not the brightest idea if you want to live. 

depends on a guys grey cells to use the right combination or brawn or brains i guess...and of course with those millions invested in CC cameras....how many do get fines in the mail box...hardly anyone...so..obviously the near world record of largest fatalities for those 7 dangerous days  ..in Dec and those wet days on Sonkarn!! 

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

No he`s not, he`s from England. I am an Englishman myself and came to Thailand to get away from those types, but it seems they are following me here.

I doubt he was an Englishman - his accent was more Australian than anything else. Don't be too hard on your country - England doesn't have a monopoly on these types.

2 hours ago, farcanell said:

Personally.... I'm thinking that having developed Thai driving habits.... when / if I go "home" my driving license will be suspended pretty damn quick!

Do you think it's possible to drive in Thailand for a long time and not develop some Thai driving habits?

I remember driving a car in NZ several years ago with my brother as the passenger. He was scared on more than one occasion LOL.

5 hours ago, Travel2003 said:

Rubbish statement!

Several locals do not automatically become a mob because of one stupid, or angry, or idiot foreigner.

You must be new here.

How else to explain such an ignorant and uninformed comment?

9 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Errr- because it could have been more than a sideswipe- just because it wasn't in THIS case doesn't mean it could not have been far worse. I had a guy swerve right in front of me this morning; you guessed it- he was playing with his phone. If I hadn't had space beside me he would have hit me. He was most indignant when I hit the horn though.

The guy over-reacted but if I had kids I would probably feel the same- too many ignorant drivers on the road.

If you were that concerned about your kids - so as to fly into a blind rage over a minor scrape, you'd think you'd be too paranoid to take your kids anywhere. You'd have to lock them up in a padded cell.

Surely this mad father knows how Thais drive or did he just arrive yesterday? IMO he was angry and used his children as an excuse to mouth off. He would have flown off the handle even if he was alone.