Massive fish deaths found in Samut Songkhram

webfact

Massive fish deaths found in Samut Songkhram

SAMUT SONGKHRAM, 8 November 2016 (NNT) - Mass fish deaths have occurred in the rivers of Samut Songkhram province. Authorities are working to test and improve water quality in the river, but have not yet determined the cause. 

According to local news, fish were found dead after water levels receded in Yai Pang subdistrict. Local authorities and residents have worked together to install a water aerator in the river to increase the amount of dissolved oxygen, on the assumption that low oxygen levels led to the mass fish deaths. 

Uthai Singtohthong of the Provincial Office of the Fisheries Department has advised fish farmers to examine water quality in their aquacultures to ensure their fish are healthy, or wait on an inspection by fisheries officers. 

The official said it was likely that the fish deaths were the result of ocean tides changing the salinity of the river. A working theory is that higher water levels in the river during high tide caused the embankments to be inundated, resulting in the deaths of waterlogged plants and the deterioration of soil quality. The soil was then swept further into the river with the high tide, contaminating freshwater habitats and killing aquatic life.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-11-08

17 hours ago, MaxLee said:

I think another Big Giant influential company just dumped away their toxic trash into the water..... wanna bet?

17 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

The massive fish were found a few weeks ago, the giant rays. Now there has been a mass killing of more fish. as the poster above said, more likely some local industry that cannot and will not be named and blamed.

Do you guys live in the area? Are you knowledgeable of any chemical plants upstream of the area where these water based animals lived (and died)? Yes, okay point well taken.

No. Shut your traps and quit bashing the Thais and industry. You're opinion only stinks up the place.

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Do you guys live in the area? Are you knowledgeable of any chemical plants upstream of the area where these water based animals lived (and died)? Yes, okay point well taken.

No. Shut your traps and quit bashing the Thais and industry. You're opinion only stinks up the place.

"No. Shut your traps and quit bashing the Thais and industry. You're opinion only stinks up the place."

Hi, since we received such a polite response from you, I feel obliged to reply.

You refer to chemical plants. I am aware that there are no actual chemical plants in the area, but a large agricultural operation, pigs, chickens, sugar cane etc, discharging effluent into the waterway either deliberately or by accident would possibly  be enough to have this effect on river water quality. 

6 hours ago, Pikeybkk said:

I fish the Mae Khlong river upstream in Ratchaburi and there has been a lot of surface scum of recent which i believe is pollution associated. Such a pity as it is a beautiful river.

There is a lot of surface scum driving around Bangkok causing grief also

6 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"No. Shut your traps and quit bashing the Thais and industry. You're opinion only stinks up the place."

Hi, since we received such a polite response from you, I feel obliged to reply.

You refer to chemical plants. I am aware that there are no actual chemical plants in the area, but a large agricultural operation, pigs, chickens, sugar cane etc, discharging effluent into the waterway either deliberately or by accident would possibly  be enough to have this effect on river water quality. 

have patience with him, he's American