How to delete quotes we no longer want to submit

tropo

If we click on a post to quote a reply and decide not to use the quote, how do we delete the quote? It sticks in the reply box and cannot be deleted even if we log out and log in again. It stays there forever. The only way I've found to get rid of it is to delete what's in the quote and then go ahead and submit it, then start again with a new quote. I've had to do this many times over the past several months.

I really miss the old forum.

8 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Doesn't happen to me. I'm using Firefox on Windows.

After deleting the text and closing the tab, the text doesn't reappear when writing another post.

That's narrowed it down to an issue with Chrome then (I'm using Windows 10). I tried it with IE 11 and I could also delete a quote and start again.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

That's narrowed it down to an issue with Chrome then (I'm using Windows 10). I tried it with IE 11 and I could also delete a quote and start again.

Hmm, I just ran Chrome and didn't get the problem! I started a reply, clicked on the back arrow (my Chrome is not set up to always start a new tab), and then quoted your post again. The text I previously entered was there.

So then I deleted my text and your quoted post and clicked the back arrow again. When I then clicked the quote button again, my previous text and your quoted post were not present.

I'm a Luddite still using Windows XP.  smile.gif

24 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Hmm, I just ran Chrome and didn't get the problem! I started a reply, clicked on the back arrow (my Chrome is not set up to always start a new tab), and then quoted your post again. The text I previously entered was there.

So then I deleted my text and your quoted post and clicked the back arrow again. When I then clicked the quote button again, my previous text and your quoted post were not present.

I'm a Luddite still using Windows XP.  smile.gif

Now it worked, most other times it doesn't. Talk about weird. I just had another problem where I couldn't type after a quote. When I added the quote the cursor appeared within the quote box and couldn't be moved to the outside of the quote box.

I'm running the latest update of Chrome with the latest updates of Windows 10 Pro.

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

There is a secret to it.  Hold Ctrl key and right click bottom right corner of the quote - you get an option to delete.

Not exactly user friendly!

Thanks for the secret. It's good enough to solve my problems in Chrome.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2016 at 10:31 AM, farmerjo said:

Is that where it comes up with 2 x paste options?

Just now, LivinLOS said:

Nope CTRL not working for me.. 

I log out and log back in the damn quote is still there.. 

CTRL where ?? Near the submit reply ??? Near Insert media ?? Or at the actual quote box (nothing there effected by ctrl or clicking).. 

So I DLed and used another browser last night.. Posted.. 

I come back this morning.. Open Chrome.. Log in.. And the damn post is still there in that thread only.. 

Seriously this new forum is horrible !! How does a power user see the BB code or make manual code edits ?? Its all 'done for you' but lost any sense of control or fixing when its done wrong. 

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

You hold Ctrl down (and keep holding down until done) and right click inside quote and left click from menu

Paste

Paste without formatting

Remove Quote but keep contents

Remove Quote

Thanks.. Will give that a try.. I was doing this but clicking bottom corners of everything as above. 

Once I clear it does not return.  Do you have the add-on to Chrome that allows it to hold memory by any chance?  Believe there is such a thing as previous version of forum software lost quotes when you tried to post even if post did not go through and people recommended an add-on.

Edit:  I just checked and I have that extension still active on my computer - so maybe it helps rather than hinders?  The extension is 

Lazarus: Form Recovery

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

OK I clear it.. Post.. all looks well.

Then every time I click the reply or quote button.. Its still in there again.. Needing to be cleared.. 

Have you ever had a bug like this? - You can't type a message outside the quote box and the message continues to show "loading". (In Chrome).

On 11/8/2016 at 6:26 PM, tropo said:

If we click on a post to quote a reply and decide not to use the quote, how do we delete the quote? It sticks in the reply box and cannot be deleted even if we log out and log in again. It stays there forever. The only way I've found to get rid of it is to delete what's in the quote and then go ahead and submit it, then start again with a new quote. I've had to do this many times over the past several months.

I really miss the old forum.

Mouse over the top-left corner of the quote you are responding to and want to delete, left-click on the cross that comes up with the 'Click and drag to move' prompt. The box around the unwanted quote turns blue. Hit delete or backspace. The quote is gone. Use simple delete to remove your unwanted comment.

Works in Chrome and Firefox

29 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Mouse over the top-left corner of the quote you are responding to and want to delete, left-click on the cross that comes up with the 'Click and drag to move' prompt. The box around the unwanted quote turns blue. Hit delete or backspace. The quote is gone. Use simple delete to remove your unwanted comment.

Not on my Chrome - get the normal open image in new tab menu.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It doesn't work like that on my Chrome (Windows 10 Pro all updates applied and up to date Chrome).

You have to hold the control key and right click those arrows or anywhere inside the quote box to get a dialogue box with the option to remove the quote.

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Not on my Chrome - get the normal open image in new tab menu.

You are LEFT-clicking on the cross-cursor? Right-click opens the Windows dialog box.

2 hours ago, tropo said:

It doesn't work like that on my Chrome (Windows 10 Pro all updates applied and up to date Chrome).

You have to hold the control key and right click those arrows or anywhere inside the quote box to get a dialogue box with the option to remove the quote.

Just tried it on another couple of machines so that's three Windows 7 machines (one 32-bit and the other couple are 64-bit) with all updates and all running the latest Firefox and Chrome. 

Just tried your Ctr + right click and do see the option you use. Maybe it's just another reason I'll resist the Win10 experience.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You are LEFT-clicking on the cross-cursor? Right-click opens the Windows dialog box.

Just tried it on another couple of machines so that's three Windows 7 machines (one 32-bit and the other couple are 64-bit) with all updates and all running the latest Firefox and Chrome. 

Just tried your Ctr + right click and do see the option you use. Maybe it's just another reason I'll resist the Win10 experience.

Right click does nothing except remove the cross hair and replace

"Click and drag to move" to "enter your text, hold ctrl and right click for more options" - and if I try to enter text nothing appears.

10 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Right click does nothing except remove the cross hair and replace

"Click and drag to move" to "enter your text, hold ctrl and right click for more options" - and if I try to enter text nothing appears.

If you are using Win10, I cannot comment or advise but if you are using Win7, all I can say that like many things in Thailand, your experience may vary. The only other thing I am running on all my browsers is a very, very good open-source extension that has been named one of the 100 best innovations of the year by Popular Science and one of the 20 best Chrome extensions by Lifehacker. It lets you visualize and block the otherwise invisible websites that track your search and browsing history. Pages load 27% faster and stops tracking by 2,000+ third-party sites. And I don't get annoying and distracting embedded adverts either.

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I've upgraded 4 Windows 7 machines to Windows 10, and have spent many sleepless nights sorting out problems. A couple of my machines were in need of a clean re-install, so I took up the free upgrade offer as an option to see how they ran. The Anniversary update caused the most drama.

If your Windows 7 machines are going well, I'd recommend leaving them alone.

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If you are using Win10, I cannot comment or advise but if you are using Win7, all I can say that like many things in Thailand, your experience may vary. The only other thing I am running on all my browsers is a very, very good open-source extension that has been named one of the 100 best innovations of the year by Popular Science and one of the 20 best Chrome extensions by Lifehacker. It lets you visualize and block the otherwise invisible websites that track your search and browsing history. Pages load 27% faster and stops tracking by 2,000+ third-party sites. And I don't get annoying and distracting embedded adverts either.

What is the name of this extension?

Archived