Yamaha Tricity. 155 cc Thai release?

watcharacters

I realize the popularity of this bike is  about  equal to that of as getting chicken pox but one of the main complaints I've read  is it's under powered with a 125 cc engine.

Well that's  all changed but unfortunately for me it appears not to be the case in Thailand.      The 155 cc 2016 model of Tricity has been released for sale in  Europe  and  when we called the  Yamaha factory yesterday to ask about the release of it to the Thai market the fellow made it sound like it'll NEVER  happen.

Do you believe that to be the case?    

Heck,  when we were in the local  gigantic Yamaha dealers showroom yesterday the sales lady made it sound like there was no other than the 125  cc model period.     I'm afraid I   may have showed annoyance as I said to the Missus please explain to the lady that it may not be available to this dealership or in Thailand but please don't say it's not made.   It is made or all the videos I've watched about it and articles I've read  are fake.  

I realize product knowledge on the part of a sales person in Thailand  is often  limited but amazing  to me the  Yamaha saleslady didn't  at least  know about the 155's existence.    Yeah, outside of Thailand so it definitely doesn't exist..  LOL   Then she could have easily said it is made but  is not available/released  in Thailand. 

I was pleasantly surprised when she offered a test drive on their display bike  just as we were about to leave the place.     I took her up on it and was quite pleased with what I found to be a stable ride for an equilibrium challenged person, me, due to a brain injury.    I just hope the 155 is released soon in Thailand.

Do you think the 155 will be coming  to Thailand?   I hope so before I die at least.

Well the 125 model was a flop here and was pulled so why bother with the 155cc? Well okay you wrote that Yamaha dealership you visited had a 125cc so they are still around.

Bike/car sales ladies generally have very very little knowledge on the product they sell, try asking them for the HP! +90% chance they don't know, ha. They are just talking mini skirts, many could start in a go-go bar right away. Okay a very few of them knows what they are talking about but actually meting one in person is like winning the lottery, very unlikely. 

However I found this on-line: http://showmocyc.com/yamaha-tricity-155-abs/1005

+ this one: http://auto.sanook.com/53365/

Looks like the 155cc is much better than the 125cc was and for you, I hope you can get hold of one.

Good luck with your search, perhaps try contacting Yamaha Thailand head office, likely in Bangkok and see if they can help you. 

papa owned one for a while.

Very impressed at the performance of the heavy bike @ 125cc.

+105kph indicated and plenty acceleration around town even with ying pillion.

Extremely stable, gets my vote for safest ride.

But 155cc here seems doubtful, too bad.

Will sell well in Europe or ...

On 11/9/2016 at 4:47 PM, papa al said:

papa owned one for a while.

Very impressed at the performance of the heavy bike @ 125cc.

+105kph indicated and plenty acceleration around town even with ying pillion.

Extremely stable, gets my vote for safest ride.

But 155cc here seems doubtful, too bad.

Will sell well in Europe or ...

Thanks papa al,

would you mind sharing why you abandoned a ride you  found satisfactory or even "Very impressed"

On 11/10/2016 at 8:22 AM, Henryford said:

If they had released it with the 155cc engine in the first place it might have succeeded, now it's a dead duck in Thailand.

It was released as a new model in 2014 with a 125 cc engine.   

I guess you're saying future improvements can not overcome a design/marketing  error?

Had Yamaha wanted to put an  1100 cc engine on a bike with three wheels I suspect it could have been done.

Do you believe they could have done that?

On 11/10/2016 at 5:52 AM, sebastion said:

Just buy the 125cc and put a big bore kit on it. I saw a 170cc upgrade kit last time I was in Bangkok.

Thanks sebastion,

I honestly have zero interest in power per se.   I'd like a ride that works for me in terms of stability.

Just  prior to visiting the Yamaha dealer I looked at a used Tricity with low mileage/kilo  for sale for 60K THB.    While the bike looked fine, everything on  the bike was  at least 2+ years old.          I was conflicted about the idea of buying something that old when it was selling so close to the price of a new bike with new rubber, rings piston/belts  and etc.

I was hoping someone may have a hint of an idea about a 155 release as I know the factory would never hint about it since that's not the Thai way.

New phone call...    I didn't even think to have the Missus ask  directly of the factory when the release of the 2016 Tricity will be.    Maybe (doubtful)  they  will shed some light on that.   Or will  there  be 2016   as opposed to the 2015.

The local dealer said it would take a week  after ordering to get an ordered bike.

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Thanks papa al,

would you mind sharing why you abandoned a ride you  found satisfactory or even "Very impressed"

Not at all...

[To clarify, sold; did not abandon.]

Why:

1. Too heavy

2.  Profit motive

3.  hab several other rides

//You're welcome.

On 11/11/2016 at 10:17 PM, Namplik said:

Off course the new 155 Tricity will come to the dealers in Thailand, its actually manufactured here!

It might have come to some dealers already....

http://www.bikesales.com.au/editorial/news/2016/Yamaha-Tricity-155-56657 

Thanks Namplik for your post.

If I knew of a dealer selling the  155 Tricity in Thailand I'd order it and have it shipped to me.

I see  125 cc advertised  Tricities on Baht and sold but mostly they seem to be located on the lower part of Thailand.    I'd like to find one in Issan for a price reflective of the AGE and wear on the bike.  

I missed a bike with 5K km on the clock  @ 40K THB.

I'd buy new but it would disappoint me to pay for a new  125 cc and find a week later the 155  became available at the same or nearly the same price.

Who knows?  Since it hasn't taken off in Thailand maybe the powers that be will never release it for sale here.     It really is for a person wanting stability I think and not a nimble young Thai person.

I honestly cant' see why I couldn't just go to the factory and buy one there.     License requirements and tax structure stuff?

• 2 months later...

I fail to understand all of the hype that the Tricity is underpowered at 125cc???

I regularly drive at 80 kmh on Sukomvit Road with no problems.  The combined weight including my pillion rider is over 160 kg so the bike is no slouch.  I won't win any races but that is not what the Tricity is about.  It is the safest most stable bike on the market.  I do not care if it is a wet or bumpy road or if there are railroad tracks.  The Tricity takes them all with no problems.  The Yamaha 125cc engine is great.  At the cost of less than 1 baht per mile in operation I am as happy as can be.  Maintenance is a breeze as well.  Once you get used to the heavier front end a Honda Click or Scoopy  feel like a flimsy toys.

That said, I would be happy to test ride a 155cc just to see the differences.

Don't get mad it is just my opinion!!:smile:

Archived