Minister Slams Chinese Road Builder’s Work

geovalin

Public Works and Transport Minister Sun Chanthol once again castigated a Chinese construction company, as well as a consulting firm it had hired, over poor quality road works after it was tasked with improving National Road 5. In a video posted on the ministry’s Facebook page, Mr. Chantol was seen yelling at two men, one from the construction company and the other from the consulting firm, for constructing low-quality roads which had loose asphalt and potholes only months after its refurbishment.

The same construction company was also responsible for a section of shoddy renovation on National Road 6, which the minister reprimanded them for last week. “Zero! Zero! Zero! Because you have been checking [road quality] since 2004, but you don’t have the technical equipment to check it properly,” he yelled angrily at the consulting company representative, while repeatedly showing the thumbs-down gesture at the pair.

He added that due to the sub-par work done by the construction company, he had started losing faith in the firm and alluded to possibly replacing them. “It’s not me, but Cambodian people who will evaluate and see that the roads constructed by Chinese companies are not good, so it will ruin the Chinese companies’ reputations and affect the Transport Ministry as well,” he said.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/31891/minister-slams-chinese-road-builder---s-work/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 10/11

i was on the express way past the airport the other day ,a ferociously bumpy ride, the pavements and roads in my area are shockingly constructed; lose paving slabs, cracked paving slabs, uneven paving slabs, cracked concrete and prone to flooding as there is no slope towards drains. how hard can it be?

Most of the raod construcitons are very badly done and after a short while the road is bumpy or has big holes already!

As the method is a wrong one, nobody really cares about it as a lot of money goes to many pockets!!!!!!!!! and that's the worst thing.

And those from the government who should monitoring the work have no idea about road construction work and love to have filled up their pockets with money instead of checking a proper work!

In Thailand, many of  the roads built within the past two years around Hua Hin are breaking up and now already have large repaired sections and a substantial number of deep potholes, causing a bumpy and sometimes dangerous ride on what initially looked like a wonderful job. The repaired sections, in some cases more than 100 metres long now have no road markings, whereas the original ones looked impressive.  Putting a thin layer of tarmac on compacted soil will never work as it all disintegrates after the first heavy rainfall.  Nobody seems to learn from past mistakes and the same construction methods are still being used now on further extensions of the same road leading to Cha-am. 

On 11/10/2016 at 7:34 AM, geovalin said:

Mr. Chantol was seen yelling at two men, one from the construction company and the other from the consulting firm, for constructing low-quality roads which had loose asphalt and potholes only months after its refurbishment.

I know that this was in Cambodia but I have a section of road out in front of my Condo here I would like to show him that would put his problem to shame. The thin skin of concrete is worn off and rough stone and wire are showing.  

On 11/11/2016 at 10:23 AM, soalbundy said:

They were using locals to do the work right?

Actually all the Chinese construction companies in Cambodia  -- of which there are a lot -- seem to use imported Chinese laborers, all the way down to even the ones doing the most unskilled manual labor tasks. Usually not a single Khmer employed on the site, and there are whole apartment blocks tented out for Chinese firms to house their workers.

It is causing quite a lot of resentment with the local people.

In terms of quality of work,  a factor is often the large kick-backs they have to pay to government officials to get the contracts. That money has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is their construction budget, and since they had to submit a budget low enough to be competitive, the result is they do not have enough money left to do things as they should, so the result is corners cit and use of substandard material.