I need help explaining why Americans are burning the flag

kingstonkid

GF understand that people do not like Trump.  What she is unable to fathom is how being upset with Trump gives them the right to Burn the flag and desecrate it.  March in the streets and loot.

She understands the protest part it is the defamation of the flag and the country that I can not explain to her.

Please no trite about it is their right.

That is a given and I have explained that. She does not understand why burning the flag is protesting TRUMP

Burning the flag is not a protest against Trump. It is a sign of immaturity and ignorance. People who never learned to be gracious losers and understand that you cannot have it your way every time, in fact, very often what you thing is the right way leads to disaster. I am no fan of Mr. Trump but one has to admit he won a fair election (in spite of his own claims of it being rigged). Flag burners are ignorant and actually demonstrates cowardice. if they were truly to protest an America they don't want, they can indeed do the brave thing and relinquish their citizenship.

I would say that many people are very upset about the trump victory. Feelings of grief, shock, fear, and anger. I would say that many of those people that are upset feel that trump represents going back in time to the OPPOSITE of American greatness -- instead going towards hatred, bigotry, xenophobia, misogyny, Islamophobia, antisemitism, racism against blacks and Latinos, and general racism against anyone that isn't white, straight, and male. 

I would say many Americans are now feeling deeply EMBARRASSED that this has happened to their country. That this is a massively historic tragic event, a huge step BACKWARDS, not at all just another "normal" election loss.

I would say that that is only a tiny percentage of people that burn flags so it is news when that happens but not to assume it happens very much. Also, under the constitution of the USA, burning is covered as a form of FREE SPEECH and thus is legally protected, and that many Americans VALUE that level of FREEDOM even when it is very offensive to so many.

Edited by Jingthing

I totally agree with tonray.

People who burn the flag are idiots and ignorant people. Why they do it only they know. Why would want one destroy their own nations flag. If they dislike the election results then in 4 years vote again and see what happens.. 

What are the burners saying ?That. they hate Trump or they hate America. Either way their expression of free speech is blurry. If they wish to express free speech this way try and be articulate with it.or it is just seen as hooligans on the lose again in America.

And these low life's want to come to Canada. I would not welcome them to my neighbourhood.

A lot of Americans need to grow up and see what they really have and stop complaining and get to work.Trump will make this happen and will make the US great again as he says.And all these protesters will take whatever Trump gets for them in improved life style,wages etc. Bunch of free loader loser low life's.that do not know how to use their freedoms in a positive way.

As mania says those burning the flag are not American.A real American would never do such that.

Tell her that the vast majority of the Americans that legitimately hate the trump movement do not burn flags and do not approve of burning flags BUT that most patriotic Americans that love FREEDOM agree that burning the flag should be legal just as any FREE SPEECH.

This is DIFFERENT than Thai culture and many other cultures.

It's OK to be different

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

most patriotic Americans that love FREEDOM agree that burning the flag should be legal just as any FREE SPEECH.

This is DIFFERENT than Thai culture and many other cultures.

It's OK to be different

Yeah this from the guy who has public melt downs when Thai kids impersonate Hitler or think a swastika is fashion.......I guess his "ok to be different" is limited

maybe better to open it all the way JT

What she is unable to fathom is how being upset with Trump gives them the right to Burn the flag and desecrate it. March in the streets and loot.

If I'm reading it right and you condone it, then I think your gf is the smart one and you need your head read. These people protesting are nothing but hypocritical crybabies that need to get off the streets and working to get someone else in in four years if they are not happy. That is the way it is done. What they are doing is essentially protesting against democracy (because they didn't get their way), which totally goes against the tenets of the US. The world would be better off without that type. Round them up and put them away.

Regards Thais and their flag, they can be a bit touchy and hypocritical. Example; a student might not think twice about wearing a pair of shorts with the flag of another country imprinted on them and sit on it, but would say it is disrespectful to have the Thai flag on there. They're a bit funny like that.

Tell her it's the democrats fault, the protesters own fault. 

They tried to shaft even one of their own candidates, sanders, and corruptly wanted the system to keep playing things their way, Hillary's way. Trump shafted them and I am not a Trumpite but accede to his role in the play. 

Bernie was the only "credible"/ integral person in the entire nomination process from either side [political persuasions aside] and the democrats conspired to screw him and themselves ultimately with zero gravitas for consequence. Bernie would have taken those rust belt states and beaten Trump.  

Explain irony to her then show her flag burners, Hillary and play the sound track to the West Wing in the background for added effect. Trump is the answer the flag burner's party delivered.