rhode island red

saluandnai

Bantam are nice and very friendly, mine are housebroken. I also have junglefowl which are quite interesting to go along with my Thai, Chinese and Burmese gai ban. I had Rhode Island Reds but find the local breeds seem to do better. Can't help where to find any, maybe Sapatong Saturday market or order thru your animal food store. 

thanks for the reply, the guy I bought the reds from had a white one and something similar size but black with white speckles , but he wouldn't sell to me as he wanted to breed from them, its just a hobby with the benefit of a few eggs really, I like the look of bantams but understand they have small eggs

22 hours ago, saluandnai said:

thanks for the reply, the guy I bought the reds from had a white one and something similar size but black with white speckles , but he wouldn't sell to me as he wanted to breed from them, its just a hobby with the benefit of a few eggs really, I like the look of bantams but understand they have small eggs

They are small birds so I'd assume so as mine aren't of egg bearing age yet.

But big isn't always better, my quail produce excellent eating eggs.

My favorite for eggs are ducks, a bit more skittish and smelly then chickens, but I use my duck eggs for baking with excellent results.

How about geese, they have delicious large eggs.

Or if you don't want to put up with the aggressive nature of geese how about a turkey? 

My wife thinks ours is ugly but it reminds me of home and in the spirit of the recent US elections I'll pardon him next week for Thanksgiving.  

• 1 year later...

It is an old topic, however I pull it up again.

I would like to have some Rhode Island Red for eggs, anybody has a contact or address where I could get some? 

The plan is to make a fence around 12x4 m and put a small hut in it where they have shelter, that should be enough place for 4 chicken.