Warning When Paying With A 1000 THB Bill

Kabula

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/12/2016 at 5:22 PM, electric said:

I'm sure that some places often try their luck by shortchanging foreigners, particularly in touristy areas. It's too free and easy for a waitress or cashier, when caught out, to simply say "oh ..... very sorry. I make mistake."

But I guess Thailand is not Robinson Crusoe in that regard.

I change my 1000 baht notes when buying something trivial at 7/11 or BigC or Makro. The cashiers always make a big deal of holding the change up to the CCTVs and counting it several times before handing it to me. So I'll then do the same routine. Stand there for 15 seconds and count the change openly and carefully before physically moving away from the checkout.

7/11 stores rarely have enough change in the till for a 1000 baht note. Needs the Manager with his magic key.

What?  Some 7/11's daily turnover would be over 100,000 baht. Of course they always have change. They usually get change from each others tills and not a manage with a magic key!

See a lot of paranoia here ..... writing on notes? (surprised they still accept them!). 6 years, and never been short changed more than 20 baht and a very rare occurrence. They did once try on the not giving me the right amount of petrol but refund instantly appeared when questioned. Have had to give back over payments of change a few times. Of course, i live in Isaan. Have also had staff run after me to give me change i forgot a few times, or the shopping i left behind .... and the tap on the shoulder for the 100 baht i dropped. Guess Bangkok and the resorts are getting greedy.

(1) You likely live in a tourist trap area, what i call the tourist slums. (2) You likely speak little or no Thai. That is just asking for trouble in a tourist slum. (3) NEVER return to any business that either tries to over charge you , does not give the correct change, treats you rudely or whatever NEVER. (4) When you hand them any large bill i always speak Thai and tell them what size bill i am handing them. The only time i have been ripped off at a bank on Koh Samui years ago when  i spoke very little Thai and learned very quickly to learn Thai and forever avoid areas where there are large numbers of foreigners. Never had a problem since. P.S. If you dress like a slob your just asking for trouble. Typical foreigner in Thailand lives in a bubble. Has no idea what is going on around him.

u.jpg

5 hours ago, rickudon said:

See a lot of paranoia here ..... writing on notes? (surprised they still accept them!). 6 years, and never been short changed more than 20 baht and a very rare occurrence. They did once try on the not giving me the right amount of petrol but refund instantly appeared when questioned. Have had to give back over payments of change a few times. Of course, i live in Isaan. Have also had staff run after me to give me change i forgot a few times, or the shopping i left behind .... and the tap on the shoulder for the 100 baht i dropped. Guess Bangkok and the resorts are getting greedy.

Agree with you. The tourists areas your just asking for trouble.

On 13/11/2016 at 1:44 AM, tropo said:

As I said, I live in Pattaya and DON'T have these problems.

OK, my apologies 

Then the question remains though. Where on earth do people who have these problems live? Or what is the reason that some people have this problem and others never do?

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2559 at 7:46 AM, Laza 45 said:

Absolutely... and avoid the tourist traps..

Did,nt you know that most foreigners believe the Thais are nothing more than monkeys. A hole to poke, a slave to treat like trash. I won,t mention certain countries here but you know who you are.

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2559 at 11:11 AM, Thaiwrath said:

It's no wonder that quite a few Thais do not like farangs, with the attitude of some of the posters on this thread, (mostly jumping on the bandwagon).

I have never been short changed, but any other problem I have had, I have used a bit of diplomacy, not aggression.

Have you ever noticed how MOST foreigners treat the Thais? I am ashamed to be anywhere near them. Love the constant scowls of certain nationalities that would scare off King Kong. If you hate the Thais so much please leave. To many obnoxious foreigners here already both men and women tourists and expats.

old-man-730x410.jpg

5 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

OK, my apologies 

Then the question remains though. Where on earth do people who have these problems live? Or what is the reason that some people have this problem and others never do?

I have no idea. Until I read about it here I had no idea this was a problem. I've tendered 1000 baht notes on a daily basis all over Pattaya for 11 years without a single incident, so I'm as surprised as you.