Warning When Paying With A 1000 THB Bill

Kabula

I've lived in Thailand for going on 11 years.

During all those years until recently I can't remember a time I didn't get the proper change back when paying with a 1000 THB bill.  

I started getting short changed in restaurants about 3 months ago.  Twice, I trusted the waitresses and realized they both shorted me 500 THB when I paid with a 1000 THB bill shortly after leaving the restaurants. My mistake by not paying attention.  Two weeks later, another restaurant waitress shorted me 500 THB again using a 1000 THB bill and I called her on it.  She started to fight with me and I told her, 'remember when I handed the bill to you I said out loud this is 1000 THB.?' A diner next to me confirmed hearing me say that so I got my change.

In the last 20 days this has happened to me 5 more times!  I caught each one.

I even got short changed a few days ago at the 7/11 with a 500 THB bill.  However, I felt that was an honest mistake.

My small bills go quickly and on larger purchases I needed to pull out a larger bill.

I now write my initials and date in small print with a pencil on each 1000 THB bill before handing it out.  This way I can go to the person operating the register and demand to see all 1000 THB notes to check for my note that was handed to the waitress in a change dispute.

I do threaten to call the Police to file a theft report if they do not cooperate.

Yesterday, after getting a hair cut I was shorted by 500 THB again, with a 1000 THB bill, but was able to get my proper change.  That incident and others prompted me to issue this warning.

I now try to pay with the exact amount.

Be aware when getting your change now.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They obviously think you look sillier than the average farang.

With i get change from 1000 they usually only try to slip out a sneaky 100 .

For 500 baht change it is usually 50 or forget a 20

man you are getting overshafted on the shafting.lol

Been in Thailand over 8  years...live in Bangkok.   Only one time have I been shorted a 100 baht note when paying with a 1000 baht note and that was at a McDonald's drive-through.   The person at the window handled me the change, then she immediately left the window.  I always "glance/count" the change I get....immediately spotted I was shorted 100 baht.  The Thai wife was with me and noted the situation.   It took a good minute of getting someone to come back to the pay window and when a person came it was another employee.  Explained the situation....about 2 minutes later they gave me back another 100 baht.

And one time I was shorted 50 baht at McDonalds when ordering/paying on the inside.  And once again the Thai wife is with me to see the short-changing and once again the person taking the order and giving the change disappeared immediately in instead of completing the order herself.  This time we had to get the manager involved who fixed things.    

So, if at McDonalds and the person who takes your order or payment then immediately leaves from your sight then you might want to check your change again....maybe the reason for them leaving Triple ASAP is hopefully to avoid a discussion on incorrect change.

The 1000 baht bill scam is not rare in Pattaya. I wouldn't say it's super common either, but it's worth being on guard. 

The way I deal with it is to call out the bill at places that are new to me, especially more tourist trap kinds of places, but if I'm known in a place especially if I know the waiter, I don't.  

I don't think it's really necessary to call out at places like 7-11. Those hard workers are underappreciated. 

Yesterday I purchased some ciggies and some drinks at my local mom and pop shop. Total was 280 Baht. I gave a thousand and always being a bit wary, I checked the change. And what do you think? 

Yep, received the wrong amount in change, 820 Baht to be exact. I handed the shop owner back 100 Baht and was given a friendly smile. 

Edited by Gulfsailor

Can't recall ever be short-changed and I usually check for a 5 hundred baht bill if the change should be over Baht 500 in total. I have twice in the past few months received too much change from a local Family Mart (and yes I did return the extra since I assume cash register shortages come out of their pay). I suspect the same people who are thus victimized are considered easy targets in or out of Thailand. Admittedly if I do eat in a restaurant with someone, in most cases, if Baht 1000 was enough to cover the tab, there wouldn't be much change, if any, left to count.

1 minute ago, JHolmesJr said:

I try never to carry 1000 bht bills for the same reasons…money changers mostly oblige when i ask for 500b bills only.

The only time i expect no change back is when I peel one off to pay for the night's entertainment on the morning after.

With a name like that, I'm surprised she doesn't pay you!

Never happened to me either and I always check however I usually always have plenty of 100 and 20 baht notes so I usually always pay close to exact amount. In stores and all other places I use my KTB CC so I can itemize all costs and assess my monthly spends.

I suspect these events happen in foreigner target rich areas.  

This is my gf's job ... she has taken it on herself to carefully check all restaurant/grocery bills and count the change when it comes back. Guess it gives her a feeling of contributing, given that the money is usually coming from my wallet :smile:

52 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The 1000 baht bill scam is not rare in Pattaya. I wouldn't say it's super common either, but it's worth being on guard. 

The way I deal with it is to call out the bill at places that are new to me, especially more tourist trap kinds of places, but if I'm known in a place especially if I know the waiter, I don't.  

I don't think it's really necessary to call out at places like 7-11. Those hard workers are underappreciated. 

7-11 staff are trained to tell the customer what bill they have received the moment you give it to them, probably to avoid situations like this.

(I didn't think you'd be a Trump supporter JT)

I always use 7-11 stores or other shopping center stores to exchange 1'000 baht notes. Because on the street they really not like to give change for a 1'000 baht note.

But Never happened, that they exchange was wrong.. But maybe I also not stay in a Tourist area like Pattaya or Sukhumvit.

But anyway, that this happened that often to the OP sounds strange to me... not that I not belive.. but why we not hear more often stories like that? Maybe he was very unlucky

Edited by HampiK

7 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Never happened to me either and I always check however I usually always have plenty of 100 and 20 baht notes so I usually always pay close to exact amount. In stores and all other places I use my KTB CC so I can itemize all costs and assess my monthly spends.

I suspect these events happen in foreigner target rich areas.  

Almost 6 years in Thailand and can hardly remember such events.

Maybe here or there some 1x Baht in the error.

Two times I started complaining until realizing that I was at error.

At least two times got too much change and returned it.

Worst I had was not short-changing but bill padding in Pattaya.

I was sober enough to count to three (small ones) with having four on the bill.

Took 10 min of heated argument until one waitress came up to my defense.

And yes, I also to keep a stack of small notes and even coins trying to round up the change.

At the pump I got used NOT to "fill up" but estimate what I need and ask for a multiple of 100 Baht. But for another reason: they often fill up ridiculously until spilling.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Agree. Except those at 711 who are appreciated. Gotta watch that bunch closely. 

37 minutes ago, geronimo said:

7-11 staff are trained to tell the customer what bill they have received the moment you give it to them, probably to avoid situations like this.

(I didn't think you'd be a Trump supporter JT)

That's news to me. I'm a big spender in many different 7Eleven stores around town (Pattaya) and not one staff member has ever mentioned anything when I've passed over a 1000 baht note. I don't think speaking English is a requirement of their job.

Where are you?

In the Philippines, all restaurant staff say "I received 1000, or 500" when you pay a bill - that's a good idea and prevents conflict.

Edited by tropo

In the last 20 days this has happened to me 5 more times!  I caught each one.

That's reason enough for the Guinness book of World records. Is there something carved into your forehead? It never happened to me in 15 years. 

38 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Almost 6 years in Thailand and can hardly remember such events.

Maybe here or there some 1x Baht in the error.

Two times I started complaining until realizing that I was at error.

At least two times got too much change and returned it.

Worst I had was not short-changing but bill padding in Pattaya.

I was sober enough to count to three (small ones) with having four on the bill.

Took 10 min of heated argument until one waitress came up to my defense.

And yes, I also to keep a stack of small notes and even coins trying to round up the change.

At the pump I got used NOT to "fill up" but estimate what I need and ask for a multiple of 100 Baht. But for another reason: they often fill up ridiculously until spilling.

It's still good info from the OP.  Like any tourist location any where in the world foreigners are easy targets.  I did not see where the OP said his scams were happening..

As for gas fill ups  etc  using the CC allows me to build up points which my wife converts later. plus I get free drinks at Inthanine coffee houses..Look at the bottom of the receipt most don't and just toss it out.

What is really interesting on this topic is I don't get short changed I speak thai and for some reason once I started speaking Thai no one was fool enough

to start up with me Expect one time at at food fair

This guy tried to short change me on a 1000 baht bill claiming it was a 100 baht bill I said Ok in Thai we will let the police solve this

He them gave me the change back

You have to be real clear  it is a 1000 baht note