Warning When Paying With A 1000 THB Bill

Kabula

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The 1000 baht bill scam is not rare in Pattaya. I wouldn't say it's super common either, but it's worth being on guard. 

The way I deal with it is to call out the bill at places that are new to me, especially more tourist trap kinds of places, but if I'm known in a place especially if I know the waiter, I don't.  

I don't think it's really necessary to call out at places like 7-11. Those hard workers are underappreciated. 

Yes JT you are spot on about the 7-11s, there are two in my village, and I have never once had any problem in ten years.

About four years ago a Lotus Express opened up, the service in it is terrible, and not just short changing, I think the 7-11 workers

are very well trained, they are never a problem.

Edited by possum1931
Changed a word.

I had a place try this on at a famous (and bad) Pattaya restaurant recently. The place was totally empty but about six staff sitting around. The change came for 1000 and 500 was gone, and of course I complained. I got the 500 but the response from the cashier was weird ... like it usually works, weirdly fake and obviously I did it/so what/farang have big money apology. It's a place that sells a lot of booze. I really got the feeling that it happens all the time at that place, yet, welcome to Thailand, I can't mention it! 

Edited by Jingthing

I'm sure that some places often try their luck by shortchanging foreigners, particularly in touristy areas. It's too free and easy for a waitress or cashier, when caught out, to simply say "oh ..... very sorry. I make mistake."

But I guess Thailand is not Robinson Crusoe in that regard.

I change my 1000 baht notes when buying something trivial at 7/11 or BigC or Makro. The cashiers always make a big deal of holding the change up to the CCTVs and counting it several times before handing it to me. So I'll then do the same routine. Stand there for 15 seconds and count the change openly and carefully before physically moving away from the checkout.

7/11 stores rarely have enough change in the till for a 1000 baht note. Needs the Manager with his magic key.

41 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

In the last 20 days this has happened to me 5 more times!  I caught each one.

That's reason enough for the Guinness book of World records. Is there something carved into your forehead? It never happened to me in 15 years. 

funny that as I had an incident a while back at a popular bar on soi buchow when I was lied to which led me to tender about 50 baht more than I needed to, within a couple of weeks I was in a bar in pattaya Thai that was

part of the same group (BIB) and a lad had handed in over the amount of his bin, they would not give him his change until he made a fuss and I have since heard of others having problems with change in both these venues ? so maybe it is the places you go to as up till the other year I could say never happened to me in 16 years....and the only thing on my forehead is my quiff....

Here's a thought. If they're guilty of the scam you will usually get the change back if you call them out. But surely there are some incidents where the customer is actually mistaken. Somehow I doubt very many of them get undeserved refunds ... 

I'll even admit there are times when I'm feeling spaced out or distracted and not fully confident of what I gave (more at cashiers than restaurants). In those cases, I wouldn't complain. Better be sure you're right too. 

Edited by Jingthing

33 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes JT you are spot on about the 7-11s, there are two in my village, and I have never once had any problem in ten years.

About four years ago a Lotus Express opened up, the service in it is terrible, and not just short changing, I think the 7-11 workers

are very well trained, they are never a problem.

I never got cheated nor had any problems at 7-11s, but am wondering how you get the idea that 7-11 workers are very well trained. I know several people working at 7-11s and many more having worked there. Not much knowledge asked for (Mor 3 is enough), no experience needed. Normally starting with filling up the shelves and do backgroundwork, after short time and some instruction on the spot they are allowed to work as cashier (need a guarantor). No difference between franchises and company run branches.

That's funny, I can honestly say I never recall being short changed once in Thailand :-) Not to say that maybe those days have gone?

I remember thinking to myself after being short changed twice in Sainsburys in the UK, that never has that happened to me in Thailand :-)

Anyway, I will keep an eye out for it for the next upcoming trip. ( As you do in any country)

Come and live in Isaan.. I never have a problem with change... ..touch wood!   Several times over the years I have dropped money.. small amounts.. 20 or 100 Bt while shopping... I get a tap on the shoulder.. you dropped this...  love it here...

I don't know how many times I have confused my 1,000 notes with my 100 notes and handed over money without even noticing my error.......invariably the clerk immediately hands me back everything I gave her and indicates the error.  I get really tired of the constant chatter on this forum about Thais being dishonest, lazy, incompetent etc. Some people should take a look at themselves and rethink the way they interact with people they seem to feel are beneath them. The easiest thing in the world to do is put a pleasant look on your face and be nice to everyone you meet. the reward is always there if you are ready to receive it.

I did have something similar happen to me in a bar in Hua-Hin but that was about 11 years ago and I was new on the block and I too , like a comment above handed over a 1000B note in the dark thinking it was a 100.  But a garage along from me about 6 months ago said the meter on a petrol pump was not working so I got gassed up without being able to read the meter , and the attendant was reading the meter out of view. After driving off the fuel gauge should of read over half full for 500B ......it did not , a warning , get out the car , go and look. 

Never run into this issue in Phuket, Bangkok, or Sara Buri. I always know what I have given them because I keep 1000s in one pocket, and the rest in another. Never mix them up that way. Though I did mix a 50 with a 500 and they immediately pointed it out to me. I love the way Thais smile at me for no reason...friendly people.

As far as I know I've never been short-changed this way, but then again 1) I rarely check change and 2) I rarely frequent either restaurants or bars.

On the other hand a local family run 'supermarket' told me they'd over-charged me by 300 bht on a previous visit, and a restaurant owner (from whom I'd bought a bulk purchase of take-aways) saw me at Makros and came running after me to tell me that I'd been charged too much and paid me back x amount (can't remember the amount)!

Even so, I appreciate the warning and will make an effort to check change in the future.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The 1000 baht bill scam is not rare in Pattaya. I wouldn't say it's super common either, but it's worth being on guard. 

The way I deal with it is to call out the bill at places that are new to me, especially more tourist trap kinds of places, but if I'm known in a place especially if I know the waiter, I don't.  

I don't think it's really necessary to call out at places like 7-11. Those hard workers are underappreciated. 

It happened to me once in a rather well-known restaurant in Pattaya when the new 500 THB notes came out - gave 2000 for our 1200 baht meal, and got change for 1500. I know they were 1000 baht notes because I had just withdrawn them from the ATM right outside the restaurant.  No amount of discussion persuaded them to change their minds.

Pity for them - that was our first and last visit to that restaurant.

Now I put a couple of dots in one of the corners of 1000 baht notes before using them.

21 minutes ago, WaywardWind said:

It happened to me once in a rather well-known restaurant in Pattaya when the new 500 THB notes came out - gave 2000 for our 1200 baht meal, and got change for 1500. I know they were 1000 baht notes because I had just withdrawn them from the ATM right outside the restaurant.  No amount of discussion persuaded them to change their minds.

Pity for them - that was our first and last visit to that restaurant.

Now I put a couple of dots in one of the corners of 1000 baht notes before using them.

Funnily enough, many years ago a Western restaurant apparently undercharged our group of 4 three or four hundred bht - but recognised us when we went back a few days later and told us that we'd previously been under-charged so it would be added to our bill this time....

I've no idea whether they were right or wrong - but it was the last time we went to that (expensive) restaurant that we'd previously liked.

Opposite happened to me. Girl at the gas pumps gave me an extra 100 baht. I told her she was wrong and gave her the 100 baht back. She was delighted. OP's point is well taken though. Always check your change. Good post!

5 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

What is really interesting on this topic is I don't get short changed I speak thai and for some reason once I started speaking Thai no one was fool enough

to start up with me Expect one time at at food fair

This guy tried to short change me on a 1000 baht bill claiming it was a 100 baht bill I said Ok in Thai we will let the police solve this

He them gave me the change back

You have to be real clear  it is a 1000 baht note  

It doesn't matter if you speak Thai or not. I don't speak Thai and no one has ever tried that stunt on me. The OP is either extremely unlucky, or there's something about him that makes him seem like an easy target, or people in his area of Thailand are extremely bad at arithmetic. You'd think that Pattaya would be one of the worst places for these type of scams, but evidently it's not.

Happened to me twice , once in Bkk in a soi 11 Sukhumvit restaurant that I visited regularly but no more.

and again in Udon Thani in Holy of Holies Starbucks, don't go there again iether.

called the tourist police that time who colluded with the manager to deny me.

TIT