Warning When Paying With A 1000 THB Bill

Kabula

1 hour ago, gemguy said:

I have had the same woman at the same 7 /11 short change me 3 times now and caught her out each time while last time I raised my voice a little pointing out this was the 3rd time "YOU"...Yeah "YOU"...short changed me ...all the while I stared her in the eyes....with a Fxxk You Bixch.....I know what your up to and don't pull that "sorrly, sorrly" BS on me.

Now when I go to that 7 /11 I will not give HER my money rather the other employees while I give her the stare down if she is there at the till.

Same 7 /11 where I have told the girls there to keep the dog(s) away from the door entrance....but the same dogs are back again everyday...1 or 2 or 3 of them lying about, right in the middle of the door way and basically having to step over them or inconveniently maneuvering around them all the while being on guard and hoping they do not snap at you or bite you.

Stepping over dogs to enter 7Elevens is quite normal here and no amount of complaining will ever change that. Those dogs are pets to the staff members. If it became a choice between you or the dogs they'd choose the dogs LOL.

What the girl is pulling on you is a perfect scam. If you discover the error, she says sorry and hands back the missing change. If you don't, she scores. She has done nothing wrong unless she refuses to give you the missing change.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also never been short changed here in Pattaya and I been here a long time.

Always count the notes quickly when given change back, don't bother with the coins.

Yesterday on 2nd road at a 7/11 there was a Russian couple that was in a heated discussion with one of the cashiers about 9 baht, yes 9 baht. The cashier got angry and gave the young Russian man 9 baht. When I got change back from my cigarette purchase I gave her a 10 baht coin and she thanked me many times and she said Russian no good but you are nice. 

23 minutes ago, tropo said:

Stepping over dogs to enter 7Elevens is quite normal here and no amount of complaining will ever change that. Those dogs are pets to the staff members. If it became a choice between you or the dogs they'd choose the dogs LOL.

What the girl is pulling on you is a perfect scam. If you discover the error, she says sorry and hands back the missing change. If you don't, she scores. She has done nothing wrong unless she refuses to give you the missing change.

The difference is: I have lived here for 28 years now and I reprimanded her in Thai language...so there was no misunderstanding about what was said ....after the 3rd time, while all the other girls heard exactly what was said to "that" woman.

I do not give a flying Fxxk about her loss of face after myself catching her trying to scam me for the 3rd time and then this time she said nothing at all...nothing at all....no apology or anything at all......or embarrassment...... rather just nasty, bitchy looking facial expressions because I chastised her for trying to short change me again for the 3rd time while there was no mistake about her giving me 500 baht's worth of small 20 baht notes believing I would not take the time to count all the notes, after she tried the same thing with larger notes the 2 times before...and off by 200 baht and then 100 baht the next time and then again less 100 baht the third time.

And...it is the Only place I have encountered this short change affair when I took the time to actually count the money.

Meantime I have mentioned the dogs several times and then one of them will go and chase the dogs away ...but several days later the dog and or dogs are back again and no one has the common sense to chase the dogs away...until someone or some child is bitten by the dogs or possibly severely mauled by one or several dogs at the same time...as has happened before.

Please do not argue on behalf of dishonest behavior or peoples laziness to practice a degree of common sense prevention.

But living in Thailand many people tend to end up thinking like the Thai people, all too much.

Cheers  

I would be cautious about getting carried away in the "everybody's trying to short-change me" department. Interestingly, I don't think I've ever witnessed a Thai challenge a vendor about whether the correct change was given.

The two times I've ever had occasion to question whether I received the correct change, it did not end well. Once, on a bus years ago, I questioned whether I had received the correct change for an insignificant amount of money. The fare taker took great offense and successfully humiliated me in front of all the other passengers by accusing me of trying to pull a fast one. On another occasion, I was absolutely convinced that I had given a seafood vendor who I knew very well a 1,000 baht note, but had only received change for 500 baht. After returning home, and double checking how much money I had in my wallet when I went to the market, I realized that it was entirely my mistake. The next week, I went back and apologized profusely, telling them that I never intended to accuse anybody of deliberately trying to cheat me, but was only questioning whether an honest mistake had been made. But even though I did this, resentment lingered for several months after. 

What I do now is before going out shopping, I will only take a certain amount of money which I count beforehand. This really helps quickly determine after the fact if I have received the correct change, and has helped me avoid falsely accusing someone several times. I do count my change, and while every once in a blue moon I catch a minor mistake, I find the vast majority of vendors to be honest. 

Edited by Gecko123

The dogs are Soi dogs, nothing at all to do with 7/11.

Chase them away, and sure, they will return.

A lot of them are rabid, and a bite from them could be serious, so why should the employees put their health on the line to appease you ?

I suggest you write to the manager, asking him to employ a full time dog chaser for outside the store, to make your shopping a bit easier.

32 minutes ago, gemguy said:

The difference is: I have lived here for 28 years now and I reprimanded her in Thai language...so there was no misunderstanding about what was said ....after the 3rd time, while all the other girls heard exactly what was said to "that" woman.

I do not give a flying Fxxk about her loss of face after myself catching her trying to scam me for the 3rd time and then this time she said nothing at all...nothing at all....no apology or anything at all......or embarrassment...... rather just nasty, bitchy looking facial expressions because I chastised her for trying to short change me again for the 3rd time while there was no mistake about her giving me 500 baht's worth of small 20 baht notes believing I would not take the time to count all the notes, after she tried the same thing with larger notes the 2 times before...and off by 200 baht and then 100 baht the next time and then again less 100 baht the third time.

And...it is the Only place I have encountered this short change affair when I took the time to actually count the money.

Meantime I have mentioned the dogs several times and then one of them will go and chase the dogs away ...but several days later the dog and or dogs are back again and no one has the common sense to chase the dogs away...until someone or some child is bitten by the dogs or possibly severely mauled by one or several dogs at the same time...as has happened before.

Please do not argue on behalf of dishonest behavior or peoples laziness to practice a degree of common sense prevention.

But living in Thailand many people tend to end up thinking like the Thai people, all too much.

Cheers  

I also dislike stepping over dogs to enter 7Elevens. On one occasion I was concerned about being bitten as one of them became aggressive - probably because I woke it up out of a deep sleep.

... but the only way to stop these dogs sitting out the front of the store is to kill them. Chasing them away achieves nothing. They are fed by the staff - it is their home. Dogs are territorial. Perhaps a complaint to the owner would be the best way to solve the problem, or the manager if it is a corporate store.

I'm a frequent shopper at 7Elevens. I have 5 stores close to where I live. Some staff are annoying. Others are plain rude. Some are friendly. Choose a different 7Eleven if you can. I don't think that staff member will last long if she keeps that up. 

You obviously look like a tourist. Try to change that and speak some thai words to them at first.

I always pay with 1000 in the malls or big shops, never in small shops..i always try to have a pack of smaller notes as well in case i take a taxi or so.

It also happened to me that they gave me too much change, or even that i paid with a 1000 and thought it was a 100 note. The marketvendor chased me to bring me the right change.

Also ALWAYS check the moneychangers, they tried me as well. You know when they do it on purpose if they give you the rest of the change immediatly, without arguing or so. 

Keep in mind that the Thai can't calculate well, i know they also do it on purpose but not all the time. When they shortchange me and i catch them i want them to say solly sir and if they won't i will say it myself loud and clear (hope they learn from it).

Since i always speak thai to them and start with sawadee krab before i pay it happens much less often. Also when i pay with 1000 and need some small coins with that to make it easyier for giving change back i say "mee hook baht krab" or something similar, so they know i'm not a tourist and live here longtime.

How to not look like a tourist? No sandals/sneakers, no waterbottle, no backpack, no sunglasses, no camera, don't look like it's the first time in a thai shop, be rude like they all are, don't keep doors open for anybody, don't be too polite, don't say krab but klab, haa loi instead of ha roi...just do as they all do and it won't happen often.

6 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Absolutely... and avoid the tourist traps..

LOL> I've lived in the "tourist trap" for 11 years without a single negative incident. I like living in a "tourist trap" and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

You have to watch your money anywhere you live. There are cheats everywhere. It's your money and your job to hold onto it. 

8 minutes ago, fruitman said:

How to not look like a tourist? No sandals/sneakers, no waterbottle, no backpack, no sunglasses, no camera, don't look like it's the first time in a thai shop, be rude like they all are, don't keep doors open for anybody, don't be too polite, don't say krab but klab, haa loi instead of ha roi...just do as they all do and it won't happen often.

LOL. Generally be unfriendly and you'll fit in fine. Lose the idea that Thailand is LOS.

Reciting this and taking it to heart could help: "No good deed goes unpunished". I could have saved myself a fortune if I'd known this many years ago before I came to live in SE Asia.

I acknowledge that based on TV reports that paranoia can sometimes be generated, and yes so far haven't had tremendous problems with being ripped off, as I have accepted it is Thai way of life! 

But as one post said" the Thais do not trust the Thais!"

so I don't think it unreasonable that the main target , the farang cash cow, should take steps to protect themselves from being milked!

19 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL. Generally be unfriendly and you'll fit in fine. Lose the idea that Thailand is LOS.

Reciting this and taking it to heart could help: "No good deed goes unpunished". I could have saved myself a fortune if I'd known this many years ago before I came to live in SE Asia.

It's a bit like at hi-school where the weaker polite kids get teased all days. Or like soidogs who only attack weak looking humans/dogs.

This also works on the road while driving motocy. Don't keep left to the max. just claim your spot on the road. The rule of the jungle is bigger is better/stronger so use your size...Chinese don't push me aside cause i won't move and push back. Last week a chinese in chinatown even pushed me while i sit on my bike and couldn't drive because of congestion. I put the bike on the standard, stepped off and walked towards him slowly when he suddenly started waiing to me when he noticed my size and/or big nose.

3 hours ago, Kabula said:

That's a very rude post!

You look silly by not reading the entire post.

I posted that  I lived here for 11 years and this short changing just recently started.  If I look silly, why would it start now?

If you are going to be rude, you should scan over your content for errors before posting it so you don't look silly.

Have you ever admitted to anyone you were an ass---e?   

Many A-holes here also question how you can be here 10 + years and it never happen. But then every other day??

You must admit though, there is some silly suggestions here..

'Take a picture of the 1000 baht bill before you hand it to them'

Really, no wonder they think we are kee-nocks.

My solution- go to food court and break up 1000 bat note with a 100 baht on a food voucher..

Easy to check change and those cashier never try that BS anyway.

Go eat something to eat or walk 3 mins and hand back voucher.

Simple

See..There is always a solution that save making an A-hole out of you and the Thais.

but just harder for some to use their noggin I guess.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Yes! also walk around in public with head in phone and picking your nose also helps

Never once in over15 years  have I  everhad a deliberate short change.  In fact I have  had several  mistakes in excess  change. In recent years  most  outlets have a  screen on the till which  displays the  amount offered, the cost and the  correct change. I notice most  staff double count the change  before  verbally  announcing it. In 7/11 the staff  also invariably  announce the  amount offered as well.

Street vendors  usually have round  figure prices so it is  not difficult to  check change on say a  200Bht purchase  against the submission of 1000Bht. I used to immediately check without moving the  change from  plain sight but now usually don't  bother unkess some prolonged haggling  has  taken place.

That comes  from experiences in Indonesia  where haggling is  expected  and attempted short changing is a component of the haggling. lol

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

That comes  from experiences in Indonesia  where haggling is  expected  and attempted short changing is a component of the haggling. lol

Yup, that's also the reason we won't go to indonesia. They will cheat you if they can and sure annoy you nonstop.

It's also the reason the only tourists coming to thailand now are chinese in grouptours with a guide.

But even in the big malls like Paragon you have to be carefull when paying with creditcard...always check the payment, i had them taking too much from the card and i couldn't even see it on the cashregister since there's no screen on the customers' side.

This happened to me yesterday. I had a massage and gave the woman who owns the place a thousand note and she was asking a lot of questions like where do you come from etc etc and then offered to hail a taxi for me and when i nearly home in the taxi i realised there was no change. Seems like the after sales politeness was a distraction.

I almost got short-changed at Immigration a few years ago when they initially omitted to give me a 100 THB note in change for the 2 x 1,000 THB notes I had handed to them for a retirement extension, until the wife stepped in to remind them of this omission (which, in fairness to them, was probably accidental). Ever since then I have always paid the required 1,900 THB for a retirement extension in exact cash.

I cannot, however, recall any other occasion of being short-changed (or nearly so) during my 8 years to date of living in Thailand.

2 hours ago, thaipod said:

This happened to me yesterday. I had a massage and gave the woman who owns the place a thousand note and she was asking a lot of questions like where do you come from etc etc and then offered to hail a taxi for me and when i nearly home in the taxi i realised there was no change. Seems like the after sales politeness was a distraction.

Not a happy ending then ! :sad:

3 hours ago, happy pattaya man said:

but you go on to pay for an 80-100 baht hair cut with a 1000!

hpm.

Some fools and sociopaths, aka Trolls, have responded to this post in my opinion.

A-- h--e, you have no idea how much the haircut cost and what my generous tips are.

Get a life and get help to live a long, happy life!

There were many likes from normal, polite people.

i personally think this is BS  !!

why ?  because everytime i go to 7-11 or another store im constantly frustrated at the amount of time they take to count out my change in front of me like at least 3 times over,   so tell me how to hell you been short changed that often ? 

10 hours ago, OJAS said:

I almost got short-changed at Immigration a few years ago when they initially omitted to give me a 100 THB note in change for the 2 x 1,000 THB notes I had handed to them for a retirement extension, until the wife stepped in to remind them of this omission (which, in fairness to them, was probably accidental). Ever since then I have always paid the required 1,900 THB for a retirement extension in exact cash.

I cannot, however, recall any other occasion of being short-changed (or nearly so) during my 8 years to date of living in Thailand.

It always makes me laugh at the Thai Consulate in Vientiane,Laos where they staple your 100 Baht change to your visa forms to be handed in hoping that you won't detach it which of course everyone does!

15 hours ago, pennine said:

as for writing on bills, I went to Western Union th change some Indian rupees. they wouldn't accept a few which had been written on.

I've been changing GBP here for years and I've been knocked back for creased noted as well as pencil marks on them . 

The strange thing is..Notes from Northern Ireland have been refused everywhere I go ( including England ) regardless of their condition .