Bangkokian or Pattayan – how to tell the difference

Inspire

Bangkokian or Pattayan – how to tell the difference

diff-main.jpg

There has always been a massive divide between the kind of expat who would choose to live in Pattaya and the kind of person who would opt for Bangkok as their preferred place of residence.

There are very few who could live in both. Very few who have made the transition from one to the other and been remotely happy about it. Except people in Pattaya who have moved to Bangkok, of course.

Let’s face it cosmopolitan Bangkok and down market Pattaya are like chalk and cheese. The former, like chalk being a rock albeit a bit of a crumbling one getting washed over by the sea, the latter…well it smells a bit, like cheese left out of the fridge a tad too long.

So what are the key differences – how do you know without even asking them in most cases – whether someone is a Bangkokian or a Pattayan.

Here are some tips:

At the airport:

Due to a complete lack of Thai skills from Pattayans the taxi from Swampy assumes they are to go there. They are unable to say turn round or go the other way even if they wanted to. The Bangkok expat meanwhile has a nice car waiting for them in the parking lot and, of course, can afford the parking charges no matter how long they have left their vehicle there. Though it takes them the same amount of time to get to Soi Cowboy as their Pattaya cousins take to get to Walking Street as Bangkok is full of people who want to live there and they create traffic, hubbub, interest.

Dress:

The Pattayan wears shorts and thongs, inside as well as out probably. Their t-shirts can be a little soiled as clean water is not what the resort is renowned for. Bangkokians do not wear shorts unless they are playing sports at their well-appointed club. They dress well in stylish clothes because that is what is expected. Pattayans in repose wear mostly yesterday’s underwear while Bangkokians maintain a sense of propriety even when others are not admiring them, which is unusual.

“Condoms”

Pattayans use those annoying “condom” sleeves on their beer bottles. Admittedly there is a good reason for this – they are usually propped up outside in the sweltering heat on a barstool watching for what passes to be their world going by. Bangkok expats know when to use “condoms” – when they go to Pattaya. They don’t need them in the capital because if they do drink beer it will be consumed in air conditioned places that serve to keep the beverage at an optimum,civilised temperature. Usually they drink fine wine in clear crystal glasses, for which no cheap “Chang Condoms” are needed or have even been produced. The use of other kinds of condoms are de rigueur in both cities though double thickness is advised on the eastern seaboard.

Money

The Pattayan will go out for a night on the town with 2,000 baht in their wallet. This makes them feel rich and “Mr Big” ready to lord it over the natives. If Bangkokians go out with 2,000 baht in their pockets they either realize their mistake and go back to get a proper sum of money for their night out, or just get the bread and milk that was their intention in the first place.

Hi-So views

A Pattayan believes that a girl is a Hi-So if they come from Chonburi town. Even Sattahip if the girl owns her own motorcycle. Bangkokians can spot a girl who has lost her way and is in Bangkok by accident. They will kindly point them in the direction of Ekamai Bus station so they can get home to Pattaya.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/bangkokian-pattayan-tell-difference/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2016-11-12

The accent - for me only works with lo-so, those who've spent some time in BKK, and want you to know it have a distinct lilt to their voice. Something akin to Cockney. Mostly applies to males, never heard a female with this affectation.

Edited by nausea
More info

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Ouch!

That one hit a little too close to home. :omfg:

expatlivesmatter.jpg

A bit of costume modification might have been required if the Glitterman was in Thailand at the moment.

It would have been interesting to see his response .

A really silly post. What kind of expats are you talking about?. They vary enormously depending on their background,class, financial status and nationality. Also you don't even know the meaning of the word Hi-So. It is someone of low class pretending to be very high-class. There are hated and despised by by all Thais of all classes, rich and poor. The infamous lady Kai is a typical example.

Arrived and lived in Pattaya for 6 years doing nothing except spending money. Got a job at a university in Bangkok and later at a stock broker. Bought a house in Bang Sue in 1992 which I still own two-thirds of. Road traffic made life miserable even after the new transport systems arrived. Returned to Pattaya and got a job teaching at a university. Bangkok had good night life at Soi Cowboy and Washington Square in the old days but no more. Walking street was a lot more fun when the bars were owned by characters. Moved to the USA and worked there for 9 years returning in 2008. Bought a house in Pattaya and here I will live out my days. The dark side has plenty of small bars and I only visit Walking Street when friends or family visits. The population has changed from the old days when there were a lot of Americans hanging over from the Nam. They are all passed on now and most of my friends in Pattaya are Brits or German. If you like big city life then you might prefer Bangkok. I would never live in Chicago or New York or any big city. Simply not the life for me. 

Edited by akentryan
correct spelling

14 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Can't. Generalization never works.

Yes, the thesis: " There has always been a massive divide ..." seems flawed from the get-go and now that Pattaya is no longer the sleepy beach town/fishing village it once was, I would think the difference would be even less apparent.

Generally the Pattaya bashers tend to focus on the Walking Street sleaze factor, but the sex trade in Bangkok has hardly been negligible and these days I would say that element has more to do in either case with short-term tourists rather than long-term residents.

There are some truth hidden in the article. We live in Bangkok and are definately not Hi So's. but I would still not venture out in shorts.....

I see farang walking around in jeans and long sleeve shirts boiling up a lather of sweat

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

This seemed trollish from the beginning, and perception was right (I am one of few that live both in Bangkok and Jomtien).

" Very few who have made the transition from one to the other and been remotely happy about it. Except people in Pattaya who have moved to Bangkok, of course." Oh bloody well "of course" is provided as some sort of evidence and/or reasoning skills. Show us your data methods.

The remarks about airport & Bangkokians having "nice car waiting for them in parking lot" vs taking a taxi is more economics than smarts. If the OP had brains he might do what I do: take the train into Bangkok. It's faster, safer, cheaper for openers. If going to Pattaya take the bus to Jomtien: faster cheaper and safer again.

I don't want to use the word "stupid" so suppose "thick" is adequate.

11 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

This seemed trollish from the beginning, and perception was right (I am one of few that live both in Bangkok and Jomtien).

" Very few who have made the transition from one to the other and been remotely happy about it. Except people in Pattaya who have moved to Bangkok, of course." Oh bloody well "of course" is provided as some sort of evidence and/or reasoning skills. Show us your data methods.

The remarks about airport & Bangkokians having "nice car waiting for them in parking lot" vs taking a taxi is more economics than smarts. If the OP had brains he might do what I do: take the train into Bangkok. It's faster, safer, cheaper for openers. If going to Pattaya take the bus to Jomtien: faster cheaper and safer again.

How can a bus be faster than a taxi ever? 

I live in both as well and fully agree with your post

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Bangkokians dont wera shorts etc ???? Have you ever visited Soi Nana during the day ? Looks exactly same as anywhere in Pattaya with exactly the same type of people !!! 

I used to go to Bangkok regularly, but, although they are both big cities, I personnally find Bangkok boring. I now live in a small village south of Pattaya, and can go to Pattaya when i choose, but there always seems far more choice of entertainment if all types there.

i am thinking of moving to Pattaya in the new year for two reasons, numer one is i like my fishing and can visit about 10 fishing parks in Pattaya and number two, the absolute rip off beer prices in bangkok, a beer in Pattaya is 65 baht and in bangkok its 140,baht, a pee take , thought nothing of it until i came back to BKK, now its a different story, why spend 5000 when i can spend 2000, for the same product.oh i have been told the ladies are cheaper, 1500 compared to 3000 lol !! so thats a treble bonus (tongue in cheek) (ok 3 reasons) joking. !!

the OP needs to experience thailand a bit more before coming up with this complete s..t

Pattayns have a better livestyle, lazing around in their 8 million baht pool villas while the bangjokians rent their small 8 million baht condo.

In patts you get up at 9.15 for a ten oclock meeting at the golf course, in bangkok you get up  at 6am for a work meeting and arrive late because of the traffic.

Pattaya expats smile more, in bangkok you sweat more.

pattaya is more fun, bangkok is more interesting.

i do like both, could live in either.

- Bangkokians eat bland overpriced Thai food at Mega Malls and think they are eating real Thai food. Pattayans are like fck Thai food, bring me fish and chips.

- Bangkokians think their dirty, ugly and polluted city is the coolest place on earth because they got laid last night. Pattayans know their city is one of the coolest places on earth (in a way that hipsters would never understand, it is like the cool below the radar bar that the real people hang out who known each other for years while the douche bags and posers are in the other hipster bar down the street) and they got laid last night too.