ESL teacher vacancy in Myanmar - urgent

simon43

Mods, is it OK to leave this post in this forum? (for greater exposure).

My current employer has an urgent vacancy for an experienced ESL teacher to teach classes of grade 9 students (both genders) at a private school in a small, rural town in central Myanmar.  The job at the school starts on 21st November and would continue through to 18th February, after which the teacher will be redeployed to continue their teaching in Mandalay.

Each class has about 30-45 well-behaved (this is Myanmar, not Thailand!) students, and each lesson lasts for 45 minutes. 6 classes each day = 4.5 hours of in-class teaching per day. Mostly teaching spoken English using the 'English in Mind' series.

You would be working alongside 2 other NES teachers ==> me (sorry about that), and another British teacher who is also just starting work in Myanmar.

Free  food, free single-status accommodation, free weekend trips to from Mandalay/Bagan. You need to be happy to live and work in a rural and developing environment - if you're a wild party animal, this is NOT a job for you.

You need to be a NES and there are no age restrictions.  The school will provide all documents to get your business visa on arrival and will reimburse you the $50 for the visa.

Salary is probably around $1,400 per month, no deductions.  (I say probably because I'm not the recruiter and my estimate is based on my own salary and that of my teaching colleagues).

You should be able to save at least $1,000 USD each month.  I am eating out every day and am saving about $1,200 a month...

A degree + experience or TEFL + experience is preferred.  

No druggies, alcoholics, weirdos, sexpats etc, but applicants from the USA will be considered :shock1: - sorry, just my British sense of humour

Drop me a PM and CV if you're interested, and I'll forward your details to the school recruiter.

Would wearing knee !length shorts, golf shirt, and cross trainers be OK?

I'll answer you truthfully.  That sort of attire would probably not be acceptable in any country, regardless of the climate :)

OTOH, you don't need to wear a jacket.  You can wear trousers or a longyi, plus short or long-sleeved shirt.  

What the locals get up to (in terms of praising their employer etc) is up to them.  I'm here to teach...

Archived