Mail redirection from UK to Thailand - any good?

AbeSurd

Royal Mail in the UK will redirect mail destined for a UK address on to a Thai address.

For a private address (ie not a business) prices vary from £104.66 for up to 3 months redirection - to £209.99 for up to 12 months.

Do any Brits on ThaiVisa have experience of how well this service works? I would guess there would be few problems at the UK end, but once it gets to Thailand?

Thanks.

I use a combination of Royal Mail re-direction and UK Postbox which provides Mail scanning, virtual mail forwarding and parcel forwarding services. Cost for the Royal Mail re-direction plus UK Post Box charges for up 35 items received and up to 35 items scanned per month is c£180 a year. Giving an address outside of Europe when signing up means you do not pay VAT on UK Post Box charges. For lighter users with up to 10 items of post per month there is a Pay-As-You Go option. 

Process is outlined below. Very easy to use and means post is available to view much quicker. 

Scan envelope and upload to secure server — you can then choose from the following:
Instruct UK Postbox to open mail and upload to secure server for you to view / action appropriately
Forward on the post to your current location
Scan and file the document securely until you require it
Scan and shred documents — at your instruction only

Worked fine. All my UK mail addressed to my UK property was re-directed and sent here. Used to come "bundled" rather than piece by piece. Thai Post delivered it to the house here o k to, still in the bundle and wrapper.

That was several years ago. I renewed it but there was a limit to how long you could do it for. That may have changed.

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

It was a few years ago that I used the service, but it worked well and, as far as I know, everything was forwarded and delivered promptly.

I suppose the delivery part is the responsibility Thai people....I say that because I seldom get post promptly .....a birthday card for example is often a month late when arriving in my mail box (that's the ones that do eventually make it at all).

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I suppose the delivery part is the responsibility Thai people....I say that because I seldom get post promptly .....a birthday card for example is often a month late when arriving in my mail box (that's the ones that do eventually make it at all).

If anything that is sent here; looks like it might have money, or a nice present. You can kiss it good bye.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Worked fine. All my UK mail addressed to my UK property was re-directed and sent here. Used to come "bundled" rather than piece by piece. Thai Post delivered it to the house here o k to, still in the bundle and wrapper.

That was several years ago. I renewed it but there was a limit to how long you could do it for. That may have changed.

As I recall the maximum period was 12 months when I moved out here 8 years ago and subscribed to this service. Looks like this is still the case:-

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/redirection

I moved here two years ago.  I got the mail redirected to a close friend in the Uk who then posted it on to me every three months.  At the time I was told mail redirection could only be for 2 years.

During the redirection time - 1 year, the royal mail missed redirecting tow letters to my friend and instead sent them to my house.  These letters contained cheques for over £3000 but thankfully my tenants reurned them unopened to the original sender.

Mistakes happen i know but it took many phone calls from here to sort it 

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Have you considered getting a friend or family to scan mail and put into Dropbox, one-drive, google drive etc. 

That's how I used to do it - and mostly it worked very well. But unfortunately I now need to find another  way.

6 hours ago, yardrunner said:

Worked well when i came to Khon Kaen in 2012, no problems but in the last 9 months post in Khon kaen has been very hit and miss, perhaps you could rent a post box at your main post office and collect the mail from there

I didn't think of that! Thank you. I've actually been renting a post office box for several years which I never use - which is why I never thought of it I guess. Doh.

Would having mail redirected to a post office box in central Pattaya be more reliable than having it redirected to a condo in central Pattaya?

Maybe one for the Pattaya forum.

Thank you.