Three young men electrocuted after trying to steal Krathom leaves in Surat Thani

webfact

3 hours ago, kokopelli said:

Water is not a good conductor of electricity so a wire does not short out because of rain. .Although if someone is wearing flip flops and the ground is wet that will improve their chances of electric shock if they touch the wire.

Er, pardon? Which science text book are you reading from?

13 minutes ago, Honthy said:

did I say that  really ? The punishment is not parallel with their deed, but I did not even say this, did I .

No, but you when another poster said that he had no sympathy for the young men, you defended him on it. That implies that their deaths were, as I said, a reasonable outcome of their actions

41 minutes ago, Docno said:

No, but you when another poster said that he had no sympathy for the young men, you defended him on it. That implies that their deaths were, as I said, a reasonable outcome of their actions

That does not mean I agreed with their death.  If I say A does not mean that I think Z 5555... So implications sometimes lead too far ...

Just as a recap. I cannot agree with their death, but cannot accept either that someone goes in your property with the intention of stealing something. Here does not matter if he wants to take my cat or my Harley. On the other hand, the owner of the "garden" is also responsible, because when he built this fence, he should have known that is too dangerous. But obviously, I cannot agree with the death penalty of the youngsters.

5 hours ago, kokopelli said:

Water is not a good conductor of electricity so a wire does not short out because of rain. .Although if someone is wearing flip flops and the ground is wet that will improve their chances of electric shock if they touch the wire.

Which might explain plenty of foreigners' deaths in LOS when under the shower with a malfunctioning heater element. 

The primary factor at play as to why it is easier to get shocked when water is involved is that water, being a liquid, spreads over the surface of and into the nooks and crannies of your skin much better than contact with a solid would, thus increasing the surface exposure of your skin to the electric shock.

Any body that break and enters takes their odds of not being killed from zero to a very much higher number Especially in underdeveloped countries with underdeveloped peasant minds. Most of the uneducated thais outside the cities are unable to rationalise and here we see what happens.
I truly feel sorry for farang that go to the sticks and marry little dark things and end up spending the remainder of their lives with these peasants!

20 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

And that's from a human's keyboard? Did a kangaroo hit you on your head? 

What's wrong with his theory? Have you never seen people giving a shock to eachother by holding hands and touching the electric wire around cowfields?

5 minutes ago, fruitman said:

What's wrong with his theory? Have you never seen people giving a shock to eachother by holding hands and touching the electric wire around cowfields?

Please look at the photo once more. Right in front of the one dead boy is a ladder and a bamboo stick they must have used. 

13 hours ago, kokopelli said:

This is a case of premeditated murder, plain and simple and it happens a lot in Thailand.

Maybe people who install these lethal electric fences think they only "shock" while in reality they kill.

Plain and simple, it's not premeditated murder as evidenced by your contradictory second sentence.  Make your mind up, premeditated or unintentional?

18 hours ago, tilaceer said:

As typically anything above 70mA is fatal, presuming you have enough voltage to push the current through the body, I dont think an 8 A or 15 A fuse would offer much protection.

Maybe not for the first contact but could have saved the 2 other guys (unless they were holding hands)

Edited by Mitker
double typing

1 hour ago, Mitker said:

Maybe not for the first contact but could have saved the 2 other guys (unless they were holding hands)

The fuse would most likely never have blown. The purpose of a fuse is not to prevent electrocution. You need a RCD/ Earth leakage safety switch for that.

1 hour ago, tilaceer said:

The fuse would most likely never have blown. The purpose of a fuse is not to prevent electrocution. You need a RCD/ Earth leakage safety switch for that.

Given the extend of the injuries ("...They had burns all over their bodies..."), I expected the implied current would blow the fuse, even if too late to save the first one.

But I may as well be wrong in my guess.

1 hour ago, Mitker said:

Given the extend of the injuries ("...They had burns all over their bodies..."), I expected the implied current would blow the fuse, even if too late to save the first one.

But I may as well be wrong in my guess.

The burns are because of unlimited current. They would still theoretically be dead from 50~70 mA stopping their hearts. Hard to say as AC typically throws you , whereas DC grabs on. Unless there was a survivor, hard to know what sequence took effect, ie who touched what when,

The OP did say that there were burns all over their body, so to me that suggests that the voltage was higher than 220/240 V. Having said that, between 25 and 30 mA will kill at that voltage, or at least start ventricular fibrillation which can lead to death.

Having had many shocks of that ilk (voltage -wise), unless one grabs the wire, the usual reaction is for the muscles to spasm and pull the hand (for example) away. 

Perhaps the landowner wired his booby-trap in from an overhead line which can be voltage in the many thousands of volts, or somehow wired up a three-phase booby-trap?

Pure water is not a good conductor of electricity, however tap water and water laying around the place as in a field, would be a good conductor.

No need for this sort of tragedy because as others have stated, the usual "cow fence" type pulsing transformer (battery driven) is usually deterrent enough.

ummm, formed a human ladder, upon the ladder seen? 

or maybe it's a case of not knowing to ensure their own personal safety (removal of the hazard),

before going in to rescue someone else,

and the same mistake was made, twice...:violin:   lemmings to the slaughter

No sympathy whatsoever for thieves. Society has really lost the plot when it is more concerned about thieves having a nasty accident through their own evil actions, than the property owner defending his property and the safety of his family members. IMO the property owner can and should take any action he deems necessary to protect his family, end of. Now, if he was out on public property trying to electrocute passers by, then that would be a different story.