Immigration Tightening Up?

Today my girlfriend and I went to extend our tourist visas (issued in Hong Kong) at the Samut Prakan immigration office, and were issued an informal warning that "Soon you will not be able to come back to Thailand."    I'm from the USA, and she's from Laos.    I have 2 tourist visas, and two visa exempt entries all of which have been extended.   Her passport is filled with a mix of tourist visas and exempt entry stamps going back two years. 

I found this odd because they've never said anything before.   Also, usually the paperwork is a breeze.  Show the housing documents  get the receipt, show the cashier, and get the stamp.   This time, they went through every document with a fine toothed comb, and wouldn't let us extend our stay unless the condo owner came to the immigration office to sign paperwork and pay a fine for not reporting us in her condo within 24 hours of arriving in Thailand.      I know this has been the official rule forever,  but they've never asked for her to come sign documents or pay a fine in 2 years. 

I've also heard people saying that they've been given warnings both at BKK airport and the Poi Pet border crossing.   I'm hoping to gather more data about people's recent experiences in this thread. 

Edited by pjthefey

I would not consider what an officer at an immigration office tells you as definitive. Most are not that familiar with the rules for entering the country.

The TM30 form requirement is happening at many offices. Insisting the owner has to do it is odd and appears to be only a Samut Prakan requirement.

People entering on visa exempt entries are subject to greater scrutiny. With a valid visa it seldom happens.

It is just not possible to live in Thailand anymore on tourist visas. Doing many visa extensions raises a flag w immigration. I rather do a visa run than an extension. I ran out of luck after 4.5 yrs. I had an ed visa w a re-entry permit and only got let in after I paid off the supervisor at suvarnabumi. I am now taking a 6 month break and will only live there again on a elite visa.

It is just humiliating being taken aside at the airport immigration. This 3rd world country all of a sudden thinks of itself being the likes of US or UK.

Have a back up plan!! In Vietnam americans get a 1yr multiple entry for under 150 bucks. Not as good as Thailand but if you want to stay in the area it is a good option. Good luck!

One last advice is to stay away from the poipet border!! there are many posts here and everyone says it is to be avoided. Go to the borders w Laos.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pjthefey said:

"Soon you will not be able to come back to Thailand."

Numerous people seem to be stating that .

It seems like theres another clampdown on the way

All of us long term stayers on tourist visas should be prepared to "emigrate"

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, PocoLoco said:

Thailand needs to come up with a solution for a very large percentage of longstayers or it's going to seriously miss a lot of income. I believe the amount of money these guys spend in total and networks they support is hugely understimated. I know of several guys in BKK who don't work in Thailand but plash cash like crazy and stay on tourist visa's, not everyone wants to buy an elite visa. Some are planning to move to another country because never being sure about what's going to happen next.

Under 50, not married, not working? You're screwed.
And still, if you meet one of these requirements you still have to report every 3 months (?) and expect immigration police to pop up any time for questioning.
They can't do without us, but at the same time foreigners are treated like criminals. Thailand make up your mind.

I'm wondering how elita visa holders are treated at immigration. What if an elite visa holder travels international every two months or so and spends around 200 days in Thailand. Do they get grilled as well? Or are they immune to immigration questioning? Priviliges can be bought in Thailand....

Excellent post, you have just said what I have said a good few times in my posts over the last few months.

• Like 1

Also the definition of working illegally needs to be refined.

Authorities are not clear about the situation; business abroad and paying tax in homecountry, but managing it online from Thailand on tourist visa's. That's the real problem, reports from authorities have been contradictory.

Believe me, these guys pour quite a lot of money in the economy and needs a solution. With the increasing tightening this group is going to slowly base into other countries like Vietnam (already happening).

Edited by PocoLoco
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Samut Prakan, where they need 5 photocopies of passport pages just to do a 90 day report and where I was told in 2008 that they 'did not really do' visa extensions there, tightening up for some time i think!

No, I think it is just that when some boss takes over, he starts making up his own rules, if you have read posts in Thaivisa much, you will know that all the IOs make up there own rules, the same with banks, amphurs, schools etc. This is Thailand.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PocoLoco said:

Thailand needs to come up with a solution for a very large percentage of longstayers or it's going to seriously miss a lot of income. I believe the amount of money these guys spend in total and networks they support is hugely understimated. I know of several guys in BKK who don't work in Thailand but plash cash like crazy and stay on tourist visa's, not everyone wants to buy an elite visa. Some are planning to move to another country because never being sure about what's going to happen next.

Under 50, not married, not working? You're screwed.
And still, if you meet one of these requirements you still have to report every 3 months (?) and expect immigration police to pop up any time for questioning.
They can't do without us, but at the same time foreigners are treated like criminals. Thailand make up your mind.

I'm wondering how elita visa holders are treated at immigration. What if an elite visa holder travels international every two months or so and spends around 200 days in Thailand. Do they get grilled as well? Or are they immune to immigration questioning? Priviliges can be bought in Thailand....

They don't care. Not wanted here!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's interesting Rob. Perhaps the crackdowns are intended to move a certain group to buy an elite visa? Financial intentions all along? Much like a bribe, i pay you but don't bother me any longer.

It's still intended for tourism only, so the same rules should apply. Like i said, priviliges can be bought in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, PocoLoco said:

That's interesting Rob. Perhaps the crackdowns are intended to move a certain group to buy an elite visa? Financial intentions all along? Much like a bribe, i pay you but don't bother me any longer.

It's still intended for tourism only, so the same rules should apply. Like i said, priviliges can be bought in Thailand.

Who knows.. but it certainly moved me to elite visa. But face it people paying the price for elite visa's are usually not the kind working in Thailand its too expensive for that. People on elite usually have a bit more money and that is the kind they want. Not the people who think they can get it all for free. Its a mindset i can understand. I don't like paying.. but at least it helps me with the hassle. You are far more safe once you got a visa like that. I just did not feel good trying my luck on tourist visa's. Retirement.. / marriage / elite.. those are visa's that are somewhat safer.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, PocoLoco said:

<snip>.

They need to come up with another solution to clamp down on those working here illegally.

<snip2>

The Thai Misnistry of Information and Communications Technology has as part of its Mission statement:

4 Promote and support the development of personnel performing work concerned with information and communication technology and personnel of all sectors and divisions to be able to use information and communication technology efficiently.

http://www.mict.go.th/view/10/About Us

They want skilled IT foreigners who reside in Thailand to help provide jobs and training for Thai personnel. It seems that they do not want to, or have not as yet, set up procedures to encourage lone wolf foreigners to work out of Thailand in a manner that does not directly benefit the above mission statement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgold said:

It is just not possible to live in Thailand anymore on tourist visas. Doing many visa extensions raises a flag w immigration. I rather do a visa run than an extension. I ran out of luck after 4.5 yrs. I had an ed visa w a re-entry permit and only got let in after I paid off the supervisor at suvarnabumi. I am now taking a 6 month break and will only live there again on a elite visa.

It is just humiliating being taken aside at the airport immigration. This 3rd world country all of a sudden thinks of itself being the likes of US or UK.

Have a back up plan!! In Vietnam americans get a 1yr multiple entry for under 150 bucks. Not as good as Thailand but if you want to stay in the area it is a good option. Good luck!

One last advice is to stay away from the poipet border!! there are many posts here and everyone says it is to be avoided. Go to the borders w Laos.

Saying "it is just not possible to live in Thailand anymore on tourist visas"  is nonsense.    

Thai immigration law places no restriction on how many tourist visas you can have or how long you can stay in Thailand with tourist visas.   All you have to be able to do is show you are not working here.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Saying "it is just not possible to live in Thailand anymore on tourist visas"  is nonsense.    

Thai immigration law places no restriction on how many tourist visas you can have or how long you can stay in Thailand with tourist visas.   All you have to be able to do is show you are not working here.

Yeah seriously there are thousands of people staying here on tourist visas who've never even heard of Thaivisa and wouldn't know what all the fuss is about. 

If you get a warning at a given consulate just go to Laos / Penang and use an agent, pretty easy. Have an onward ticket ready to show at airports, it's cheaper booking flights in advance anyway. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, seancbk said:

That is a dangerous assumption. You could say the same about visa exempt entries . People did before the 2014 crackdown. One ministerial announcement changes the law in practice if not in theory.

The Thai authorities do not care if every person living in Thailand on tourist or exempt entries left and never came back. Their opinion is that these people are working illegally in the country and not paying taxes. There are many in this category and the authorities are going to continue to harass people entering at all borders as well as applying for extensions. They feel that they can either force the people into elite Visa categories or they will simply leave. In total number, the Thais believe they can replace all this lost income by getting more Chinese or Indian tourists.  If I was in this category, I would never stay in Thailand. There are so many other choices for people -why put up with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jspill said:

Yeah seriously there are thousands of people staying here on tourist visas who've never even heard of Thaivisa and wouldn't know what all the fuss is about. 

If you get a warning at a given consulate just go to Laos / Penang and use an agent, pretty easy. Have an onward ticket ready to show at airports, it's cheaper booking flights in advance anyway. 

This morning I picked up my passport at the Thai consulate in Hong Kong.   Another single entry tourist visa.

8 years living in Thailand so far and not asked anything ever by a consulate or immigration.

I do sometimes worry a bit based on the stories one reads on here, but just in case I carry sufficient cash and copies of my bank statements that show I transfer plenty of cash from overseas into Thailand each month to be able to live without working.

What I rarely have is a flight out as I book return flights from Bangkok to HK and back.... a flight out would be a third leg.   This time I think I'll book the outbound flight as well.

For my next visa I plan to either apply for the Multi Entry Tourist Visa in Hong Kong, I'm a HK permanent resident and can meet the requirements so should not be an issue, or a Non B as I am setting up a Thai company.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That is a dangerous assumption. You could say the same about visa exempt entries . People did before the 2014 crackdown. One ministerial announcement changes the law in practice if not in theory.

This is a Good and valid point, as much as I try not to think about it. 

Anyone here, or considering moving here, with plans to stay on Tourist Visas, should be aware that this method of stay could end as you describe.  It will be a very sad day for many Farangs, and many more Thais, if that should come to pass.  I have under 2 years to go to 50.  Crossing my fingers I make it.

6 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The Thai authorities do not care if every person living in Thailand on tourist or exempt entries left and never came back....  If I was in this category, I would never stay in Thailand. There are so many other choices for people -why put up with it.

Answer:  Personal connections and Thai Culture.  If I am forced out, I know I will miss both very much.