Locations in Thailand to avoid rice burning season?

sunfruitdan

13 hours ago, Diplomatico said:

Bangkok and south of Bangkok, you should be fine.

All of Asia has a problems.  Phuket had massive problems last year.  By the sea is best.  Burning is everywhere.  The worst seems to be Indonesia.  The smoke drifts up our way.  Tough time of year...even here in Pattaya, you can at time only see 1/2 km or so out to sea.

You could head to kanchanaburi. Basically no rice smoke but a hell of a sugarcane, corn, rubbish, charcoal manufacture and forest fires.

Its useless trying. Its either smoke, sewers, drains or pollution no matter where you go really.

Beach places are less effected with a good airflow.

Buy a mask would be the best backup.

2 hours ago, Beats56 said:

No rice burning  here in Rayong but it is still hot.

Drove by there last year in March or so.  Amazed at how many fires we passed.  Air was thick with smoke.  Ended up in Koh Chang a month later and couldn't see the mountains until we were more than 1/2 way there.

Think u r mis-informed as much, most?, of the smoky fires in northern T'land not rice but rather corn, maize stalk, burning and also forest tree burning.  The corn mostly goes for ethanol, to run your motor bike, so the farmers ain't entirely at fault.

Do you mean burning the sugar cane !! never seen a farmer burn rice yet. it's the only smokey time we get here in my part of issan and thats dying somewhat as we harvest sugar cane unburnt as itfetches more money there are still a good few who burn for ease of cutting (even then its done by night) so apart from the fools who think it funny to burn othe peoples sugar crops during the day we have next to no bad air days. The rice growers here and buffalo keepers cut the rice and when  thrashed bag and store the rice then bail the residue of the thrashing.  then we turn the buffalo out onto the rice fields. no burning no waste.

Edited by Deepinthailand

4 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Any farmer that will burn and plant next year should get a medal. From the rice prices I hear floating around its an exercise in futility. Agricultural Hari Kari. The farmers have to get more creative or sadly a lot will go under. 

Oh my Buddha, now we have keyboard agricultural experts. So what, pray tell, do you think they should plant to save such calamity?

Edited by FT10toLOS

54 minutes ago, FT10toLOS said:

Oh my Buddha, now we have keyboard agricultural experts. So what, pray tell, do you think they should plant to save such calamity?

Maybe both of you are missing the point. Small time family run rice farms will be a thing of the past in a generation from now, I see every year farmers that (have had to) sell up. In Isaan we get one crop of rice a year and there is very little alternative. Too little water, soil baked to the consistency of concrete, not much alternative to rice. Even the big companies buying the land stick with rice.

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Do you mean burning the sugar cane !! never seen a farmer burn rice yet. it's the only smokey time we get here in my part of issan and thats dying somewhat as we harvest sugar cane unburnt as itfetches more money there are still a good few who burn for ease of cutting (even then its done by night) so apart from the fools who think it funny to burn othe peoples sugar crops during the day we have next to no bad air days. The rice growers here and buffalo keepers cut the rice and when  thrashed bag and store the rice then bail the residue of the thrashing.  then we turn the buffalo out onto the rice fields. no burning no waste.

Some rice farmers do burn, not all, but some.

11 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

"Ended up in Koh Chang a month later and couldn't see the mountains until we were more than 1/2 way there."

How do you get half-way...to an island?

You must be a strong swimmer ?

Very strong swimmer!  Maybe I couldn't see them because of the salt water in my eyes. LOL

P.S. Ferry....

In our region (western part of Khon Kaen province) rice burning is NOT the #1 annoyance.

It's quite rare (only one harvest year).

BUT: the bad habit of burning sugar cane before harvest is really a plague.

Huge firewalls light up the evening sky.

Depending on wind direction: black ash flakes raining down covering the yard/terrace.

What a view in the morning.

35 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

In our region (western part of Khon Kaen province) rice burning is NOT the #1 annoyance.

It's quite rare (only one harvest year).

BUT: the bad habit of burning sugar cane before harvest is really a plague.

Huge firewalls light up the evening sky.

Depending on wind direction: black ash flakes raining down covering the yard/terrace.

What a view in the morning.

Yes but as I said very rare most sell unburnt now more money. there are a group of idiots I belive they are employed by the sugar buyers to set light to other people's sugar crops l. so they can buy it for less just my thoughts

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Yes but as I said very rare most sell unburnt now more money. there are a group of idiots I belive they are employed by the sugar buyers to set light to other people's sugar crops l. so they can buy it for less just my thoughts

Last year there must have been a lot of idiots around here :annoyed:

And I know they do it deliberately to ease harvesting.

Still a rare occurrence: harvesting unburnt with machines.

I knock on wood that the situation improves this year.

Sugar cane season has not begun here yet (just rice cutting).