Italy threatens to block EU budget talks

webfact

Italy threatens to block EU budget talks

Catherine Hardy

606x341_349684.jpg

• EU budget renegotiations underway
  • Italy wants increases in funding
  • Deadline is midnight on Thursday

ROME: -- EU governments and institutions are set for intense budget negotiations ahead of a Thursday deadline.

The European Commission proposed in September that a mid-term review of the current budget should boost spending by 13 billion euros in 2017’2020.

Funds will be reallocated from other areas.

However Italy, which holds a constitutional referendum on December 4th, says it is not satisfied with the plan.

What has Rome said?

Italy wants more funding to be allocated.

“Italy opposes the review of this multi-year budget,” said Italy’s Europe Minister, Sandro Gozi.

“We think we still need a proposal which gives us many more guarantees on a real increase in resources for our nation.”

Gozi said the Italian government considers the failure to guarantee funding increases for the country’s priorities unacceptable.

Speaking on the fringes of a meeting in Brussels, Gozi listed these as migration, security, youth unemployment and research programmes.

“I am thinking of immigration, I am thinking about security, I am thinking about European resources for the young.”

Gozi said Italy was “very tired of European ambiguities, very tired of European contradictions,” and of “a Europe that says certain things but does not do them.”

“We are convinced that if Europe does not change, then we are at the beginning of the disintegration of Europe,” Gozi added.

The budget

The EU operates on the basis of seven-year budgets to finance various projects important for the 28-nation bloc.

The current budget, which ends in 2020, is worth 1.04% of the EU’s gross national income (GNI).

The EU agreed to review its spending priorities by the end of 2016 to reflect economic trends and whatever challenges may arise.

The deadline

The November 17th deadline for a deal between the Commission, EU governments and the EU parliament stems from a 21-day legal conciliation period that started in October.

If there was no deal by midnight on Thursday. the Commission will have to make a new proposal to be negotiated by mid-December.

This is this year’s final plenary sitting of the European Parliament.

Renzi

In October, Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi warned Italy may block the EU budget if it does not get help dealing with the migrant emergency.

“We give 20 billion to Europe and the EU gives us back 12, but if Hungary or Slovakia preach to us about migrants and don’t give us a hand and when want our money, we will say ‘there is no way, absolutely’,” Renzi said at the time.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-16

1 hour ago, bartender100 said:

Sooner we (UK) gets out the better, the Euro is doomed, just a matter of time

You are right.  Everyone is going to want a bigger piece of the pie. Greece, Italy, Spain, etc.  all needing more money. 

3 hours ago, bartender100 said:

It's not the Euro that's doomed, it's a strong currency that is shouldered by some of the richest countries in the world.

The EU project now, that's another matter. The sooner they dissolve the present configuration that is calling for ever greater union under the guidance of some megalomaniac idiot and go back to an EEG arrangement the better.

It would allow countries to go back to their original currency and devaluate when necessary. As the british pound did, recently.

Like throwing good money after bad. Its like you buying your son a Ferrari and he wraps it around a tree and then you buy him another one. After December the 4th it will matter little anyway as Italy starts the ball rolling for their own EUexit. After that it will be like a game of dominoes. Its like the speech that Obama gave the other day on his last sojourn abroad. He claims that we are reverting back to a animal level. He is possibly right but then looking back over 50 years of my life poor politics has brought us to today's situation. I like the guy in some ways but he and his predecessors have put us in this situation. When the mega rich want to squeeze the mega poor beyond a decent life something has to give. 

4 hours ago, Bullie said:

It's not the Euro that's doomed, it's a strong currency that is shouldered by some of the richest countries in the world.

The EU project now, that's another matter. The sooner they dissolve the present configuration that is calling for ever greater union under the guidance of some megalomaniac idiot and go back to an EEG arrangement the better.

It would allow countries to go back to their original currency and devaluate when necessary. As the british pound did, recently.

The British pound wasn't devalued. The decrease in its value against other currencies was determined by the forex market based on its decision to leave the EU. Devaluations are a conscious act of a government.

The Euro has added to Germany's wealth but at the expense of countries like Greece, Portugal, Span,  and Italy. These countries are now pushing back against Germany's demands for austerity and seeing how bail outs also profit Germany. Unless Germany finds a way of keeping these countries happy and quiet, then the Euro could find them opting out. 

The Italian referendum will be significant. Renzi needs to show the Italian people that he's got a better deal for Italy here as he's losing ground. Many Italians want out of the Euro. If the referendum goes against Renzi's government he's promised to resign and the EU could see anti EU parties doing well in subsequent elections. Of course, if they concede then he'll come back for more and more; and so will other countries. Well done Wallonia for showing the way - the EC, always open to blackmail.

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Like throwing good money after bad. Its like you buying your son a Ferrari and he wraps it around a tree and then you buy him another one. After December the 4th it will matter little anyway as Italy starts the ball rolling for their own EUexit. After that it will be like a game of dominoes. Its like the speech that Obama gave the other day on his last sojourn abroad. He claims that we are reverting back to a animal level. He is possibly right but then looking back over 50 years of my life poor politics has brought us to today's situation. I like the guy in some ways but he and his predecessors have put us in this situation. When the mega rich want to squeeze the mega poor beyond a decent life something has to give. 

The "Common Market" was, and still is, a good idea. Freedom of movement, within member states, and protecting member states borders from illegal immigrants is fine too.

But sadly, the neo-communists, pseudo liberals, non democratic political class, and bureaucrats want to turn it into some sort of federal EU super state with an alien imposed culture of their liking and with themselves firmly in control. And sod what the people want.

Most countries contain people of that ilk and being a member was fine for those that could secure massive handouts and free load. 

Wake up time is gonna be painful. 

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Truly a bizarre comment since the UK never adopted the Euro.   

Not forgetting that the UK is propping up half of Europe with our massive contributions.  Stuff the EU, the EUR, Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal and the rest of the hangers on. 

10 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Here is exactly the kind of hateful words that justify the Europeans laughing at the misfortunes of the GB and want the implementation of Brexit as soon as possible.

What is more normal that each country put its problems forward to obtain the best subsidies ?

In the end, the council of nations will decide and everyone will be free to accept or leave. But since the catastrophic UK example, all want to stay.

13 minutes ago, happy Joe said:

Here is exactly the kind of hateful words that justify the Europeans laughing at the misfortunes of the GB and want the implementation of Brexit as soon as possible.

What is more normal that each country put its problems forward to obtain the best subsidies ?

In the end, the council of nations will decide and everyone will be free to accept or leave. But since the catastrophic UK example, all want to stay.

'Misfortunes of the GB'? Dream on. On the contrary, the EU would bend over backwards if they could have the UK back in, if only for the massive funds it sinks into it. If you can't acknowledge that, you are being a bit naive and anything you say is just fluff. The Italians are just as pissed as most of the other net contributors (the people have had enough)... it is only great if you are one of the many with your hand out I guess. Anyway, :sleepy: , the euros love this train of thought, the sheeple mentality, I bet your from Belgium. :laugh: 

Edited by daveAustin

Who is paying for this? Germany, Holland, Sweden and UK. UK is leaving and as someone said. They are bending backwards to keep them in the EU

47.jpg

And they are throwing everything against UK to make it hard for them. Treating a friend like an enemy threaten with this and that while trading with China. And of course, they all want money from EU, the only reason for them to join. Albania and countries like this are waiting to join, God help EU

My only hope is that they cannot afford to keep the farce going when UK leaves but I guess Germany and Sweden will save their faces and they will pay until they have run everything to s**t It is already shit and it is getting worse by the year. Nothing has become better

They threw us some pearls like travel without passport and no need to exchange money. Free movement of people, I have always moved free within Europe. But they mean cheap labour but they always talk about the tourists (how easy it is to go for holiday) like we don't understand what they really mean

North have always supported the south, look at all the empty highways (best highways I have ever seen) in Portugal and Spain. But now they have run out of money

41.jpg

13 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

'Misfortunes of the GB'? Dream on. On the contrary, the EU would bend over backwards if they could have the UK back in, if only for the massive funds it sinks into it. If you can't acknowledge that, you are being a bit naive and anything you say is just fluff. The Italians are just as pissed as most of the other net contributors (the people have had enough)... it is only great if you are one of the many with your hand out I guess. Anyway, :sleepy: , the euros love this train of thought, the sheeple mentality, I bet your from Belgium. :laugh: 

OK, OK, you have the right to boast.

But we have not yet recovered the big cake of the City. The transfers will start at the end of 2017 and in Europe we are already rubbing our hands at the thought of this hen with the unexpected golden eggs.

And if another country wants to leave its share it will also say "thank you"

For my part, a European union around  the tandem Germany / France, limited to nations truly voluntary for a confederation would suit me perfectly.

15 minutes ago, RaggaTwin said:

That was a hard read, happy Joe. And I still don't get what you're on about.

I think he is licking his lips at the thought of the City of London's  financial businesses moving to a European city.

"Tobin Tax" anyone ? 

Do you really think that Brussels would be able to keep its sticky paws away from all that dosh?

I'll bet the International financial businesses currently in London don't think so!

Edited by JAG

1 hour ago, bartender100 said:

If the Euro fails, as it will, so will the EU, is plainly what I meant 

It's not plain at all. It depends how the Euro fails. If it is discarded voluntarily, the Eurozone would be stronger than ever. Nations like Greece would be free to damage themselves or not without it becoming a European crisis.  

8 hours ago, Bullie said:

Do you realize that your premise and conclusion are in direct contradiction?  

2 hours ago, bartender100 said:

If the Euro fails, as it will, so will the EU, is plainly what I meant 

Yes this has been forecast and Japan comes next. The US will be the last to fall. Any rate hikes in the future by the Fed will not last long before they are cut yet again to try and sucker people into borrowing cheap money. I was rather amazed that consumer numbers were up but then who makes up the numbers??

14 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes this has been forecast and Japan comes next. The US will be the last to fall. Any rate hikes in the future by the Fed will not last long before they are cut yet again to try and sucker people into borrowing cheap money. I was rather amazed that consumer numbers were up but then who makes up the numbers??

Suckering people with cheap rates? Generally speaking the same people who condemn the fed for offering cheap rates are also the ones who moan about the national debt.  They don't seem to realize that the higher the interest rate that is offered, the greater the debt that is incurred. If a government can find takers for bonds at a really low rate, why should it offer a higher rate? Especially in this environment of very low inflation.