Udon Thani: Find this car - video shows Honda Civic flattening two motorcycles and fleeing the scene

webfact

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

He absconded.  He didn't humiliate them by having them prostrate themselves before his car.

Hang on......they WERE prostrate, or maybe more like 'in a heap', when he left the scene.

If the farang  driver ??   had not done a runner ,

there  would be  fifty or more,

prostrate thai,s   on his car bonnet .

Thai culture .

Edited by elliss

6 hours ago, elliss said:

Interpretation of the Law , is  defined by the  Nationality  of the car driver .

IMO .

The number one law on the road is self-preservation. Who's in the right and who's in the wrong doesn't matter much if you wind up seriously injured or dead. 

The motorcyclists had plenty of time to stop. They were either drunk, spaced out on drugs or checking their cell phones. It doesn't even look like they slowed down.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

The car driver had not eased into the far left lane as a preparation to turning left; the car driver was almost stooped in the middle lane then quickly turned left without checking and stopping his car when he realized there was moving motorcycles approaching in the left lane, the lane they should be travelling in. IMHO the car driver is at fault. 

Agreed. All the early comments were blaming the motorcyclists. 

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

The car driver had not eased into the far left lane as a preparation to turning left; the car driver was almost stooped in the middle lane then quickly turned left without checking and stopping his car when he realized there was moving motorcycles approaching in the left lane, the lane they should be travelling in. IMHO the car driver is at fault. 

Do you have a different youtube in the OP as us?

From the time the youtube starts, the car is clearly in the middle of the far left lane, even not close to the line on his right side.

It shows that he noticed the turn late, as he had to brake quite aggressively, but he was definitely not in the middle lane.

7 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

I am afraid that I have to call BS on your statement. First of all I'm sure I have travelled much further throughout the country as you ever will, as in the 2 decades I rode a big cruiser bike in Thailand I have crossed the country from north to south and from east to west several times. Have you?

Now secondly, closer to your previous home Pattaya. Highway #36 and Highway 3 ( Sukhumvit) are both multiple lane highways, so according to you they definitely have a bike lane.

Show me a picture of a single motorbike lane sign along those roads

They don't have signs on the highway through Lamphun either, but most of the bike riders use the motorcycle lane, because that is what it's for. They don't have signs on the other lanes either to say they are for cars and trucks, but everyone knows that is what they are for.

I suggest you go and tell the riders using the unsigned motorbike lanes that they are breaking the law and see what response you get.

Amazing how many people here on TV don't seem to be aware that the far left lane is for motorbikes. And they are supposed to stay in it, unless they are riding a big bike or are riding at high speed.  Once again, the far left lane, is a lane, it is not what we know as a hard shoulder, it is for the use of scooterS, cycles, scooter side cars, tuk tuks, and other slow traffic. 

40 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

Amazing how many people here on TV don't seem to be aware that the far left lane is for motorbikes. And they are supposed to stay in it, unless they are riding a big bike or are riding at high speed.  Once again, the far left lane, is a lane, it is not what we know as a hard shoulder, it is for the use of scooterS, cycles, scooter side cars, tuk tuks, and other slow traffic. 

I see 3 lanes in the OP picture, and they all have a white line to their left and their right, that's how they are marked lanes.

Ever considered why the "motorbike lane" as you call it doesn't have a line to the left side?

Could it be because it isn't a lane, but a hard shoulder?

The car behind which was filming had to brake sharply to avoid hitting the car in front,  suggesting the car in front had suddenly decided to turn left without warning. The angle of the car suggests that too. No gradual move to the left  with prior indicating, otherwise the car with the cam would have overtaken it.

This gave the motorbikes no chance to avoid the collision.-the car simply didn't see them in the driver's sudden decision to turn left.

49 minutes ago, bannork said:

The car behind which was filming had to brake sharply to avoid hitting the car in front,  suggesting the car in front had suddenly decided to turn left without warning. The angle of the car suggests that too. No gradual move to the left  with prior indicating, otherwise the car with the cam would have overtaken it.

This gave the motorbikes no chance to avoid the collision.-the car simply didn't see them in the driver's sudden decision to turn left.

Yours is the best understanding of what actually happened.

Living in Udon ,  i  hear  and  know .  Nuff said .

PS ,   i have enjoyed  the posts , and  opinions on this topic .

Refer local forums , for more info ,  555,    not have .

15 minutes ago, elliss said:

Ha Ha ,  give us your interpretation of the facts ,

Where ever , you are .555

Reading the article The fault lies with the Tarmac clearly hitting those motorcyclist.

But after reviewing the video I think Honda has something to answer too, he clearly had an issue with his throttle being wide open and he couldn't close it. After 30 years there should be recall on this car or the owner should maybe sue Honda. What if he had an accident and hurt himself?

Edited by wow64

18 hours ago, garywim said:

Again, my pet peeve, no helmets worn by either motorbike

I suggest you look at the video again , both motorbike riders are wearing helmets,. 

22 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Dumbass scooter riders, <deleted> were they thinking overtaking up the inside ?

Just one of the 'extra' things you have to keep an eye open for here, being overtaken on the inside is common practice. Scooters will also try to go straight on in right turn lanes on your right. I ride a scooter myself and some situations require it, not at that speed though! Another thing is watching out for car and truck vehicles who seem to accelerate to get past you, then brake hard to turn left in front of you.

16 hours ago, Enoon said:

Section 34 (500B)

[If the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:

a. there is obstruction on the road

b. the road is prescribed as one-way

c. it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction

d. when overtaking another vehicle

e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

outermost? do  they mean innermost?

20 hours ago, DualSportBiker said:

For your viewing pleasure. Now, go ride a scooter in the left lane near a cop and see what happens. The law, and the enforcement of the law are two different things. If everyone knows that you get busted for riding in the proper lane, then the hard should becomes the bike lane. When signs like this are interpreted as 'bike lane' what do you think riders will do?

stock-photo-bike-lane-signpost-for-bicycle-and-motorcycle-in-thailand-word-on-the-bottom-signpost-means-keep-380111056.jpg

must  be  the  only  sign  in Thailand

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I did, and I didn't see the indicator flashing. What I did see was a brief reflection on the indicator lens as the car turned left and the stop light briefly go off and on again.

id  suggest  you  stop driving or  get  glasses but  not those  rosy  ones  u  currently  wear..theyre  so  last  year, that  car  was  indicati ng

On 17/11/2016 at 7:38 AM, worgeordie said:

Another hit and run, getting quite popular thing to do in Thailand now.

regards worgeordie

It was "popular" for me ten years ago in Udon too.
I was driving a motorbike, was hit by the motorbike behind, knocking me into the outside lane of two lanes. That was when I was run over by a pickup in that outisde lane. Neither the motorbike nor the pickup stopped. I was reported to the police not as a casualty, but as a fatality. I woke up in hospital a few days later. I have no memory of the accident at all, I only know what apparently happened from witness statements given to the police at the time.

There are several provisions in Thai traffic law that are overlooked. 

1: vehicles must get into the turning lane or signal 25 yards or more from the turn. We can't be sure, but the abrupt braking of the car with the camera suggest that is not the case here.

2: vehicles are not permitted to stop in a lane and block traffic. The car driver did this while waiting for the first bike to pass.

3: any vehicle that leaves the scene is considered the party at fault, regardless of the events of the accident.

As for the status of the inner-most lane, we can't speculate. All those blaming the riders 100% are assuming too much and ignoring both the perception of road users (that bikes Must use the left-most lane), and the 3 clauses above that apportion part, if not all the blame on the driver.

I see those "Bike lane for bikes" signs everywhere. If you don't see them, that means nothing. Maybe your not observant. Maybe you zone out because you're in a cage and it does not apply. My wife had never consciously scene a Series Land Rover until I bought one. Then she saw them everywhere. It's a function of the pattern recognition model in our noggins. I suspect some deniers who saw the pic posted will see a bagful of them in the next few days...

7 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

There are several provisions in Thai traffic law that are overlooked. 

1: vehicles must get into the turning lane or signal 25 yards or more from the turn. We can't be sure, but the abrupt braking of the car with the camera suggest that is not the case here.

2: vehicles are not permitted to stop in a lane and block traffic. The car driver did this while waiting for the first bike to pass.

3: any vehicle that leaves the scene is considered the party at fault, regardless of the events of the accident.

As for the status of the inner-most lane, we can't speculate. All those blaming the riders 100% are assuming too much and ignoring both the perception of road users (that bikes Must use the left-most lane), and the 3 clauses above that apportion part, if not all the blame on the driver.

I see those "Bike lane for bikes" signs everywhere. If you don't see them, that means nothing. Maybe your not observant. Maybe you zone out because you're in a cage and it does not apply. My wife had never consciously scene a Series Land Rover until I bought one. Then she saw them everywhere. It's a function of the pattern recognition model in our noggins. I suspect some deniers who saw the pic posted will see a bagful of them in the next few days...

Very slighly OT here, is there somewhere (hopefully online) that has the Thai traffic laws in English? (Same idea as the UK Highway code)
For example, you mention the "perception of road users (that bikes Must use the left-most lane)". I really would like to read about the regulations regarding the 101 uses of that left-most lane .

On 17/11/2016 at 8:38 AM, worgeordie said:

Another hit and run, getting quite popular thing to do in Thailand now.

regards worgeordie

Another? Hit and Run?, the car didn't hit anybody, they hit him. The big problem is people not riding motorcycles defensively, when passing a car the right side is the right side and the left side is suicide.

19 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

why did he flee? i dont think honda civic was in the wrong cos he was already turning in n it took awhile b4 the bikes hit him.

unless the car had something illegal inside.

He fled led because he was a farang and maybe drunk, automatically in the wrong, probably on a plane as we speak.

Hi, forum rules mean I can't post a useful URL here... you can search for tlaw0140_5.pdf and you should be taken to a link on a thai law web site. The file is the entire act...

10 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Very slighly OT here, is there somewhere (hopefully online) that has the Thai traffic laws in English? (Same idea as the UK Highway code)
For example, you mention the "perception of road users (that bikes Must use the left-most lane)". I really would like to read about the regulations regarding the 101 uses of that left-most lane .