New Honda Rebel 300 & 500

mikebike

3 hours ago, Sure said:

I haven't found a good Honda mechanic in the normal dealers. Do Honda Big Wing service Honda's that they didn't sell?

Nah, they won't do anything on bikes they didn't sell except oil and fluids change = nothing.

Even if you bought a bike in the bigwing network i would be curious to see their face if you ask them to change a camshaft or some broken valves, when you do so please take a picture and post it here :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2017 at 10:32 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Absolutely hideous. Drove past one of the local small Honda dealers in town the other day. He had it on display at the front. Even more disgusting in the flesh than on these pictures. Jesus H. Christ, Honda really shot themselves in the foot in the design dept with this one. Not that i've ever been a fan of Corporate Big H anyway. I doubt they'll sell many in Europe or any in the States.

Every branch of the fugly tree was invented for stuff like this.

IF my missus wanted one (and she don't - she's got taste) i would'nt let her buy one. Too embarrassing...

Ugliest bike of the 21st century? I think so...

'Doubt they will sell many in the States'... that's what the short sighted 'experts' said when they saw the first Honda car in the USA.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2017 at 2:09 PM, Pepper9187 said:

Nah, they won't do anything on bikes they didn't sell except oil and fluids change = nothing.

Even if you bought a bike in the bigwing network i would be curious to see their face if you ask them to change a camshaft or some broken valves, when you do so please take a picture and post it here :P

We can assume that they often split the Honda 300cc engine, it would be impossible to fix the recall of the crankshaft bearing.... Or do I have that wrong... Not sure how many CB300F and CBR300R where sold, but the 300's where pretty popular....

On 5/7/2017 at 6:18 PM, Richard-BKK said:

We can assume that they often split the Honda 300cc engine, it would be impossible to fix the recall of the crankshaft bearing.... Or do I have that wrong... Not sure how many CB300F and CBR300R where sold, but the 300's where pretty popular....

Well they won't do anything for 300s cc in bigwing network because these models are sold in the regular small shops honda network.

But anyway i would be curious to see if they would be able to change a camshaft, i guess they would just try to make you purchase an entire new engine instead of trying to fix it.

On 5/9/2017 at 10:03 AM, Pepper9187 said:

Well they won't do anything for 300s cc in bigwing network because these models are sold in the regular small shops honda network.

But anyway i would be curious to see if they would be able to change a camshaft, i guess they would just try to make you purchase an entire new engine instead of trying to fix it.

It was a manufacturer recall, which means that all 2015 and 2016 CBR300Rs and CB300Fs had to get the camshaft replaced. It would be impossible for Honda to replace all engines for the motorcycles sold in 2015 and 2016. Not even thinking about the registration nightmare of getting the new engines registered …

No, every Honda dealer who sold a Honda CBR300R or CB300F in (2-years) 2015 and 2016 received the replacement parts and was instructed to make appointments for the crankshaft replacement.

Having a good idea how many motorcycles received a new crankshaft it makes sense that Honda is doing a good job, otherwise we would have been flooded with complains on this forum… How many people have complained after Honda fixed their 300cc? Nobody. So guess Honda is very capable in rebuilding a engine… even the small regular dealers.

Of course no Honda mechanic wakes up on Monday thinking today I will happily rebuild a few Honda engines. Most professional mechanics prefer not to do it, but when it is needed it needs to be done...

• Like 1

The 500 is here, I've only seen it at a dealer in Hua Hin, but they won't allow any test rides even though they tell you on the phone that you can.  Have not seen the 500 in Chiang Mai yet.  I rented the 300, rides ok, but not too quick, it's a 6 speed.   The exhaust pipe is in a stupid location, I took my right foot off & put it on the ground & burned the back of my shin.  Overall I'm not impressed.

Edited by lockman07
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:03 AM, SpeakeasyThai said:

'Doubt they will sell many in the States'... that's what the short sighted 'experts' said when they saw the first Honda car in the USA.

To many choices in the states to settle for a bike as ugly as this.

• Like 1

On 14/05/2017 at 0:19 PM, watso63 said:

I bought my short legged girlfriend one a few weeks ago. Had the white colour in the Buriram showroom which we liked and within the hour it was paid for, PDI'd and she rode it the 70km home whilst I rode my great little Z300 Kwacka. After a few rides on it myself and liking it I've noticed just 3 slightly irritating things: 1 Neutral selection is a bit of a pain. 2 The front footrests are a real pain in the shins when manoevering it around whilst sitting in the saddle ? 3 The footrest brackets black paint is wearing off (she rests her heels there) and showing the raw aluminium underneath. Well it's a real head turner around these parts especially when the yokels see a bird riding it. The motivation for buying it is that we can go on road trips together without luggage requirements being a major restriction and I can act the loon on the twisties with the Kwacka.

All in all, a great stylish bobber style bike despite what the Moto Guzzi tractor lover has to say but I guess an aftermarket exhaust will be the first modification.

FB_IMG_1493336619800.jpg

FB_IMG_1494739550257.jpg

# Nice write up, nice girlfriend, still don't like that motorcycle. Each to their own.

# Looking for something for the missus too, she hates those bobbers (has taste), likes the Chinese retro classic bikes, but i'm loathe to buy the 400, just too wary of Chinese FI. The 250 (carb) would be too gutless on long runs. She currently rides her daughter's ex KSR thing around locally. She loves the Yam 400SR singles (has taste) but being 5' nothing and 50 kgs, she aint gonna start it when i'm not around...

# Quite a few of the local Honda  moped/scooter shops seem to be stocking them (cough - "Rebels"), along with those race rep CBR 150 thingies, less so CRF's.

# The tractor comment - don't know if i should be offended or take it as a compliment...

# Difference between you and me is i stopped riding road registered 300cc motorcycles once i passed my test and got my license aged 17, like a month after i turned 17...

• Like 1

On 5/14/2017 at 0:19 PM, watso63 said:

I bought my short legged girlfriend one a few weeks ago. Had the white colour in the Buriram showroom which we liked and within the hour it was paid for, PDI'd and she rode it the 70km home whilst I rode my great little Z300 Kwacka. After a few rides on it myself and liking it I've noticed just 3 slightly irritating things: 1 Neutral selection is a bit of a pain. 2 The front footrests are a real pain in the shins when manoevering it around whilst sitting in the saddle ? 3 The footrest brackets black paint is wearing off (she rests her heels there) and showing the raw aluminium underneath. Well it's a real head turner around these parts especially when the yokels see a bird riding it. The motivation for buying it is that we can go on road trips together without luggage requirements being a major restriction and I can act the loon on the twisties with the Kwacka.

All in all, a great stylish bobber style bike despite what the Moto Guzzi tractor lover has to say but I guess an aftermarket exhaust will be the first modification.

FB_IMG_1493336619800.jpg

FB_IMG_1494739550257.jpg

I hope her long hair doesn't get in the chain. 5 5

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SpoliaOpima said:

The old Rebel has/had a huge following, and there's little reason to think the update won't be just as popular. Same basic DNA, with upgrades, ie the seat height is the same, rear shocks and fork diameter are the same, head tube angle and triple tree offset are the same.

Here's a well-written review comparing them. Nice vid too.

Starting a rebellion: Big men and small bikes with the Honda Rebel from then to now

2017_honda_rebel_300_bike_review_03

I wasn’t excited about testing a Rebel 300.

I mean, I had mixed feelings. I know it’s important to cover bikes I might not go buy at this point in my life. New riders often rely on a seasoned vet to tell them everything they need to know due to a lack of context, but an entry-class cruiser doesn’t really get me hot and bothered. With all that outta the way, the Honda Rebel was really fun to review. This bike is important for two big reasons: It is at this point completely unique, and it also is a phenomenal motorcycle for its given task. It may actually be the best bike I’ve ever tested.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/starting-a-rebellion-big-men-small-bikes-with-the-honda-rebel-from-then-to-now

Thanks for the link, a good find. More or less what I said and how I feel about the bike. The tool with the beard (Leb, I think) spoilt the video 2:18 into it though with his purse chain???

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Never trust a mainstream motorcycle journalist....

The late Kevin Ash was a good bike journo but yes, the majority seem to be in the pockets of Honda and Yamaha. Maybe one of the reasons I'm a big Kawasaki fan and always the black sheep in amongst the crowd of white ones...dare I say a rebel?...DOH, just did?

Edited by watso63
  • Like 2

I'm a big Brit bike fan, but the dross that bike journos came out with in the 50's and 60's, about the latest bikes in tests. I mean we did make some crap amongst the decent stuff, but how anyone could call a Francis Barnett 175 Fluffy Duck or BSA 250 Tory Canyon "great, marvelous bikes" is beyond me. These day's as you say there is certainly a bias towards the Big Red H. It seems also Ducati have been unable to do any wrong in the last 15-20 years according to the journos. Greatest thing since sliced bread - my arse.

+1 on Kevin Ash. There are a few others, but not many.

The new Rebel isn't the best, but it certainly isn't the worst, looking bike I have ever seen (I really hate the round mirrors, and wish it has 2 instrument cans rather than 1 -- really ugly). But, in Thailand, it really has no competition as a "cruiser" type bike in that size and price range. And, as a result, I am sure that it will be very popular. I do wish they had had the sense to put a V-twin in it between 600 to 700cc and called it "Phantom" or "Shadow" and not "Rebel", which has a pseudo "bad boy" connotation (at least to me), which a 300 or 500 cc bike certainly is not. I would seriously consider the 500cc Rebel, but I already have a Forza and a CTX 700N, and I just don't see the Rebel providing a sufficiently different riding experience to justify buying one. The Forza is the best "around town" bike that I have ever owned. I may rent one for a day (if I can find one) to try it out. But in any event, it is a very good addition to the bikes available in Thailand, and hopefully more like it (but bigger) are on the horizon.