Public asked not to throw leftover food or water into tamarind trees at Sanam Luang

webfact

Public asked not to throw leftover food or water into tamarind trees at Sanam Luang

61_Tree.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has appealed to members of the public to refrain from throwing fluid from cooking, trash and leftover food onto the foot of tamarind trees around Sanam Luang in order to save the century-old trees from dying.

In the meantime, the city administration has taken steps to save more than 200 tamarind trees threatened with leftover fluid from cooking, iced water and trash which were dumped onto the foot of the trees.

PVC pipes about 50 cm long and three inches in diameter were sunk into the ground around the foot of the tamarind trees to help drain excess water around the foot of the trees and, at the same time, to help improve air flow under the ground to prevent the roots of the trees from rotting.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/public-asked-not-to-throw-leftover-food-or-water-into-tamarind-trees-at-sanam-luang/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-21

There was a very nice green area that existed between two apartment buildings near where I worked some time ago in Bangkok.   It was a nice area for the locals to sit, for kids to play and for the local dogs to lounge in the cool shade of some mature and very big trees.   It wasn't a park and was maybe about 3/4 of a football pitch.  

Several vendors moved into the area and a couple of outside pubs moved into the area.   The cooks dumped the water, cooking oil and other liquid refuge on the ground.   About two years later, the trees no longer provided much shade and by the 3rd year they were dead.  

I hope they are able to save those trees.  

Very sad, certainly not a problem exclusive to Thailand, but it seems that in Thailand for every one person who gives a toss about the environment, and every person who can see past their own nose (read convenience) when it comes to recycling / responsible rubbish disposal, there are 10 others who couldn't give a flying one.

I think only severely harsh financial penalties are the only way to curb such behaviour. But there are no enforcement arms here with the discipline / will to see it through. So frustrating and sad really :(

Where I was living, I don't think the vendors knew any better.   They were all very close to the curbs and there were drains.   But when there is no system of monitoring or licensing people, then there is no way of enforcing any rules.  

The vendors lost an ideal spot because it was one of the very, very few places around that was so convenient.   They did a lucrative business.  

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

See it's again the foodvendors ruining the city. 

But why ask the public and not demand it? A hefty fine for ANYBODY who dares to throw ANYTHING on the floor or treeroots. Hang some camera;s in the area and get them.

trouble isThey can't or not bothered to up hold the laws already in place 

you never see bobbies on the beat here only on motorbikes (going to get some somtam no doubt)

I have the same problem with other shop owners around my shop. they would throw their red sodas that r offerings to the gods into the sewage drains outside our shops after they r done with them.

Come rainy day, the smell of the drains gets really horrid.

7 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Hell, Thai vendors certainly throw rubbish everywhere else, then wash much of it into the drainage system. So good luck with this plea.

seems strange to me how many street food vendors pitch their carts next to smelly sewage / khlongs etc. Does the smell of sewage enhance the taste of the street food?

If the food vendor arrives in a clean place, seems they quickly throw some waste on the floor to feel at home.

Edited by bangon04

On 11/21/2016 at 9:01 AM, Khun Paul said:

Changing the national culture would be like trying to get a dog to talk,  bloody impossible.

there  was  a  dog  who could  say  "sausages"  but  youd  have  to  be  English  to  understand  that.