Mafia crackdown: Koh Samet gearing up for trouble as soldiers descend on holiday island today

webfact

28 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Ahh sorry...

Ive just been staying on the Suk , and for the first time in my 9 years in LOS , experienced what it was like to not have to walk sideways on its footpaths or dodge its vendors ... good job military !

Yeah, you could be in any old capital city in the world now!  

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Familyaffairs said:

They are encroachers on a national park which belongs to ALL Thais, not just a handful.

Dead right.

People who have made their livelihoods there will just have to learn what foreigners in their country already know: better to have your ducks in a row.

Shame for them, they were born into a life where everyone else is doing it, so why can't we? but life - especially a corrupt one - isn't fair.

Is cleaning up a national park that belongs to the country a good thing to do? Yes.

Should it be used by pro-junta supporters as proof the government is anti-corruption? No.

55 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

This has been going on for a long time. Officials were removed quite some time ago.  Things like this don't always make it to the English news sites.

Kudos to the government for dealing with the mafia there.  Bit by bit, they are doing some good things.

Yes I have to agree and it is a good thing. They sorted out the illegal farang bridge games in Pattaya.

I am not so sure that was such a good thing but they can be forgiven for being suckered and set up by the RTP.

10 minutes ago, saminoz said:

I think that, before the pro-junta cheerleading team get overcome by their orgasms, we should wait and see which military bigwigs step in and take over the revenues.

I can't see them simply bulldozing these sources of revenues.

I suspect that they'll simply change ownership somehow.

They've been bulldozing structures for a long time in various areas.  Lots, actually.  So, no revenues now.  But yes, a change in ownership.  Back to the people of Thailand.

5 minutes ago, Squeegee said:

Dead right.

People who have made their livelihoods there will just have to learn what foreigners in their country already know: better to have your ducks in a row.

Shame for them, they were born into a life where everyone else is doing it, so why can't we? but life - especially a corrupt one - isn't fair.

Is cleaning up a national park that belongs to the country a good thing to do? Yes.

Should it be used by pro-junta supporters as proof the government is anti-corruption? No.

Where has anybody said the government is not corrupt?  What I see are lots of posts congratulating these efforts.  Small win perhaps.  But a win.  And it's not just here that it's happening.  Even by my beach in NaJomtien, beach structures are being removed. 

This i cant understand this with Thais..its either nothing or go crazy 100%.

I cant see any point in tearing down these resorts

just loss of jobs and a waste of opportunities they could have used those buildings for.

And what happen to the debris from the resorts? 

-left on the ground for yet another eyesore ?

Good to see they are doing something, but to far in the extreme.

Sacking the corrupt people there is good for now, but they will only replace them with another mob.

Will the new lot do exactly the same thing, 6 months later when they realise the money that can be made?

Money corrupts always.

Sad state of affairs, but is really just greed that corrupt everything on this planet.

...which of course is a human issue, not just Thai.

2 hours ago, brain150 said:

It's interesting:
So the local government is the mafia !

Instead of dealing with the problem you send in the army and all the Thai people

who try to make a living lose their businesses and jobs.

Because some people make the big money out of it it is all justified because you have to hit the "big guys".

Sadly the only ones suffering are the normal people who try to make a living.

Pretty hard to believe that anybody would support such action.

You need to look at the history of the Island. It was very beautiful and clean. Now its not so beautiful and more tourists more waste in every form. Just dumped on the hill.

Then of course it is a national park and the rules are there but largely ignored.

The resort owners and the "mafia" had decades to clean it up and didnt. Then boats and jet skies - please- again its a national park.

What is happening is a good thing and then move on to the next Island and do the same thing. Out with the bad and in with the good.

Quote:

The former park chief was removed in September

I hope his bank account & assets will be checked to see if it matches his income for the time of his employment as park chief

anything that looks "extraordinarily out of order" should also be confiscated.

2 hours ago, brain150 said:

It's interesting:
So the local government is the mafia !

Instead of dealing with the problem you send in the army and all the Thai people

who try to make a living lose their businesses and jobs.

Because some people make the big money out of it it is all justified because you have to hit the "big guys".

Sadly the only ones suffering are the normal people who try to make a living.

Pretty hard to believe that anybody would support such action.

Its a case of out muscling each other. A guy in green with a gun what does one do? The normal people always suffer. They have no guys in green to make a point. They know the problem but the solution well that comes out of the barrel of a gun sadly. 

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Brain

Much like the US, Canada. Italy and Japan organized crime (OC) has a way of slipping in where people say so they are there they are not hurting anyone and are creating jobs.

The problem is not that the local government is full of OC it is that they are under the influence or pay of them. 

There are a couple of problems here.  

One they broke the law no matter what we may think they re breaking the law.

Look at the crap people have to go through that rent a jetski.

The hotels are destroying forest and beach areas that are important to country and the people living on the island.

They are not going to simply take tings over clean it up and leave (at least I hope not)  They should show the people what it is like to have uncorrupted officials and let them govern themselves.

They will then keep a close eye on things and make sure the police are aware that they are watching.

Its the flavor of the day operation. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread

2 hours ago, mcfish said:

So let's see the army cleans up sukhumvit Bangkok, Bali hi in Pattaya, now koh samet and they are the bad guys? They have done more than the last 100 years of government who were completey corrupt.

Suk it up boys, there is a lot more good work coming
But don't cry, this regime will wind down eventually just like it always has

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

my guess is this is a sort of distraction for the mess the rest of the country is in. give if a few years and samet will be back to how it is now or worse.  army is just putting on show.

39 minutes ago, bamukloy said:

This i cant understand this with Thais..its either nothing or go crazy 100%.

I cant see any point in tearing down these resorts

just loss of jobs and a waste of opportunities they could have used those buildings for.

And what happen to the debris from the resorts? 

-left on the ground for yet another eyesore ?

Good to see they are doing something, but to far in the extreme.

Sacking the corrupt people there is good for now, but they will only replace them with another mob.

Will the new lot do exactly the same thing, 6 months later when they realise the money that can be made?

Money corrupts always.

Sad state of affairs, but is really just greed that corrupt everything on this planet.

...which of course is a human issue, not just Thai.

Understood.  Why wasn't this done years ago.  Right, corrupt governments.  These buildings are in a national park and built illegally.  Owners are being fined for the demolitions if they don't do it themselves.  Debris is being taken away and the beach is left in a nice state.  Wonderful.

They will only be replaced with a another mob if the next government allows that to happen.  Not going to happen with the current government.

6 minutes ago, monkey4u said:

so why give the resorts a 3 month notice

Just go in and demolish the buildings

Or are they allowed to make more money in high season

Take them down yourselves or we'll do it is what they've been told...and charge you for it.  Up to them!  Nothing wrong with a 3 month notice. 

The Army has been cleaning out Thailand now for some time- there are raids continually on so called entertainment areas that stay open after hours; allow underage workers; and are havens for drug abuse.  

They have also replaced the whole Pattaya Administration and are cracking down all over the city- first was Bali Hai Pier; next will be the Walking Street debacle .

They are now going after Samet and soon it will be Samui and its surrounding Islands.

The mafia and corrupt officials have been stealing the Thai people's money for decades. Rich resort owners have been using Burmese and Cambodian labor paying low wages making huge profits and cutting out Thai citizens. 

The Army Junta has done what no other government has ever done- they are kicking butt and taking names. 

7 minutes ago, monkey4u said:

so why give the resorts a 3 month notice

Just go in and demolish the buildings

Or are they allowed to make more money in high season

Forward thinking perhaps?

To allow them not to disappoint customers who have booked/paid?

Also to stop them booking more visitors?

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Take them down yourselves or we'll do it is what they've been told...and charge you for it.  Up to them!  Nothing wrong with a 3 month notice. 

And in 3 months what excuse is given then

The owner very sick he cant do it till next year 

3 minutes ago, monkey4u said:

And in 3 months what excuse is given then

The owner very sick he cant do it till next year 

Ummm....you did read my post?  The army will tear them down.  Like they've done all over the country.  This government has done what no previous government has done.  Give them a chance.  They're not perfect, but doing some things right.

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

Ummm....you did read my post?  The army will tear them down.  Like they've done all over the country.  This government has done what no previous government has done.  Give them a chance.  They're not perfect, but doing some things right.

Yes I did read your post and many things can change in 3 months

11 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The Army has been cleaning out Thailand now for some time- there are raids continually on so called entertainment areas that stay open after hours; allow underage workers; and are havens for drug abuse.  

They have also replaced the whole Pattaya Administration and are cracking down all over the city- first was Bali Hai Pier; next will be the Walking Street debacle .

They are now going after Samet and soon it will be Samui and its surrounding Islands.

The mafia and corrupt officials have been stealing the Thai people's money for decades. Rich resort owners have been using Burmese and Cambodian labor paying low wages making huge profits and cutting out Thai citizens. 

The Army Junta has done what no other government has ever done- they are kicking butt and taking names. 

You would think  Koh Tao would have been given absolute priority in island clean ups given its notoriety.

.....................At least they were not murdering their tourists on Samet!

2 hours ago, lucky11 said:

Yes!! So much for the mocking by those that keep on parroting "this government is all talk and does nothing to tackle corruption"!! Their opinions seem a little outdated now, making them look rather foolish and ignorant in the process. Keep it going Prayut, bit by bit, Island by Island, National park by National park - It doesn't matter who they are, if they are not supposed to be there then clear them out and move them on!!

not move them on ? jail em can't wait for Kao Tao's turn 

10 minutes ago, monkey4u said:

Yes I did read your post and many things can change in 3 months

If you've followed the news, you'll know they are following through on this and have done so many times in the past in various areas across Thailand.  Nothing changing.

I think everyone must agree it's good news for everyone. Look how they managed to get Phuket beaches and parks back in line , it took a few years, but finally there's result, it's still going on, except maybe the jet ski problem which is an enigma! Or is it ? Even The Thai population must learn to live with rules, they are not used to it. It's up to the government to introduce a valid eduacation system , that won't turn potential job candidates into beach bums , jet ski louts, and illegal food stall vendors. Maybe that should be on the military agenda ? Hopefully all the other " paradise" islands will soon be having a long deserved visit ?