• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, getreal said:

it is all good for the immune system.

the thai immune system is much stronger than the weak gutted, allergic to everything farang.

Right! And they won't catch any viruses because at the age of 15 they already consumed half a kilo antibiotics.

14 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

How can you suppose he threw away some fishes... even those were gnawed.

14 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"He probably threw away only the ones that the rats had gnawed.'

But more importantly, what about the fish the rats had ignawed?

"How can you suppose he threw away some fishes... even those were gnawed.'

I didn't suppose anything. I used quote marks and bold italic to show a copy quote. I suppose  the reporter was the supposer in this instance.

If you frequent this market, then you have probably seen a good many stalls with resident rodents.

3 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

"How can you suppose he threw away some fishes... even those were gnawed.'

I didn't suppose anything. I used quote marks and bold italic to show a copy quote. I suppose  the reporter was the supposer in this instance.

If you frequent this market, then you have probably seen a good many stalls with resident rodents.

Some of the rodents are the legal license holders, but not all

It doesn't look good whether people eat rats or not they are considered to be vermin and carry health warnings. Either way Thailand, especially Bangkok is a tourist city and like many years ago they cleared the packs of roaming dogs on sukhumvit, why not the rats. Since the vendors have left the drains and roads are still filthy and have a putrid smell. Hardly the image to sell to tourists. As a suggestion the TAT could use some of the money that they use to constantly do surveys and actually clean up the popular tourist walks, fix the pavements, get rid of the rats and clean the place up. I know, I know. I am talking stupid sense again.:sleep:

One of the many dangers foreign tourist don't know is many restaurants use these markets. Apart from the rats, flies and cockroaches there is no refrigeration. Buying food in Thailand even in supermarkets isn't always safe, but it is probably safer than on the markets here.  

Then again having worked in the hotel and restaurant trade in Europe standards are not always followed properly, it just here there are none.  

16 minutes ago, johninbkk71 said:

Apart from the rats, flies and cockroaches there is no refrigeration

I was surprised when I first came to Thailand and the lack of basic education of what a fly does when it lands on food within a second. I showed my wife the video of this (G/F at the time) and now she never leaves food out and thoroughly washes everything she buys, even frozen food. I do wish this was delivered in schools along with many other informative bits of education.

13 hours ago, getreal said:

No i am right.

Google is your friend.

You should listen to your elders.

I dont think there will be a prosecution for posting the video, that is the kind of tripe TVposters say.

Depends on whether you have a clue about which google results are reputable.

Surf N turf. Yum. 

And, you call that a rat?  Largest rats I ever saw were in Amsterdam.  Came out of the road culvert during a rainstorm.  About the size of a large cat and completely unfazed by the people about.

Not sure I would be keen to buy the fish though.  A year back I was on a khlong bridge getting a couple of photos and noticed that the staff of as restaurant that backed onto the khlong were dropping a bucket into the water and washing the dishes down.  So I now avoid all food places that back onto khlongs. I agree that too sterile an environment makes us vulnerable to infection but there are limits.

14 hours ago, fruitman said:

It will only change when a serious disease breaks out and many people get killed.

I often go to a hi-so market where everything costs double. There's one vendor who first chases the rats out of his desk before he starts vending. 5-10 big rats i saw coming out, running all over the market, nobody cared though, happens every day.

This market the rich go shopping, i mean chirurgians and so from the top hospitals. People also sit there to eat, there's fresh meat/fish/bakery.

No it won't. Okay, maybe for a week. But the Thai attitude is that it was meant to be. That excuses them of any kind of responsibility.

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

If you too reside in the village" with the boys, I suggest you try some grilled rat. It's a bit like chicken and the rats are rice field rats and not Bangkok style sewer and garbage rats. Don't forget the som tam.

I knew i would find you here. 

Get out there and do yer job...~

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

If you too reside in the village" with the boys, I suggest you try some grilled rat. It's a bit like chicken and the rats are rice field rats and not Bangkok style sewer and garbage rats. Don't forget the som tam.

Hhmmmm......those were the good old days......shooting rats in the rice fields with muzzle-loaded shotguns and enjoying pad-pet noo an hour or two later with a side order of somtam and multiple shots of lao-kao to wash it down with the village lads.  Yes, not unlike a scrawny old farmyard chicken, but got a taste of its own. Totally clean and healthy meat of course, as they feast on rice and field-fare, not your disease-ridden sewer rat that pees and shits on townies' food.  And then there were the bamboo rats, more like mini-coypu, for a more substantial meal.......:partytime2:

19 minutes ago, bkksteve123 said:

That's disgusting. I remember once seeing some street chef bath her baby in the same plastic bowl that was used to clean the dishes, all at the same time :)

In the hi-so condo-restaurant i lived for years the chef liked to change diapers of babies on the cuttingplate. She even had a babysit service for all tennants.

Also in restaurants i see them changing diapers on the tables, also in the plane on the chairs. Thai don't care at all.

15 hours ago, daveAustin said:

That's the kind of tripe old people say. Thais are not immune to leptospirosis, et al.

If anything, the person that posted the video will get prosecuted for damaging the reputation of the country.

have to wonder if the cops are now looking for the person who posted this video. not sure if there are still tourists coming this high season but they may be put off.

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

It doesn't look good whether people eat rats or not they are considered to be vermin and carry health warnings. Either way Thailand, especially Bangkok is a tourist city and like many years ago they cleared the packs of roaming dogs on sukhumvit, why not the rats. Since the vendors have left the drains and roads are still filthy and have a putrid smell. Hardly the image to sell to tourists. As a suggestion the TAT could use some of the money that they use to constantly do surveys and actually clean up the popular tourist walks, fix the pavements, get rid of the rats and clean the place up. I know, I know. I am talking stupid sense again.:sleep:

"Stupid sense" - yes.

This is Thailand and some of us like the relaxed attitude to animals.

Do rats carry germs - of course!  But then again so does the food vendor (wearing plastic gloves) who handles food and money in the same plastic gloves!

As for tourists, I can still remember coming here on holiday and sitting in a bar (in Bangkok IIRC) when another couple sat down in the same bar.  The woman saw a cockroach, and went running out screaming! :lol:

Edit - Personally, I'd prefer that the Thais address general hygiene issues (i.e. not handling food and cash with the same 'hands'/leaving food hanging around in the heat all day etc. etc.) first.  But we're living in Thailand and have to live with their 'standards'.  As long as the fish is properly cooked, I assume it won't be a health problem.

Edited by dick dasterdly

18 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"He probably threw away only the ones that the rats had gnawed.'

But more importantly, what about the fish the rats had ignawed?

Did he also throw away the ones with rat droppings on them. Oh well we needed a flavor of the day so here it is. Someone will be flogged and hung out to dry the masses will have their sensitivities massaged and the world goes on. 

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

Did he also throw away the ones with rat droppings on them. Oh well we needed a flavor of the day so here it is. Someone will be flogged and hung out to dry the masses will have their sensitivities massaged and the world goes on. 

I suspect that 99% of the time the fish will be cooked - killing any possible germs.

Its a good reason to not eat sushi though :lol:.

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

In the hi-so condo-restaurant i lived for years the chef liked to change diapers of babies on the cuttingplate. She even had a babysit service for all tennants.

Also in restaurants i see them changing diapers on the tables, also in the plane on the chairs. Thai don't care at all.

I hope none of these babies ended up on the menu.

baby.jpg

20 hours ago, pookiki said:

What I think is a bit comical/depressing are the street vendors wearing plastic gloves to give the appearance of good hygiene/health practices and then taking money and making change without taking off the gloves.

The gloves has nothing to do with to give the appearance of good hygiene/health practices. Its so there hands don't stink of fish at the end of the day,  most Thais are very clean when it come to there own bodys