Man's Suit

ThaiBob

Thread from last year:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/874489-where-to-get-a-good-suit-made/#comment-10136249

Probably nothing new in that area since last year. The quality in Pattaya will not come up to that you'll find in just a few shops in Bangkok, for a premium price. It may be good 'nuff, but it takes persistence and time to get it there.

7 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Thread from last year:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/874489-where-to-get-a-good-suit-made/#comment-10136249

Probably nothing new in that area since last year. The quality in Pattaya will not come up to that you'll find in just a few shops in Bangkok, for a premium price. It may be good 'nuff, but it takes persistence and time to get it there.

Thanks for that link, doesn't look very promising. He is staying at the Intercontinental or Royal Cliff, maybe there is a tailor on site that might meet his standard? 

9 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

Thanks for that link, doesn't look very promising. He is staying at the Intercontinental or Royal Cliff, maybe there is a tailor on site that might meet his standard? 

If we're really lucky someone w/ actual experience w/ those will weigh in on that. Otherwise, it's hard to say but the bias will be negative. If your family member has experience w/ tailored suits, knows what to look for, knows how to specify in detail, and has time for fittings and firm patience for working w/ the tailor until it's right, then--well, maybe. :) Only pay a small deposit up front.

Try Classic across from Royal Garden on a small side Soi parallel to 2nd Road.

I suggest that the family member bring a suit that fits him reasonably well so that the tailor can copy it partially.  Classic can update to the desired lapels, cuff buttons, etc.  Figure it will take a week to 10 days depending on number of fittings at any quality place.

don't think you would find  any tailors at all in Pattaya, good or bad

Pattaya is all about made to measure (and mostly not good)

(BKK is pretty much the same, there are a few (less than 10) tailors left in BKK though)

however, some of the made to measure shops in BKK has cloth/fabric out of this world,

very very good stuff (at a price)

if you want quality tailored suits, try London-UK or NYC-USA or Stockholm-Sweden

On 11/22/2016 at 7:53 PM, ThaiBob said:

Chances are there is and he will be charged extra for something that ultimately is made in the tailor shops behind Tukcom on Pattaya Tai. He can try Michelle on Beach Road (next to TQ and between Soi 12 and 13) where the suit will probably come from the same shops as above but the 5-star hotel lobby markup will be avoided. I have lawyer friends that get suited up once a year at Michelle's when they come in from the US and they have no complaints about their multiple purchases with the caveat not to rush the fitting processes. They are even happy to let-out and/or take-in the previous years purchase depending on the customers changing waistline.

michelle at TQ.jpg

14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Chances are there is and he will be charged extra for something that ultimately is made in the tailor shops behind Tukcom on Pattaya Tai. He can try Michelle on Beach Road (next to TQ and between Soi 12 and 13) where the suit will probably come from the same shops as above but the 5-star hotel lobby markup will be avoided. I have lawyer friends that get suited up once a year at Michelle's when they come in from the US and they have no complaints about their multiple purchases with the caveat not to rush the fitting processes. They are even happy to let-out and/or take-in the previous years purchase depending on the customers changing waistline.

Had a few shirts made at Michelle's and they did a decent job at a very reasonable price. I wouldn't call them top quality by any means (which is my I didn't mention them) but good 'nuff for average needs. As a small shop, they offer a small selection of material. I confess the location beside TQ gave them the critical edge over the competition around town. ;)

Now I did try Classic for a suit once and after a few fittings, getting rid of the shoulder pads & all, had to fight for another one needed. I also evidently misheard the price quoted as it turned out more than I expected. Gotta write that down next time. ;) In the end it was an OK suit.

Besides bringing along a suit for tailors to copy, a good option in Thailand is to buy a quality name off the rack, here or (better) abroad, and have it tailored to measure here.

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

He can try Michelle on Beach Road (next to TQ and between Soi 12 and 13) where the suit will probably come from the same shops as above but the 5-star hotel lobby markup will be avoided.

A mate uses them yearly on his holiday trips and is always satisfied.

Last time he was there just at the beginning of this month.

He is what you call a "strong guy" far from buying off the rack.

AMA fashion on corner second road / central pattaya road is one of the best in my view, if you search the Pattaya forum, you will find that many posters recommended that shop

But... quality is mainly about choosing the fabric and that is where the price comes in.

AMA fashion does NOT provide good fitting 24-hour suits, your family member will be looking at 2-3 fitting sessions over 5-10 days, specially in High Season.