Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

I don't know for sure and neither do you and I am not speaking for anyone other than myself. If you want to panic and read more into what has been written go right ahead. Logic tells me they grandfathered people before because they know a new requirement should not be done retroactively.  I am optimistic that sanity will prevail. If you want to be pessimistic- please go right ahead.  Right now there is a proposal pending- that's all.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

Is there a link to the Thai version of that web page section? I need to send it to my fiancee so that she will understand why the wedding is OFF.  Leave it to the venal Thais to destroy lives and retirement plans of even those who are helping to prop up their corrupt economy. I won't look back once I'm living in Cambodia.

So you're not going to marry your fiancé because you can't get the visa you want?  You call the thais venal but that sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.  

2 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I don't know for sure and neither do you and I am not speaking for anyone other than myself. If you want to panic and read more into what has been written go right ahead. Logic tells me they grandfathered people before because they know a new requirement should not be done retroactively.  I am optimistic that sanity will prevail. If you want to be pessimistic- please go right ahead.  Right now there is a proposal pending- that's all.

That's better.

Sounds a bit different from your previous post that said " you WILL be grandfathered".

Oh and I never said that I know better, I rather pointed out that NOBODY know the details yet.

There are people from the 90s who got extensions when the requirement was 200K and are still getting extensions using the same requirement.  When the age was lowered from 60 to 55 the requirement was 500K. These same people are still using that same level when they get extensions.  The requirement is now 800K.  If it goes to 3 Million I am confident all of the aforementioned will continue to get their extensions at the level that was in force at that time of their first extension. Since the 1990s until today- there have been a variety of Thai Governments- both civilian and military and all have followed that scenario.

Just now, Thaidream said:

There are people from the 90s who got extensions when the requirement was 200K and are still getting extensions using the same requirement.  When the age was lowered from 60 to 55 the requirement was 500K. These same people are still using that same level when they get extensions.  The requirement is now 800K.  If it goes to 3 Million I am confident all of the aforementioned will continue to get their extensions at the level that was in force at that time of their first extension. Since the 1990s until today- there have been a variety of Thai Governments- both civilian and military and all have followed that scenario.

Hope you're right - I've got nine years in. I did notice when I did my last extension that the Immigration office made a note of how long I had been here, which they'd never done before.

4 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Just to verify what you said here...  Are you saying that someone on a retirement extension since the 90's when the requirement was only 200k only has to show 200k on the bank to renew now, in 2016?

1 hour ago, tukkytuktuk said:

How many times do I have to post this?

The Royal Thai Government whose PM is Prayuth has an official website. On it recently posted is the cabinet meeting held on Tuesday about Long Stay Visas.

Here's the link:-

Read it.

http://www.thaigov.go.th/index.php/en/cabinet-synopsis-/item/109144-the-cabinet-meeting-on-tuesday-november-22-2016

I cannot believe you lot.

It's written in black and white.

This is the new retirement visa.

In denial or what?

Nnt news

Government website

10 Media outlets news

Repeat after me

I'm not a visa expert but I am betting if you come from a rich country then you are expected to be rich. Simple as that. No more cheap charlie allowed.

You need to calm down. You've quoted the link to an official translation of the proposed new visa that clearly spells out what's going on and you're still panicking. Unbelievable!

• If you have a 1 year extension of stay, issued by immigration in Thailand, based on retirement (over 50), that is wrongly called a "retirement visa", NOTHING is changing.
  • The government have proposed a change to the existing Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant 'O-A' visa which is currently valid for 1 year and gives a 1 year permit to stay every time you enter during that year.
  • It is issued to over 50's whether they are retired or not.
  • They have identified that 15 nationalities that use this visa and seem to be targeting those for a new (arguably better) 10 year visa.
  • The exact terms of the new visa are unclear and no doubt The Immigration Bureau and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will have to work out the details.
  • The Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant 'O-A' Visa is an ALTERNATIVE way to stay in Thailand long term, and the visa holder does not have to apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement at their local immigration office.

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

Just to verify what you said here...  Are you saying that someone on a retirement extension since the 90's when the requirement was only 200k only has to show 200k on the bank to renew now, in 2016?

ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU
No. 327/2557
Subject: Criteria and Conditions for Consideration of an Alien’s Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand 

(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:
(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with fluids maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000

(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000 

9 minutes ago, mcfish said:

I can see in my future a marriage to a pattaya hookers for a one off 100k fee

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Wait until 2am, you will get it for 50k and no bar fine

5 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Yes, there are people from the 90's who have extended every year and their financial requirement was and still is 200K per year.

Wouldn't that be nice... so if someone has stayed continuously at the 800k/65 per month level, they will continue with that requirement even if it has been increased for new applicants?

Is there a link to the Thai version of that web page section? I need to send it to my fiancee so that she will understand why the wedding is OFF.  Leave it to the venal Thais to destroy lives and retirement plans of even those who are helping to prop up their corrupt economy. I won't look back once I'm living in Cambodia.

Poor excuse to call off the wedding. O visas and Marriage Extensions are not affected.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

25 minutes ago, digibum said:

So you're not going to marry your fiancé because you can't get the visa you want?  You call the thais venal but that sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.  

It is not that I can't get the visa I WANT, but that I do NOT qualify because my income does not meet the 100 thousand baht level and also   because my age prevents me from getting medical  coverage at a price I can afford. I did not move here so that I could spend money I do not have. Does that answer your question? I am 66 and I cannot spend 600 dollars a month on a crap insurance policy which does not cover pre-existing conditions (cancer and brain surgery in my case). Yes, the Thais are venal and simply do not want ANY foreigners here that do not meet their definition of "quality".

Logic and past experience dictates to me that if a person has an extension right now at the 800K level then that is their financial requirement unless they break the chain of extensions. I certainly cannot guarantee it but that is what has been done in the past when financials changed.

2 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Logic and past experience dictates to me that if a person has an extension right now at the 800K level then that is their financial requirement unless they break the chain of extensions. I certainly cannot guarantee it but that is what has been done in the past when financials changed.

I do not have a visa at the 800K level. I have a visa based on monthly income of at least 65 thousand baht a month. My income is actually 87 thousand per month. but that is not enough for the Thais. Hello Cambodia....No more pointless 90 day reports.

No. Your tone before implied certainty. That's the wrong response now. I never said panic either. Maybe later depending on what we actually learn about the FACTS.

No confirmation  of that. Until it is confirmed, I will assume that my Extension of Stay is coming to an end.

Why would you think that the announcement of a new option for longstay visas, designed to encourage longer stays in Thailand, would have any effect on other visa types or Extensions?

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Why would you think that the announcement of a new option for longstay visas, designed to encourage longer stays in Thailand, would have any effect on other visa types or Extensions?

I hope you are right, but past experience and the poor record of Thailand on these matters indicates otherwise.

3 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

I would say that it makes perfect sense for the person moving to Thailand. That person arrives in Thailand with a visa that can, if done correctly, be extended for a second year. Then that person can move to the extension of stay. I don't think anyone is saying that the non imm o-a is a permanent solution.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

being a newbie on TV and also new to the age of 50, i just started the review/process of getting a retirement visa.  i did not know the O-A could be extended in thailand.  a previous poster cleared that up for me.  and i agree with you, it works just fine given this new info (new to me).

9 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

I do not have a visa at the 800K level. I have a visa based on monthly income of at least 65 thousand baht a month. My income is actually 87 thousand per month. but that is not enough for the Thais. Hello Cambodia....No more pointless 90 day reports.

I not understand people like you!

I think you should leave thailand and go to your praised cambodia.

It's because of people like you who see always the negative first. Even when nothing is confirmed yet.

But it's the nature of some people to complain  (most time about nothing) but important they have something to say.

Actually there are 3 instances of grandfathering financials in the current police order- one was when the limit of 200K was raised to 500K (also age lowered); the other was when the current limit was raised to 800K; and the other was the 3Million investment extension was raised to 10M.

Therefore if one is in any of those categories the financials in force on the extension approval remain in force today. I would find is hard to believe that the new requirements if they do indeed come into force will apply retroactively to all of the above and those on the 800K extension. Since there is already a precedent established in law it should continue.

Actually there are 3 instances of grandfathering financials in the current police order- one was when the limit of 200K was raised to 500K (also age lowered); the other was when the current limit was raised to 800K; and the other was the 3Million investment extension was raised to 10M.
Therefore if one is in any of those categories the financials in force on the extension approval remain in force today. I would find is hard to believe that the new requirements if they do indeed come into force will apply retroactively to all of the above and those on the 800K extension. Since there is already a precedent established in law it should continue.

Should not the same thing as will. We have to wait to know.