Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

US$100k can be gone in no time for operations and medical bills that can come as you get old.

Look like many here have all their money tied up in a property they dont own and have no control over, and no other assets or money.

I think this is why the thought of new income requirements making many nervous.

All money tied up in house and none left to show IMMs.

Id guess many dont even have the 400k to show for proper marriage visa.

Many couples in the west will sell their house if theres a medical emergency.

I know one guy who own a house here, he even sign a paper to say he didnt buy the house.

cant even imagine what wife would say if he told her "have to sell the house for medical bills"

Or better "have to sell the house to put in bank to show immigration.

Quite simple now, i think its the end of "free house" time for Thai teeraks.

And now if you wanna stay here, this is a warning have at least 3million baht to spare.

dont go buying houses you donkeys.555

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bamukloy said:

US$100k can be gone in no time for operations and medical bills that can come as you get old.

Look like many here have all their money tied up in a property they dont own and have no control over, and no other assets or money.

I think this is why the thought of new income requirements making many nervous.

All money tied up in house and none left to show IMMs.

Id guess many dont even have the 400k to show for proper marriage visa.

Many couples in the west will sell their house if theres a medical emergency.

I know one guy who own a house here, he even sign a paper to say he didnt buy the house.

cant even imagine what wife would say if he told her "have to sell the house for medical bills"

Or better "have to sell the house to put in bank to show immigration.

Quite simple now, i think its the end of "free house" time for Thai teeraks.

And now if you wanna stay here, this is a warning have at least 3million baht to spare.

dont go buying houses you donkeys.555

Yes, funny and scary at the same time.  Not to speak ill of Thai people but, uhm, let's not ignore the elephant in the room here.  How many wives would give up a fully paid for house to pay for your bypass surgery?  Some would but I suspect a lot would say Mai Dai.  

2 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

This is very confusing. I came in from KL on a 30 day arrival visa. Went to Bkk immigration and converted (change of status option, I guess)  to a 90 day non immigrant "O" visa based on retirement, with instructions to return for my one year extension  within seven days, I believe it was, of the expiry of that visa. The ninety day was stamped to last until 11Jun 2016, and the subsequent one year permission is stamped on 8 June 2016 to last until 11June, 2017. I am confused about why folks keep saying you must do this in your home country, or "...typically from neighboring country."
Not my experience, at least, and I had expected to have to go to Ventiane or wherever to do this, based on such statements.
I am glad I asked at immigration when I went to extend that thirty day "on arrival" permission from KL, which trip was necessitated by being one day late applying for the previous extension.
Confusing ain't half of it! :shock1:

HUH?
Not sure what you're on about, dude.

I provided a list of options to ask another member what he meant by retirement visa. He acted like it was clear what he had done. It was not clear. 

People trying to communicate clearly about these matters need to provide more details. 

ONE of the options I provided was what you did. Got a 90 day O visa in Thailand.

Then you got an annual extension. You don't have a retirement visa.

You had the OPTION of getting an O-A "Long Stay" visa in your home country.

I never said that was a requirement. 

Government authorities that have announced this new change as being a "Long Stay" visa would do well to explain it better exactly what they mean.

BASIC QUESTIONS such as does this mean they are replacing the current O-A (available only from home countries) with the new thing. Also will this new thing be possible to start IN Thailand, unlike the current "Long Stay" O-A visas.

You obviously understand what you did but perhaps you don't understand that you had other paths to start in the system. 

More nonsense from people who do not understand Thai people and how they think and live- my first Thai wife and I sold a  fully paid house after our American medical insurance refused to continue payment for 5 Million Baht to cover my Thai wife's medical expenses in Bangkok for chemotherapy and radiation. It extended her life by 10 years before she passed on. I had to sign papers from the land office indicating I agreed to the sale which I did. So don't tell me Thais would never sell a fully paid home for medical care.

I am currently remarried to another Thai and retired in Thailand and have another fully paid home which I would never sell to cover my own medical needs or to put 3M in a Thai bank. I worked too hard to get this house and have made a will to make sure my Thai family is taken care of after my demise.

There is no 'elephant in the room' nor are we 'donkeys' as one poster called us-many of us are long term residents of Thailand who understand exactly how Thai people think and act and we do not appreciate being lectured to by people who have no idea of what the hell they are talking about nor have any real experience in living.

11 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

More nonsense from people who do not understand Thai people and how they think and live- my first Thai wife and I sold a  fully paid house after our American medical insurance refused to continue payment for 5 Million Baht to cover my Thai wife's medical expenses in Bangkok for chemotherapy and radiation. It extended her life by 10 years before she passed on. I had to sign papers from the land office indicating I agreed to the sale which I did. So don't tell me Thais would never sell a fully paid home for medical care.

I am currently remarried to another Thai and retired in Thailand and have another fully paid home which I would never sell to cover my own medical needs or to put 3M in a Thai bank. I worked too hard to get this house and have made a will to make sure my Thai family is taken care of after my demise.

There is no 'elephant in the room' nor are we 'donkeys' as one poster called us-many of us are long term residents of Thailand who understand exactly how Thai people think and act and we do not appreciate being lectured to by people who have no idea of what the hell they are talking about nor have any real experience in living.

Sorry to hear about your former wife.

But you did not quite grasp the comment. The question was would the Thai partner agree to sell the house if YOU had the emergency, not the other way round.

Yes, I certainly believe that to be the case- when you are married 25 years to someone- it's called trust. However, as one ages as I have- I would not want my wife to sell anything. Most long term marriages would also have the same result. I can't speak for every relationship between a Thai and foreigner nor can anyone else.

The way the argument was presented was somewhat flippant . The thread is about a new 10 year Visa and not Thai-Foreign relationships. However, just like Western marriages which end in a 50% divorce rate- some Thai-Western marriages are good; some not so good. A Thai woman has a right to want security in their marriage the same way a Westerner woman wants security. The question can also be rephrased - would a western woman sell her property in an emergency for her husband? Some would; some wouldn't. 

I do know this- no one -Western or Thai in their right mind would sell a fully paid home or property to put 3 Million Baht in a Thai bank to secure a Visa or extension of stay.

Poster just reported from Hua Hin Immigration visit. Was told the 10 Year is a visa option and not replacing anything. Also, the implementation will be delayed.

Oh no the jing thing is not going to be happy about this at all. So that's 3 out 3 reports and not all from the same office

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, newnative said:

Poster just reported from Hua Hin Immigration visit. Was told the 10 Year is a visa option and not replacing anything. Also, the implementation will be delayed.

Thanks for posting this. I wish the government could provide clarification before they release anything. It would certainly save much confusion. They change the rules frequently on a whim, plus the rules may vary for different locations. Add to that the fact that some rules are not enforced or selectively enforced and you have the prescription for chaos. TIT.

On 28/11/2016 at 10:24 AM, newnative said:

Yes, I am aware of it--been waiting awhile to make sure they have the kinks out and Immigration is fully up to speed with it.

Never gonna happen.

It's very user unfriendly, but it is not impossible to do it.

The main thing is to remember you must submit the computer 90 day report no LATER than 7 days BEFORE your 90 days are up (you won't lose any days doing this). They usually approve within 24 hours, you then print out the approval and put it in your passport, just like at the immigration office.

OK we have some clarity! 

Not replacing the current visas.

Not happening anytime soon.

Everything the current government says is basically wishful thinking, and that's being kind.

Let's shut this baby down, it's getting off topic anyway...

16 minutes ago, dhream said:

Never gonna happen.

It's very user unfriendly, but it is not impossible to do it.

The main thing is to remember you must submit the computer 90 day report no LATER than 7 days BEFORE your 90 days are up (you won't lose any days doing this). They usually approve within 24 hours, you then print out the approval and put it in your passport, just like at the immigration office.

Thanks for the info!  The process is pretty streamlined at Jomtien Immigration so I will probably keep doing it in person for now.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

HUH?
Not sure what you're on about, dude.

I provided a list of options to ask another member what he meant by retirement visa. He acted like it was clear what he had done. It was not clear. 

People trying to communicate clearly about these matters need to provide more details. 

ONE of the options I provided was what you did. Got a 90 day O visa in Thailand.

Then you got an annual extension. You don't have a retirement visa.

You had the OPTION of getting an O-A "Long Stay" visa in your home country.

I never said that was a requirement. 

Government authorities that have announced this new change as being a "Long Stay" visa would do well to explain it better exactly what they mean.

BASIC QUESTIONS such as does this mean they are replacing the current O-A (available only from home countries) with the new thing. Also will this new thing be possible to start IN Thailand, unlike the current "Long Stay" O-A visas.

You obviously understand what you did but perhaps you don't understand that you had other paths to start in the system. 

My point above is that, while you did indeed mention a variety of options, some advisors have in the past illustrated a single option as the "must do". Sorry I was not more clear about what I "was on about". :post-4641-1156694083:

2 hours ago, newnative said:

I would have guessed the implementation would be delayed. The main reason for that is look at how complex the half baked rules are about bank account treatment and medical insurance as well. It wouldn't shock me if indeed this new thing never happens at all, though I suppose I would guess it probably will eventually.

As far as "not replacing anything" I will continue to take such vague language with some skepticism as they come from front line officers not in charge of actually writing the national rules. Add to that that the details of the national rules don't even exist yet. So these down the line officers are providing final definitive answers to expats about something that doesn't exist yet, that isn't finished yet ... BASED ON WHAT?!? 

Also, has one person asked anyone in credible authority (that would NOT be a front line officer) whether this new thing is intended to replace the O-A visas currently only issued abroad from home countries? From what I gathered, nobody has even asked the provincial officers that SPECIFIC question. Also keep in mind, provincial officers, just like many people here often use incorrect terminology. So saying O-A visas to them, they often assume you mean something else (see the list I recently posted). Keep in mind O-A visas are not issued in Thailand so their exposure to them would be to see them as equivalent to a regular O visa when the time comes for people that started on O-A visas to apply for their first annual retirement extension. 

The hint I see (albeit certainly not conclusive ... nothing here is yet) that links O-A visas (obtained only in home countries) to this new VERY half baked change is in the press reports calling the new thing LONG STAY VISAS. That is exactly what O-A visas are called on Thai embassy websites abroad -- LONG STAY VISAS. Single O visas are not that and neither are annual retirement extensions. So I think the BASIC question I've posed here about O-A visas (and whether this new thing will truly be SEPARATE from them) remains a very relevant and STILL unanswered question.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I would have guessed the implementation would be delayed. The main reason for that is look at how complex the half baked rules are about bank account treatment and medical insurance as well. It wouldn't shock me if indeed this new thing never happens at all, though I suppose I would guess it probably will eventually.

As far as "not replacing anything" I will continue to take such vague language with some skepticism as they come from front line officers not in charge with actually writing the national rules. Add to that that the details of the national rules don't even exist yet adds to that.

Also, has one person asked anyone in credible authority (that would NOT be a front line officer) whether this new thing is intended to replace the O-A visas currently only issued abroad from home countries? From what I gathered, nobody has even asked the provincial officers that SPECIFIC question. Also keep in mind, provincial officers, just like many people here often use incorrect terminology. So saying O-A visas to them, they might assume you mean something else (see the list of four general paths) I recently listed.

The hint I see (albeit certainly not conclusive ... nothing here is yet) that links O-A visas (obtained only in home countries to this new VERY half baked changed is in the press reports calling the new thing LONG STAY VISAS. That is exactly what O-A visas are called on Thai embassy websites abroad -- LONG STAY VISAS. Single O visas are not that and neither are annual retirement extensions. So I think the BASIC question I've posed here about O-A visas (and whether this new thing will truly be SEPARATE from them) remains a very relevant and STILL unanswered question.

Cheers.

Very good analysis and valid points. Asking I-O flunkies questions is like consulting a crystal ball. Answers differ with whom you ask and where. Typical Thai crap. No consistency, no uniformity, no accountability. Rule of whim.

Here are my best guesses based on all clues I have read so far about how this will all eventually shake out. Not suggesting my guesses are better than others. We'll have to wait to see how well our guesses turn out to be.

This new visa --

Guess it will eventually happen but that the rules won't be exactly as first published. 

Annual retirement extension --

Guess that current requirements won't be immediately changed by this new thing for either financial or health insurance. 

Ability to get single entry O visas in neighboring nations to later get retirement extensions at current requirements --

Guess that won't be immediately changed by this new thing.

Ability to get single entry O visas in THAILAND to later get retirement extensions at current requirements --

Guess that won't be immediately changed by this new thing

O-A visas from home nations at current levels --

Not enough information to make an educated guess whether that will be impacted by the new visa.

Will there be TWO varieties of O-A Long Stay visas, one with the current requirements and the second with the new set --

Not enough information to make an educated guess whether that will be impacted by the new visa.

Will the new Long Stay visa be able to be started IN Thailand unlike the current O-A Long Stay visa?

I guess that it WILL.

Assuming the new Long Stay visa eventually comes into effect, will that mean there will later be impacts on things like ability to get O visas in neighboring nations, O visas in Thailand (other than the new Long Stay at new levels), financial level increases, health insurance requirements where there were none before? --

I guess eventually some of those things will be impacted, but not immediately, and not necessarily directly related to this new Long Stay visa. Eventually could be 10 or 20 years. Who knows? Not me. 

Grandfathering IF current levels are indeed impacted, sooner or later, related to this new Long Stay visa or other changes --

I guess grandfathering will then be offered to people currently in the system based on historical precedent. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

As far as "not replacing anything" I will continue to take such vague language with some skepticism as they come from front line officers not in charge of actually writing the national rules. Add to that that the details of the national rules don't even exist yet. So these down the line officers are providing final definitive answers to expats about something that doesn't exist yet, that isn't finished yet ... BASED ON WHAT?!? 

Also, has one person asked anyone in credible authority (that would NOT be a front line officer) whether this new thing is intended to replace the O-A visas currently only issued abroad from home countries? From what I gathered, nobody has even asked the provincial officers that SPECIFIC question. Also keep in mind, provincial officers, just like many people here often use incorrect terminology. So saying O-A visas to them, they often assume you mean something else (see the list I recently posted). Keep in mind O-A visas are not issued in Thailand so their exposure to them would be to see them as equivalent to a regular O visa when the time comes for people that started on O-A visas to apply for their first annual retirement extension. 

The hint I see (albeit certainly not conclusive ... nothing here is yet) that links O-A visas (obtained only in home countries) to this new VERY half baked change is in the press reports calling the new thing LONG STAY VISAS. That is exactly what O-A visas are called on Thai embassy websites abroad -- LONG STAY VISAS. Single O visas are not that and neither are annual retirement extensions. So I think the BASIC question I've posed here about O-A visas (and whether this new thing will truly be SEPARATE from them) remains a very relevant and STILL unanswered question.

Cheers.

Sounds like you are the IDEAL PERSON to ask all these questions to someone in "credible authority".  Looking forward to your report!

I don't know any such people.

Talking about very high level government officials. 

The people behind MAKING these laws and finalizing the implementation rules and details.

That's complicated by that this new visa may be related (or possibly even replace) to a visa that is started abroad, the O-A, and may or may not also be available to start in Thailand (unlike the current O-A). As others have indicated, that's different government departments involved in embassies abroad and internal immigration. 

The person on this forum that would normally know the most (certainly not me) would be Ubonjoe and the one post he made on this matter indicated his OPINION ONLY that the proposed change probably wouldn't change current retirement extensions but (quite rationally) he was still WAITING for more information.

I concur. 

He hasn't even ventured a public GUESS yet on how this new "Long Stay" may or may not impact on current O-A visas.

If people want to inflate OPINIONS and the word PROBABLY with fully established final facts on something that doesn't exist yet ... enjoy that. Doesn't make sense to me.

Again ... WAIT. 

I realize there have been some obnoxious HOTHEAD posts on here personally attacking me for fear mongering. Please actually examine what I have been posting and be fair about that. Stating the facts that the law and rules haven't been finalized yet, that the public communications have been massively unclear, that front line immigration officers may not be 100 percent credible on yet to exist laws especially if they impact on Thai embassies abroad, suggesting that people JUST WAIT until they come to FINAL conclusions about all this, is NOT fear mongering in the slightest.

Edited by Jingthing

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

A 90 day O visa from either of those places is not technically a retirement visa. 

True. But I think it's more akin to a "retirement visa" than what a number of people are adamant they get from their local immigration office every year!

16 minutes ago, OJAS said:

True. But I think it's more akin to a "retirement visa" than what a number of people are adamant they get from their local immigration office every year!

Well in the sense that it is a visa and not an extension, yes, you're correct.

Good summary JT- if the New Visa is ever implemented and replaces the O-A which is available only out of Thailand it will certainly limit the numbers of future retirees. I am more incline it will be a special Visa but we will await the details but I have a feeling it won't be anytime soon.

The Immigration will get wind of any changes first so we will watch for reports from the group as extensions go forward through the coming months.

Good summary JT- if the New Visa is ever implemented and replaces the O-A which is available only out of Thailand it will certainly limit the numbers of future retirees. I am more incline it will be a special Visa but we will await the details but I have a feeling it won't be anytime soon.

The Immigration will get wind of any changes first so we will watch for reports from the group as extensions go forward through the coming months.

It's gonna take more than just coming months, there is already a report today stating it's delayed which is the long term version of just "5 mins" in Thailand ha ha
I firmly believe it will be scrapped and some one in "authority" will be demoted!!!

9 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

If it is indeed scrapped- we just won't hear about it again... In Thailand programs etc just simply disappear.

Yes, it might be scrapped.

The bank account offer is really very poor for applicants, that is, assuming they have the other choice of the current system.

Also the rough rules they have stated so far sound quite the nightmare to enforce, given the strict proposed rules that greatly restricts the class of things that the money can be used for. 

Also, the proposed top up back to 3 million after 5 years ... makes an unattractive offer even uglier. 

However, the INCOME offer is actually pretty good if you've got the income and they adjust the health insurance thing to be more realistic about covering for outpatient care (which generally people do NOT buy in Thailand even when they have the insurance). 

So if the goal is to actually attract large numbers into this program, there is quite a bit of work that would still be needed to make it more attractive and realistic. 

If they're doing a program that just attracts a few people, again assuming the current system is kept, WHY BOTHER to do it at all? 

Edited by Jingthing

13 minutes ago, mcfish said:

It's gonna take more than just coming months, there is already a report today stating it's delayed which is the long term version of just "5 mins" in Thailand ha ha
I firmly believe it will be scrapped and some one in "authority" will be demoted!!!

How can it be reported as being delayed when they didn't give a date for when it was starting?

The visa has been 'authorized' at cabinet level. Who do you think has the authority to scrap the proposal and which higher authority will be demoting the cabinet?

Edited by elviajero

How can it be reported as being delayed when they didn't give a date for when it was starting?

The visa has been 'authorized' at cabinet level. Who do you think has the authority to scrap the proposal and which higher authority will be demoting the cabinet?

I don't know how long you lived here or if you even do but it's common knowledge that "delayed" means scrapped.. It just the non confronting method thais prefer to use, they won't even talk about it again, just wait and see if you're patient for several year's
It was a silly idea that was approved! No date and now it's not approved.. Easy peasy

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

So where did you obtain it? Vientiane or Penang?

Local Immigration Office, go every year in November. It says in my passport Retirement Visa, I get a new one every year, why would I want to go to Laos or Cambodia when I get it down the road?