Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

Local Immigration Office, go every year in November. It says in my passport Retirement Visa, I get a new one every year, why would I want to go to Laos or Cambodia when I get it down the road?

No it doesn't. Post a picture of your extension stamps that say retirement visa and you win a prize. Your annual retirement extensions are stamped retirement. Not retirement visa. Extensions are not visas. If you wish to post coherently here about visa issues perhaps learn the correct terms.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

I don't know how long you lived here or if you even do but it's common knowledge that "delayed" means scrapped.. It just the non confronting method thais prefer to use, they won't even talk about it again, just wait and see if you're patient for several year's
It was a silly idea that was approved! No date and now it's not approved.. Easy peasy

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Nothing has been delayed, and I don't need to have lived here for the last 21 years to know that!

If you have evidence that it has been delayed or scrapped then post it, otherwise you are spreading rumor.

The cabinet approved the proposal less than two weeks ago, and now it is down to the MFA and TIB to iron-out the details and announce the start date.

53 minutes ago, nong38 said:

Local Immigration Office, go every year in November. It says in my passport Retirement Visa, I get a new one every year, why would I want to go to Laos or Cambodia when I get it down the road?

This is a perfect example of why this thread has gone on and on. People don't understand the difference between a visa and an extension of stay and call their extension of stay a "Retirement Visa".

The reports mentioned the change to a 1 year visa, and because some call their extension a visa they wrongly believe the proposed change affects them.

This is a perfect example of why this thread has gone on and on. People don't understand the difference between a visa and an extension of stay and call their extension of stay a "Retirement Visa".

The reports mentioned the change to a 1 year visa, and because some call their extension a visa they wrongly believe the proposed change affects them.

I would kind of agree with you sort of but the reality is that both the "press" and even immigration officers and staff use incorrect terms as well.

My funniest example of this is one year I came in for my annual retirement extension and told the intake person that. Deer in the headlights look. So then I just said retirement visa.

Nothing has been delayed, and I don't need to have lived here for the last 21 years to know that!

If you have evidence that it has been delayed or scrapped then post it, otherwise you are spreading rumor.

The cabinet approved the proposal less than two weeks ago, and now it is down to the MFA and TIB to iron-out the details and announce the start date.

Well then scroll back on this thread to about 10 hours ago and it's right there. Projects get delayed all the time here just look at the pattaya to hua hin ferry that's was approved and set for launch 31st January, ready to rock and got scrapped 2 days ago... No surprises

And while we have members actively asking the hard questions at immigration we have the warriors sitting in there little rooms denying denying denying. JT of course being grand poo pah

Now why don't YOU get out there tomorrow and ask some questions yourself? Some how I doubt it..

7 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Well then scroll back on this thread to about 10 hours ago and it's right there. Projects get delayed all the time here just look at the pattaya to hua hin ferry that's was approved and set for launch 31st January, ready to rock and got scrapped 2 days ago... No surprises

And while we have members actively asking the hard questions at immigration we have the warriors sitting in there little rooms denying denying denying. JT of course being grand poo pah

Now why don't YOU get out there tomorrow and ask some questions yourself? Some how I doubt it..

Ok, so you haven't got any evidence of it being delayed other than rumors and misunderstanding on this forum.

I have several close contacts that work for immigration. I've spoken to all three as well as my local immigration. They have all confirmed that no start date has been issued and that they don't have any details about the new visa.

They have also all confirmed that no orders have been received about any, actual or proposed, changes to extensions of stay based on retirement.

This proposal has been blown up out of all proportions due to ignorance and misunderstanding.

The important point that needs to be clarified is whether or not the 1 year 'O-A' is staying. The rest of the discussions and speculation is pointless.

Ok, so you haven't got any evidence of it being delayed other than rumors and misunderstanding on this forum.

I have several close contacts that work for immigration. I've spoken to all three as well as my local immigration. They have all confirmed that no start date has been issued and that they don't have any details about the new visa.

They have also all confirmed that no orders have been received about any, actual or proposed, changes to extensions of stay based on retirement.

This proposal has been blown up out of all proportions due to ignorance and misunderstanding.

The important point that needs to be clarified is whether or not the 1 year 'O-A' is staying. The rest of the discussions and speculation is pointless.

So an anonymous poster like yourself was today at hua hin and was informed that it was delayed and it's a rumour and a misunderstanding yet your information is not subject to the same criteria? Sure whatever you say
We already know about no changes to retirement extension as myself and 2 others have physically verified it

50 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Aha. As you probably noticed, I've also been focused on that BASIC important question that has not been addressed. Does this new change, if it happens, replace the O-A visa? It's interesting to me that with your good contacts, they don't know either!

If they don't know, there is no way WE could know.

So this is a bunch of chatter leading nowhere UNTIL we know more.

Again ... WAIT!

Edited by Jingthing

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's why I STOPPED chattering on this subject sometime back, once it became clear that pretty much nothing was actually known, at least thus far, about the O-A visas and retirement extensions issues, and no official clarification has been made regarding those since the "10-Year visa" plan was made public.

Waiting to see where, if anywhere, this is all going to end up.

BTW, I'm glad and thankful for those who have been in contact with their local Immigration officers and asking them about the issue. It DOES deserve an answer, somewhere, somehow.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's why I STOPPED chattering on this subject sometime back, once it became clear that pretty much nothing was actually known, at least thus far, about the O-A visas and retirement extensions issues, and no official clarification has been made regarding those since the "10-Year visa" plan was made public.

Waiting to see where, if anywhere, this is all going to end up.

You're obviously a much wiser man than me.

The main reason I've posted so much about it is to rebut the voices of total certainty about this potential change.

It doesn't even exist so people preaching that they are certain 100 percent how all the details of this are going to eventually shake out need to be ignored.

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

So an anonymous poster like yourself was today at hua hin and was informed that it was delayed and it's a rumour and a misunderstanding yet your information is not subject to the same criteria? Sure whatever you say
We already know about no changes to retirement extension as myself and 2 others have physically verified it

It is impossible for the IO at Hua Hin to claim it's been delayed because it has yet to have been given a start date! The chances are something got lost in translation, or the 'anonymous poster' asked about a visa rumored  to be starting on December 1st and the IO did the Thai thing and said it was delayed rather than admit they haven't a clue.

Facts,

• No start date has been formally announced.
  • No delay to any start date has been formally announced.
  • No announcement, formal or otherwise, has been made claiming that the proposal has been scrapped.

Until you see a formal announcement regarding the actual start date, a delay, or it's cancellation I suggest you accept the fact that the proposal is in the process of being finalized and the visa will be rolled out at some point in the future.

Unless you rely on the 1 year 'O-A' visa to stay here you've nothing to worry about, and it doesn't matter when or if the 10 year visa is made available.

Edited by elviajero

49 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Aha. As you probably noticed, I've also been focused on that BASIC important question that has not been addressed. Does this new change, if it happens, replace the O-A visa? It's interesting to me that with your good contacts, they don't know either!

If they don't know, there is no way WE could know.

Again ... WAIT!

Me too. I've been saying that from the start. Let's wait for the full details about the new visa and it's implications on the existing 'O-A'. All that can be certain is that no proposal has been made regarding changes to extensions of stay, which is the reason many people are getting worried.

What, you, I and others that understand the visa system should be doing is helping people understand how their permission to stay is granted each year, and that the proposed change to the 'O-A' visa has no affect on the thousands that stay here with extensions of stay issued by immigration. A fact that can be verified by any IO in any office in the country.

For what it's worth, IMO the 1 year 'O-A' will stay, and they will issue a new category  of Non-Immigrant visa to facilitate the new medical based visa and it's target market.

Edited by elviajero

It is impossible for the IO at Hua Hin to claim it's been delayed because it has yet to have been given a start date! The chances are something got lost in translation, or the 'anonymous poster' asked about a visa rumored  to be starting on December 1st and the IO did the Thai thing and said it was delayed rather than admit they haven't a clue.

Facts,

• No start date has been formally announced.
  • No delay to any start date has been formally announced.
  • No announcement, formal or otherwise, has been made claiming that the proposal has been scrapped.
Until you see a formal announcement regarding the actual start date, a delay, or it's cancellation I suggest you accept the fact that the proposal is in the process of being finalized and the visa will be rolled out at some point in the future.

Unless you rely on the 1 year 'O-A' visa to stay here you've nothing to worry about, and it doesn't matter when or if the 10 year visa is made available.

"No start date has been formally announced " and now that announcement has been delayed. you don't a need start to be announced for that announcement to be delayed. If there are problems they are not going with a date that's just common sense

This visa is a dead duck

You get it now right? And I can promise you the front line plebs according to JT have a strong knowledge about this topic far far more than the guesstimate going on here

The Hua Hin poster who reported his Immigration Office experience, and which I relayed here, is not anonymous. The poster's name is 'worrab' and he posted a topic "Extension of stay at Hua Hin". He reported a positive experience with his extension and then posted the following:

" I also asked them about this supposed 10 year visa which is meant to be authorised from tomorrow. Firstly it has been delayed and more importantly it is an additional visa over and above what is now available and is not going to be replacing any extension of stays. I hope this information will put a few minds at rest."

I thought the information was useful so I passed it on here, but not word for word.  For me, whether the 10 year visa has been delayed or is still being processed is beside the point.  The main thing for me is we are getting agreement from Immigration Offices that the 10 year visa is not replacing the extension of stays that most of us use. 

The Hua Hin poster who reported his Immigration Office experience, and which I relayed here, is not anonymous. The poster's name is 'worrab' and he posted a topic "Extension of stay at Hua Hin". He reported a positive experience with his extension and then posted the following:
" I also asked them about this supposed 10 year visa which is meant to be authorised from tomorrow. Firstly it has been delayed and more importantly it is an additional visa over and above what is now available and is not going to be replacing any extension of stays. I hope this information will put a few minds at rest."
I thought the information was useful so I passed it on here, but not word for word.  For me, whether the 10 year visa has been delayed or is still being processed is beside the point.  The main thing for me is we are getting agreement from Immigration Offices that the 10 year visa is not replacing the extension of stays that most of us use. 

Thanks for that
It really rattles me when posters who are to lazy to leave their rooms and be proactive accuse those that do the real work as anonymous rumour mongers.
Time to put this whole crappy thread to bed and resume... IF.. It ever comes out of "delay"

A friend of mine is going on Tuesday to Phuket immigration for his one year extension based on retirement. He will try to find out what he can about the "new" visa requirements.

Another person I know is working with insurance companies to find out about the $10,000 / year annual insurance cover.

More info to come when I get it.

These confirmations from (probably low level) immigration officers should perhaps be taken with a pinch of salt. Over the years I've been given information on the best type of visa by various officials only to see those visa options completely wiped out not long afterwards. Just because someone wears a uniform doesn't make them privy to the full details of what might be in the pipeline, and we all know the propensity for the locals to give an authoritative answer whether they know something or not.

Got my 'new' one year extension based on retirement Thursday, did not even bother to ask about this new  one as good for another 1 year...

Best motto wait and see, so many changes in a month, how many in the next year? ....  is someone upset that this Elite membership card is making money ?  now if I'm correct not very long ago a Visa went up to 2,000 baht from 1,000 baht.... then followed a special 1,000 baht reduction for high season, then.. now totally Free ?

Yeah, the force health insurance worked so well for Obama and the Democratic party that it got them booted from the White House. Why does Thailand think there will be any takers here?

No equivalence. Thailand has a national system for citizens at a basic level. Expats aren't citizens here.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

No equivalence. Thailand has a national system for citizens at a basic level. Expats aren't citizens here.

No kidding Sherlock.  My point was, no one likes anything forced upon them if they can avoid it.

Just to inform you all that I found this government website with details of the new long stay visa.

The Government Public Relations Department.

http://thailand.prd.go.th/ewt_news.php?nid=4277&filename=index

Long-Stay Visa for Senior Tourists and New Visa Measures

24 November 2016 

The Cabinet, during its meeting on 22 November 2016, approved the extension of long-stay visa for senior tourists. At the same meeting, it also approved measures to attract tourist arrivals by waiving the visa fee and reducing the visa-on-arrival fee for tourists from many countries.

The Ministry of Public Health reported to the Cabinet that the number of foreign senior citizens seeking to stay in Thailand for a long period is on the rise. These senior tourists have applied for the non-immigrant visa (long stay). They have stayed mainly in major tourist provinces, such as Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Chon Buri, and other famous seaside provinces.

As Thailand aims to develop itself as a Medical and Wellness Tourism Center, the Ministry of Public Health and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports in their joint meeting agreed to extend the long-stay visa from one year to 10 years. The extension will be offered for tourists from 14 countries, namely Australia, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Finland, France, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Eligible foreign senior tourists must be 50 years old and over and they are required to seek the non-immigrant visa (long stay) at the Office of Thai Consul-General overseas. For those with other types of visa and wish to change it to the long-stay visa, their visa must be valid initially for five years and can be renewed for another five years in the form of a multiple entry visa.

This long-stay visa fee has been set at 10,000 baht. Eligible foreign tourists should have a monthly income of at least 100,000 baht, or a bank deposit of at least three million baht, which must be maintained for at least one year after the visa is granted.

They should also have a medical insurance coverage for one year, with at least 1,000 US dollars for out-patient care and 10,000 dollars for in-patient care each time. They must also report to a designated immigration office every 90 days.

As for new visa measures, the Cabinet agreed to the proposal by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports to waive the 1,000-baht visa fee temporarily at the Royal Thai Embassy, or the Office of Thai Consul-General.

It also agreed to reduce the fee of the visa on arrival from 2,000 baht to 1,000 baht for tourists from 19 countries, namely Andorra, Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, the Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan.

The reduction will take effect for three months, from 1 December 2016 to 28 February 2017. It is intended to stimulate tourism and encourage foreign tourists to visit Thailand during the high season.