Britain battered by winter storms

webfact

Britain battered by winter storms

606x341_350373.jpg

LONDON: -- Britain is feeling the brunt of winter storms, as heavy rains and strong winds lash the country, killing one person while another remains missing.

Rescue services announced that a 39-year-old woman they pulled from the water off Folkestone later died.

And the search to locate a missing man in South Wales has been called off until conditions improve.

The Environment Agency has issued 17 flood warnings, and 103 alerts are in place.

There was travel chaos on the rails, as parts of the track in Exeter were washed away.

Tameside and Oldham in the north were some of the worst hit by the rains with flood waters bursting through homes.

For others the ordeal is now over, a ferry that was stranded for 26 hours carrying more than 100 people has now docked at Fishguard.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-23

5 hours ago, coma said:

Penance for sending all those convicts to that horrible place downunder.  :blink:

But now all the Aussie's are happy where they are. And all the Brit's are unhappy with their lives.

They have been robbing banks, and breaking windows; in the hope that they will be sent Down Under.

cheers

7 hours ago, SgtRock said:

They are not winter storms :whistling::whistling:

Just a part of the devastation that was going to rain down on the UK if it had the gall and swingers to vote for Brexit. 

They did vote to leave, so I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

1 hour ago, BuaBS said:

They may be battered by winterstorms ( in the autumn ) , but at least they don't have to sweat in the Thai sun . I'd rather be in Britain. (for the temperature , and food ).

Its grim up North.

Im bloody freezing!

A few areas in England regularly get flooded due to overdevelopment. Previously areas of land were left undeveloped to allow heavy rainwater to drain away naturally. Over the years landowners and builders got greedy and overbuilt in some areas leaving no natural drainage. The drainage they installed in some places flows into rivers which can't cope with the water runoff from the new concrete jungle's and they flood. Unfortunately residents in these areas get their houses flooded every few years but can't afford to move as no one else will buy their properties and to make things worse for them, they are no longer able to get insurance against the flooding.

12 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Braggart !

It's not all bad

Pints of Sam Smith's Old Brewery Bitter at 84 TBT (1.90) and roasting my arse in front of a proper Yorkshire coal fire. Grand!

Edited by Grouse

15 hours ago, Grouse said:

So where's Oldham? Have they moved it to Cornwall where it's warmer? ?

To a Scotsman, Oldham isn't exactly in the North of Britain - and no, I'm not a Jock but I know a member who is :smile:.

Edited by freebyrd

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 5:41 PM, Bantex said:

A few areas in England regularly get flooded due to over development. Previously areas of land were left undeveloped to allow heavy rainwater to drain away naturally. Over the years landowners and builders got greedy and overbuilt in some areas leaving no natural drainage. The drainage they installed in some places flows into rivers which can't cope with the water runoff from the new concrete jungle's and they flood. Unfortunately residents in these areas get their houses flooded every few years but can't afford to move as no one else will buy their properties and to make things worse for them, they are no longer able to get insurance against the flooding.

Just like Patong then.  smile.gif

On 11/23/2016 at 10:39 AM, Grouse said:

Its grim up North.

Im bloody freezing!

On 11/23/2016 at 10:41 AM, bubblewrap said:

Put a warm jumper on. 

Any indication as to which of my jumpers is a warm one or not :jap:

On 11/23/2016 at 10:39 AM, Grouse said:

Its grim up North.

Im bloody freezing!

On 11/23/2016 at 10:55 AM, Grouse said:

It's not all bad

Pints of Sam Smith's Old Brewery Bitter at 84 TBT (1.90) and roasting my arse in front of a proper Yorkshire coal fire. Grand!

21 hours ago, roo860 said:

Suprised your not sitting round a candle, bloody tight arsed Yorkshireman!
emoji23.png

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Yorkshire born and yorkshire bred....strong in the arm.....but thick in thee head...........:cheesy:

18 minutes ago, petermik said:

Yorkshire born and yorkshire bred....strong in the arm.....but thick in thee head...........:cheesy:

:cheesy:  made me smile

I like what I say and I say what I like 

11 hours ago, petermik said:

11 hours ago, Caps said:

:cheesy:  made me smile

I like what I say and I say what I like 

Just tongue in cheek banter,as a Lancashire lad myself there,s nowt much wrong with Yorkshire folk............just as long as they stay over their side of the hill :thumbsup: