Buying supplements from iHerb in the US

charliebadenhop

I just got a delivery from iHerb in the US.

They have really great prices, the shipping charge was only a few dollars (don't remember now exactly how much) and as long as you keep your order below $100 (and a certain weight that I don't recall) and you  look to make sure that you don't ship by DHL etc. all is great.

The postman wanted 7 Baht as some sort of delivery charge.

GREAT value!

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken the plunge and ordered 60 USD's worth of supplements from iHerb. Setting up an account only offers one option for sending to Thailand which is what they call Global Mail.

Everything went through easily and quickly and I received a confirmation of dispatch and tracking number within 24 hours.

My only concern is that the order states that the package is being shipped by DHL-GlobalPP

I assume that they use DHL services to transfer the package to Thailand after which it enters the Thai postal system.

Hopefully there will not be the usual 'custom-duty-demands-runaround' that DHL seems to take delight in giving their regular courier customers

Rak , DHL just gets it to Thai post office then the tracking stops but you choose right service . I have just noticed for some reason after years of ordering things take much longer so you must really plan what you want and need far in advance as you run out of things . I have ordered for years but notice this new service with DHL and different label on box with individual items listed with value of thing really slowed down but what a blessing to get these compounds and prices that are almost nonexistent in Thailand . Please let us know your experience and how long delivery takes and any others who are ordering please give your feedback also . I have a friend who made two orders for first time from iHerb but never got one of them and he made them back in September for delivery in Jomtien but they credited him the first order and said they would credit him the other when they received it back . I have never myself or heard from anyone who had order lost or delayed this long but him and iHerb is taking care of things and I suspect there was a problem because of the address he used as it was very long but don't know so anyone who orders if you could give feedback on delivery times and any other issues it would be helpful for all of us who like me treasure this organization [emoji120]

• 5 weeks later...

Received my iHerb shipment of vitamins on 25th Dec, ordered on 1st Dec. Total value 58 USD.

As I mentioned above there was only one shipping option which was DHL-GlobalPP,  but this was transferred to Thailand Post and no duty was payable.

Interestingly the package contents was typed in miniscule letters so no real indication of contents, but the $ value was legible.

So one successful delivery!

• 3 weeks later...

After years of getting orders through of iherb the last 2 haven't arrived. Tracking with DHL ends at Laksi and there seems no way of checking what's happened to them as they just join the Thai regular post without tracking. I've tried ringing Thai post and customs, but no joy. I've put in another small order, so we'll see what happens to that. Interested to hear others 2017 experiences.

Over the last year I've ordered about once per month and all packages arrived within about 10-14 days.  This is to Jomtien/Pattaya.  Last order arrived a couple weeks ago, no problem.  All orders around 1000-1600 baht and never been charged anything by customs. 

Developments!  Both of my recent orders arrived today ... go figure.

One order was from iherb and the other from a different US company. Both were sent from US mid Dec by different methods, one DHL and the other USPS, so it doesn't seem like it was a problem with DHL. Maybe they just sat in customs for a few weeks. I'll continue using iherb as they have always been so good. Delays are not from their side and shipping charges are only a couple of dollars.

5 hours ago, Lumbini said:

Faraday what city are you in ( I get mine in Bangkok but takes a month + now but both orders to Jomtien condo never arrived after months and months .

I'm in Udon Thani.

My stuff came this afternoon thankfully.

• 2 weeks later...

I am amazed at all of you getting iHerb orders as they flatly (and in rather ride terms) refused to ship to me. The issue was not that the shipping address was in Thailand, but that my credit card billing address is in Thailand.  (A US issued card, but Thai billing address) So you all have credit cards with foreign billing addresses?

Sheryl ... for years all my orders with credit card in US with US billing have and still do make it to me but the three orders that were on Thai credit card were shipped but all lost ?? Go figure ?? After loosing 2 orders I made a third on that card and like 2 before showed getting in country but never to me with Thia post office I guess the problem . It will be interesting when I get to the root of this as my other account that always gets orders delivered has been so helpful in this seemingly at times third world country .

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I am amazed at all of you getting iHerb orders as they flatly (and in rather ride terms) refused to ship to me. The issue was not that the shipping address was in Thailand, but that my credit card billing address is in Thailand.  (A US issued card, but Thai billing address) So you all have credit cards with foreign billing addresses?

I have used my thai card and thai billing address and uk card with uk billing address, my current order is slow, it arrived Laksi 2nd feb not been delivered to me as yet

OK, you've all convinced me to try again. My experience was a few years back. AT tat time the online form didn't work for credit cards with a Thai address and when I called them I was told, quite rudely, that they did not accept cards with a Thai address. But sounds like things have changed.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:19 AM, Sheryl said:

In my case, yes. I also have a second US card with a Thai billing address but for international online orders, the one with the US billing address encounters fewer problems.

I've been ordering from iHerb before and since I moved to Bangkok end 2013.

For a good stretch last year, orders took around 7-10 days to arrive but since late last year, they've gone back to bad old days of 14 or more days. At first I thought it was the Christmas backlog but it's end February now and they're getting slower. I have always kept orders under $60 - the one time I went over by about $2, I was charged something like THB450 tax. This was likely in 2014.

I only just saw this notice on the checkout page. Is this correct? Has anyone ordered above $60 THIS YEAR and not been charged customs?

Untitled.jpg

On 1/24/2017 at 0:20 AM, Robbogeordie said:

After years of getting orders through of iherb the last 2 haven't arrived. Tracking with DHL ends at Laksi and there seems no way of checking what's happened to them as they just join the Thai regular post without tracking. I've tried ringing Thai post and customs, but no joy. I've put in another small order, so we'll see what happens to that. Interested to hear others 2017 experiences.

Yes, I also lost two shipments last year after many successful ones.  Iherb refunded the first one but said that's all they could do.  I moved to Vitacost which is about the same.  

• 2 months later...

Ordering supplements from abroad will get you a better price and a wider variety to choose from. Yet delivery will take longer and there might be issues with customs/clearing, shipping, etc.

Some options within Thailand:
- Vitamins https://www.blackmores.co.th and pharmacies, Boots, Watsons, etc

- Electrolytes, energy bars, gels, drink mix,... (running/cycling/hiking/etc) http://www.vitalthai.com
- Sports supplements more oriented towards gym/bodybuilding http://www.thaisupplements.com/ , & http://www.nutritiondepot.co.th

- Detox, superfoods, nut, seeds, dried fruits, etc http://healthfoodthailand.com/

• 2 months later...

My experience was order Jul 20 and delivered Jul 27 (although estimated delivery was August 18 or after).  Order was about 350 baht so no customs duty.  Postage was over 200 baht but savings more than justified.  

Archived